Wiring graphs direct to battery/dedicated wire

If I use this Blue Seas block attached to my switched 30 amp circuit breaker coming off the battery, do I need to use anything else but the correct fuse? In doing a search I was a little confused as seemingly some suggested another fuse closer to the units which would be 2 fuses in line from the battery direct source. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2005 Ranger 520DVX w/ 225 Yamaha SHO

You are missing the idea of separating the electronics from the main power feed. You need a separate feed from the battery and not use the boats main breaker.
    Put your fuse block under the dash and run one 10 or 12 ga pair of wires to the fuse block. You then need 1 large amp rated fuse at the battery so you don’t burn your boat down if that large gauge wire shorts out somehow. Then use fuses on your fuse block sized for each graph you are running.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Member
    Thanks. So if I used that (pictures) at the battery itself I’d put a 10 amp fuse then another inline under the dash or closer to the units at say 3 amp as indicated for my graph? That correct?

or should the fuse at the battery also be switched? What amp fuse at the battery?

thanks for the help!

4. Member
    My opinion is that item should go under a battery terminal nut and your accessories should hook to it with their respective in-line fuses removed.

5. Member
    This will work for what you're wanting to do, however it should go on the battery post, not the switched 30A breaker. I you're wanting to be able to switch this circuit on/off, then you will need a battery cutoff on the battery post, connected to the positive side of the fuse block. Then each "circuit" would be individually fused at this junction block. With this unit, you can run 4 pairs of wires individually fused to whatever appliance you need.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

6. Member
    Just did my last weekend no more unit powering off when cranking battery these are what I bought to do the install.

Tetra-Teknica MotoBasic Series SAE-25 12V SAE 2 Pin Quick Disconnect Extension Cable with dust cover, 25 Feet, 16 Gauge https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N2R319B..._zOL4Bb2DHPY85

Tetra-Teknica MotoBasics Series RHS-01 12V Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug, 2 Feet, 16 Gauge Copper Wire, 10A Fuse, 2 Per Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4B3RPH..._tPL4Bb1Z1KCVA

7. Member
    Is it better or necessary to have it switched? Or does the in line fuse provide enough protection when I charge?

8. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    Is it better or necessary to have it switched? Or does the in line fuse provide enough protection when I charge?
    Most all electronic devices* such as sonar/gps units can well tolerate the higher charging voltages of (non-pulse type) chargers and when powered off, they do not draw any parasitic draw that might draw a battery down during long term storage.......So they do not necessarily require a main cut off switch provided you always remember to individually turn each of them off during any boat storage/charging.

But if I were adding the device you are discussing with up to 4 powered devices to remember to power down, I would consider including a cut off switch to regularly disconnect power to all devices off soon as off the water in case I were to forget to shut off any of the powered individual accessories.

* Some Shallow Water Anchors draw a parasitic draw from the battery and require supply power to be switched off during storage.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 11-06-2018 at 11:03 PM.

9. Member
    Here's a thread that I followed when I rewired all my electronics.

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=932169
    1999 Stratos 273 Vindicator 2013 Yamaha 150hp HPDI Vmax

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rfdong View Post
    If I use this Blue Seas block attached to my switched 30 amp circuit breaker coming off the battery, do I need to use anything else but the correct fuse? In doing a search I was a little confused as seemingly some suggested another fuse closer to the units which would be 2 fuses in line from the battery direct source. Thanks
    I use these same fuse blocks on both my boats for electronics only and they work great