Thread: bunk boards

bunk boards

when replacing the bunk boards what is best to fasten them to the trailer brackets, lag bolts or carriage bolts.

Lag bolts

IMO Carriage bolts are better, but take more time to do correctly.
    Over time Lag screws will loosen and some times get to the point they will no longer tighten.

Whatever you decide .... go stainless !!
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

5. mikesxpress
    Pilot drill to the minor diameter of the SS lag bolt and use a flat & lock washer. Tighten till the lock flattens. Recheck after a few weeks. *Due to the corrosive attributes of pressure treated lumber on carbon steel mouting brackets I suggest a couple coats of Plastic Dip. The brackets will last allot longer.

I couldn't find stainless steel lag bolts so I used some hot dipped galvanized ones. I also filled the pilot holes with silicone. Five or six years later bunks are still securely attached.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

7. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    IMO Carriage bolts are better, but take more time to do correctly.
    Over time Lag screws will loosen and some times get to the point they will no longer tighten.
    All true as far as the prep. If I remember correctly, my very well build 1998 Ranger tandem used lag bolts from the bracket into the bunks. Never had an issue. I think it's because the bunks spend most of the time with the boat's weight bearing on the brackets. I remember guys having issues with brackets coming loose when these trailers had the keel bunks on a pivoting bracket. Bolts on the bracket would corrode and break.

I would have nightmares of of that countersunk carriage bolt loosening up and out the top of the bunk putting a perfect deep scar down the length of the hull.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    I couldn't find stainless steel lag bolts so I used some hot dipped galvanized ones. I also filled the pilot holes with silicone. Five or six years later bunks are still securely attached.
    Good tip -- when used with a lock washer as stated above -- the lag screws will stay a LOT longer.
    When poor quality lag screws get loose and strip... I have moved the boards far enough to drill fresh holes and re-placed as stated above.

9. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by SoonerFan View Post
    This is a good tip for anything being attached to the deck with a screw. Like rod straps or I did it when I added a recessed tray.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD