Console graph mount

I know there's no one that makes a console mount for a 198. I'm looking at ways to mount a Helix 12 behind the steering and have come up with a couple ideas. Then while watching a commercial yesterday on a Ram mount I came up with what seems like a simple idea. Mount a plate over the existing hole in the console with a short arm Ram mount mounted to the plate. Wouldn't that work? Should be able to adjust the Ram to the height and angle needed. Just throwing the idea out there to see if anyone sees a flaw.

2. Member

3. Member
    NI'm not sure what year your 198 is but the dash on my '08 210 is plastic. I have an updated plate that I have a 7" Lowrance recessed in. I struggle with keeping it from breaking the little plastic piece that it's screwed into. My concern with a ram mount and a 12" unit putting that much pressure on the plastic dash and breaking it fairly quickly. I am going to try to beef up the edges of my insert, so you may be able to do the same but I wouldn't expect it to hold up as it's currently constructed if it's the same as mine.

Mines an ‘06 and the recess is fiberglass. Basically would work the same as the mount that beach cue is making. However it would be added weight with the ram mount compared to his model. I am talking with him about getting one made.

5. Member
    The only problem I see, is the graph has to be mounted high enough so you can see the gauges. with a 12 that cold be a problem with seeing over the gauge when mounted.

This is a HDS9 with a beach cue mount. 2006 198. If you do not need the tach or speedo it could mount lower.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

No I would have to block the speedo and tach. Have smartcraft for the tach if needed. With the 12 it would definitely have to be lower.