Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is it ever too late?

I've got a 2014 250 SHO that i bought with 38 hrs on it. I've had it since June and recently changed the oil and filter at 73 hrs. The oil level was high. The oil had previously been changed at 14 hrs.

I checked the oil level after this weekend and it was just over the second dot, so, making oil. What should I do? Can the making oil situation be corrected at this point or is it too late?
    Last edited by Whistler; 11-05-2018 at 07:39 PM.

2. Member
    Start by making sure the thermostats aren’t stuck open and are functioning correctly.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter100 View Post
    Start by making sure the thermostats aren’t stuck open and are functioning correctly.
    I'm not sure how to test that but i do have temp coming from nmea. And i can see the temp get up to around 145 on long runs. Do i just need to keep it that high for and extended period?

4. Member
    Yes, I would prop it for 6K and make some extended runs at wide open throttle.
    David Patten

5. Member
    YES REPLACE THE THERMOSTATS EASY JOB TO DO, I DID REPLACE MINE EVERY TWO YEARS REGARDLESS OF THE HOURS

6. Member
    I used mineral oil (mercury) during break-in. Google "Why mineral oil for break-in" .

RUN IT HARD at 6000 RPM plus on long runs but just don't stop it when you get there let it idle for a min. to cool down some you need to idle for a min. before you hammer also.

12 lbs 9 oz caught on 4/28/1975 Lake Eufaula

8. Member
    As others have said try making a long run or runs at WOT and if possible always run the engine some to warm it up before you idle around or fish. My 2018 started making oil just after the 20 hour oil change. I believe it was because I was doing a lot of fishing on a small lake after work and idling around a lot. I went to a big lake and ran about 7 miles at WOT and after that made sure to warm the engine up before idling or fishing each trip. I had some of the oil pumped out so it was back at the half way point and checked it a few times and it didn't go up. So just this week I changed the oil so I had clean oil and will continue to check but in my case I believe all is good now.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

9. Member
    Double checked my motor hours last night and I'm now at 99 hours. So I've decided to go ahead and change the oil again since it is right at 100hrs and since there is obviously fuel in the oil. So my question is this. Would it make sense at this point to change the oil with the non-synthetic 10w-30 blue bottle stuff (instead of the full synthetic) until I get the rings seated properly (assuming they will seat)?

I would go with the non synthetic, you will be changing it again. Let it warm up good and run the dog piss out of it. After the run let it idle a few minutes prior to killing. Wet a hook for about an hour and let it cool. Repeat the running again and stay in it. Always at the end of a trip let the hammer down prior to loading it up.
    Ive broke 3 new Sho’s in the past 4 years and learned you got to get the engine hot for rings to properly seat..
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisansilver View Post
    ...Always at the end of a trip let the hammer down prior to loading it up.
    Not sure I understand that part of what you were saying.

Also, when you say you've "broke 3 new Sho's in past 4 years" was that because you weren't following the advice you provided to me?

12. Member
    Yes use non synthetic. If you change to synthetic before rings are seated they will never seat. Go ahead and do a full 100 service on it while your changing the oil. What chrisansilver means is, run the motor wot for 10-15 mins before your done for the day and headed home. Let the motor idle and cool down while you go get the truck and trailer. By doing that your helping seat the rings

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tablerockslinger View Post
    Yes use non synthetic. If you change to synthetic before rings are seated they will never seat. Go ahead and do a full 100 service on it while your changing the oil. What chrisansilver means is, run the motor wot for 10-15 mins before your done for the day and headed home. Let the motor idle and cool down while you go get the truck and trailer. By doing that your helping seat the rings
    Yep, OK. I always do that anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Whistler View Post
    Not sure I understand that part of what you were saying.

Also, when you say you've "broke 3 new Sho's in past 4 years" was that because you weren't following the advice you provided to me?
    2013 ZX 225 w/ Sho 225 sold it
    2014 21i class Sho 250 Sold it
    Now on my 2019 FX21 that’s how it’s been 3...
    2019 FX21 LE
    2019 Sho 250
    Humminbird Solix 15
    Humminbird Solix 12
    Humminbird Helix 12
    ML
    Ionics
    Ultrex iLink

15. Member
    Oh, you were saying you broke-in 3 new SHOs not broke (as in blew up) 3 SHOs

16. Member
    Well, i changed my oil to conventional on Tuesday. After the oil change, the oil level was about 3/4 of the way between the 1st and 2nd dot.

I went to the lake on Wednesday to try to get the rings to seat. I let the motor warm up for 10 minutes or so, then i ran the motor as hard as i could for about an hour. During that time i kept the motor between 5500 and 6100 rpm with the temp on the nmea net showing 140 -147 nearly the whole time. 145 degree was where it stayed most.

At the end of the day checked the oil level again and it was right at the top dot. So made oil again. What should my next move be?
    Last edited by Whistler; 11-22-2018 at 06:32 PM.

17. Member
    What oil did you use exactly?
    David Patten

18. Member
    Yamalube FC-W 10W-30 4M. In the blue bottle.

19. Member
    Any chance you didn’t get it completely drained on Tuesday? I would run it a couple more times and check to see if it rises any from where it is now.

20. Member
    I got it all. After i changed it, i ran it in a tub for 10 minutes then let it cool 10 more before my final check. At that time it was 3/4 of the way between the top and bottom mark.

I will run it a couple of more times to see if it makes more. If it does after that, I'm not sure what to do next.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast