Big guy and tree stands

Hey guys,

Had a family member give me a couple different sets of climbing sticks so I'm looking to pick up a new hang on tree stand here in the near future. The thing is that I'm hovering right around 300 pounds and I know most stands have the capacity of 300 which raises the issue how safe it'll actually be with me in it. I mean I've sat in hang on stands before and never had an issue and I always have my safety harness on. But still hanging 15 foot up a tree isn't something to mess around with. Does anyone know of any stand that has a higher weight capacity? Or should I be okay in your guy's opinion with most any stand as long as I use heavy duty straps and double check all the bolts and everything when I go up there since I'm hovering right around 300 exactly? Any recommendations on stands would be appreciated. Trying not to spend an arm and a leg though.

Thanks in advance!
    2002 Triton TR 185/ 2002 Mercury XR6
    Lowrance HDS 12/HDS 7- Console
    Lowrance HDS 9/Carbon 9-LiveSight Str8-Up dual mount- Bow

2. Member
    Are you a nimble 300? I'm slender so I can't relate too well but getting from climbing stick to stand takes my full concentration. Not sure i'd want to do it with an extra 100 pounds and I barely trust hang-on stands at my weight so you're right to be concerned IMO. Can't answer your Q directly but in your position I might consider 2-person ladder stands instead if that's an option.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Are you a nimble 300? I'm slender so I can't relate too well but getting from climbing stick to stand takes my full concentration. Not sure i'd want to do it with an extra 100 pounds and I barely trust hang-on stands at my weight so you're right to be concerned IMO. Can't answer your Q directly but in your position I might consider 2-person ladder stands instead if that's an option.
    Yeah im not to worried about that. I’ve been an athlete all my life and never had an issue getting into a stand from sticks. My problem isn’t my gut for the most part just my calf’s and thighs are so fricken big they make up a lot of my weight😂
    2002 Triton TR 185/ 2002 Mercury XR6
    Lowrance HDS 12/HDS 7- Console
    Lowrance HDS 9/Carbon 9-LiveSight Str8-Up dual mount- Bow

4. Member
    Years ago I had an Ol' Man Grand vision that I really liked. I'm 275 and like ladder stands better now. Not that I don't have the strength to use it, just much easier and quicker to get into them. Good luck and be safe!

5. Banned
    I don't use hangons so no experience there.If you could swap the ratchet straps with Heavy Duty straps it would make me feel safer at your weight.Be careful man.

6. Banned
    There are a few out there that i have seen rated for 350 pounds. Personally, never climb with one without your harness on and hooked up. Also, i like a stand with my back to the tree when bowhunting and one facing the tree when gun hunting. Positioning the stand where you can use the tree for a prop when making those long range shots is a big plus. You can also use screw in steps/hangers to hang you pouch, binocs, etc on them where they suit you. Porta-climb makes a cadilac stand that i have used for ever and even have some home made ones. Have slept a few hours in them over the many, many years. It is all in what you feel comfortable in. Getting a really good harness strap in case you fall out is very important and having it adjusted length wise is also important. Good luck and be safe!!!