2 36 Volt or 3 12 Volt lithium batteries?

I know this has been discussed before, but I am slow.
    Am I understanding correctly that 3 12V 50 amp hour batteries will give me more trolling time than 2 36V 60 amp hour batteries?

No. Not even half. Look at it like this: 3 12V 50 amp hour batteries (which you would wire in series) will give you 1 36 volt 50 amp hour battery. 2 36 volt 60 amp hour batteries (which you would wire in parallel) will give you 1 36 volt 120 amp hour battery.

Wiring in series (postive on battery 1 to negative on battery 2, positive on battery 2 to negative on battery 3, hook up your trolling motor to the open posts) increases the voltage but leaves the amp hours the same. Wiring in parallel (positive to positive and negative to negative, hook your trolling motor up to whichever posts you want as long as you don't reverse polarity) increases the amp hours but leaves the voltage the same.

120 amp hours vs 50 amp hours at 36 volts.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

3. BBC SPONSOR
    If wiring them both in a 36 v configuration. Three 12v 50ah batteries will give you 50 ah.

2 36v 60ah batteries wired in parallel will give you 120 ah.

4. Member
    Thanks guys. That’s what I was not sure of.

5. Member
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anybody know anything about these batteries?

6. Member
    Three 12 v for me. If one fails in a tourney, I can find a replacement 12V anywhere. If a 36V fails, you are screwed.

^^^^^

This.

Quote Originally Posted by JDS723 View Post
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/12V-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Anybody know anything about these batteries?
    It is an online retailer based in China. I would not go that route unless you have money to waste.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Three 12 v for me. If one fails in a tourney, I can find a replacement 12V anywhere. If a 36V fails, you are screwed.
    Very true. I know!!
    Johnny
    "Short Brown & Round"

Sun Tropic Outdoors & Shooting Team

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Jackson View Post
    Unless your on it all day you can run on one just fine, just half the time.

11. Member
    3 100amp Battle Borns and your worries are over. Brutal current, high winds won't even begin to drain these.

12. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak View Post
    3 100amp Battle Borns and your worries are over. Brutal current, high winds won't even begin to drain these.
    I definitely agree with you.

13. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    I agree with the battle born, a great value.
    The Battle born is 2844 verse the lithium Pro at 4398. yet the Lithium pros is 33 pounds lighter and only 2 batteries.

This comes to play if you have room in your bilge area. Only two batteries you can access areas to change out bilge pumps with out pulling batteries to access the ares to the bilge or other stuff like props and tackle.

Today with power poles, spare props etc, that fact of having more room in bilge is more important then ever, So two battery verse three is a lot of room for other stuff plus the weight savings.

14. Member
    Pulling a Battle Born out of your bilge to access pumps is like lifting a tackle box, light and easy. Go with the 3 separate batteries for many reasons. Go with the Battle Borns for ungodly power and run time and end your worries.

15. mikesxpress

Lightbulb

Been back & forth with technical engineering at Trojan on the new Trillium batteries (made in USA) and also Pro Charging Systems (OEM for my PS4 Delta Volt charger) and am pretty comfortable that I can do a battery swap for my 3 group 31 Odyssey AGM trolling batteries to Group 24 Trillium's and as stated by Trojan, the existing charger will fully charge the lithiums. AGM for starting will stay as Mercury requires it for the new 250 ProXS V8.
    Loose 2/3's the weight, smaller physical battery size, use existing charger, made in USA by reputable long time battery OEM, gain some useable amp hours, battery itself has built in BMS to prevent over charging, and 4 year warranty for trolling motor application.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/trillium/
    Last edited by mikesxpress; 11-14-2018 at 06:27 AM.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Been back & forth with technical engineering at Trojan on the new Trillium batteries (made in USA) and also Pro Charging Systems (OEM for my PS4 Delta Volt charger) and am pretty comfortable that I can do a battery swap for my 3 group 31 Odyssey AGM trolling batteries to Group 24 Trillium's and as stated by Trojan, the existing charger will fully charge the lithiums. AGM for starting will stay as Mercury requires it for the new 250 ProXS V8.
    Loose 2/3's the weight, smaller physical battery size, use existing charger, made in USA by reputable long time battery OEM, gain some useable amp hours, battery itself has built in BMS to prevent over charging, and 4 year warranty for trolling motor application.

https://www.trojanbattery.com/trillium/
    So how do these compare price wise?

17. mikesxpress
    No pricing yet.