Do the new Pro XS make oil?

Just thought I would ask if there are any ring issues on the new four strokes. Looking for a new four stroke and would hate to end up with issues like brand "Y" four strokes on the market.

2. Member
    16 hours on mine and no signs of making oil. Absolutely love the motor so far.

Haven't seen any. Few over 100 hours too

4. Banned
    Haven’t seen it on any that we have sold.

5. Banned
    Do all the Y four strokes make oil or just the ones that aren't broken in correctly? My buddy has had 2 (200&250, same engine with different tuning) and neither made oil. My 150 Mercury 4-stroke doesn't make oil though I followed the recommended break in.

6. Member
    Thanks for the replies sounds like they are good to go. I live on smaller southern California lakes so if I had to run a motor hard to prevent an oil making issue that would be a problem. Sounds like Merc is for me.

7. Member
    The 'making oil' issue with 'Y' is not necessarily due to it being a "4-stroke outboard". The primary contributor to the making oil issue is their process for plating the cylinder walls. The resulting hardness & surface texture leads itself towards being prone to difficult piston ring seating & sealing. Therefore, I would not expect to see these issues appear within the Mercury product line.

Just my .02
    2020 BassCat Eyra w/Merc v8 Pro XS (2b685615)
    2008 Triton TR196 w/Merc200 (1B505505)
    2024 Havoc Alum Duck boat w/ Mod Mercury 3-cyl 2-stroke
    0T899507 w/1B728726 powerhead (sleeved/ported/welded chambers, mod carbs/tuner &light flywheel)
    Previously owned:
    2018 Eyra w/Merc250 (2b525704)
    2015 PII w/Merc200 (2b115304)
    Brooks tunnel w/Merc 200 carb & CLE l/u motor (A913415)

8. Member
    I’ve a 250 Merc 4 stroke since June. About 50 hours on it now, and no signs of it making any oil. Engine has been flawless.

9. Member
    Mine made water, no oil though..

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Let's keep the Yamaha Brand features out of the equation- especially VVT or VCT as they do not exist on the engines in question.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelleak
    Mine made water, no oil though..
    Just to clarify, from what we have read, your engine had "soot black oil" and then "milky oil". From your other posts, Mercury nor your dealer were able to replicate the situation.

Hopefully you'll be able to report back in 6 months or so and say that either it happened again, or there haven't been any further occurences. Until then...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Let's keep the Yamaha Brand features out of the equation- especially VVT or VCT as they do not exist on the engines in question.

Just to clarify, from what we have read, your engine had "soot black oil" and then "milky oil". From your other posts, Mercury nor your dealer were able to replicate the situation.

Hopefully you'll be able to report back in 6 months or so and say that either it happened again, or there haven't been any further occurences. Until then...
    Sorry for the dig Don. I love this motor and yes, Im hopping that the motor giving birth to a puddle was a one time thing. To be positive, this motor starts and runs like a swiss watch.

12. Member
    Just out of curiosity does the mercury 4stroke have sleeves then so the ring issue should not exist correct

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Does have cast-iron sleeves. If properly broken in, there should not be a problem.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    So with sleeves you shouldn't have to buy a whole new block assembly for a rebuild, right? Just thinking of down the road cost vs other brands

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would depend on the situation, reason for rebuilding, what if any damage is present, etc.

Long term... I would expect a pretty good life-span before rebuilding would be necessary.

16. Member
    I am definitely going to wait and order this motor sounds like the perfect outboard. I have been waiting for a better 4 stroke option and it's finally here.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cal z20 View Post
    I am definitely going to wait and order this motor sounds like the perfect outboard. I have been waiting for a better 4 stroke option and it's finally here.
    As ugly as it is, lol, it does sound like it should be a great motor. I like the sleeve deal, atleast you have cheaper options if you dont hurt the block later on. Post warranty cost rank high in my book and a lot of others I'm sure