Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar

Laser Range Finders

I currently have a Nikon what used to do a pretty good job. I think I have a problem with the button you push down to activate the laser. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. If I bang the range finder with my other hand, normally I can get it to work. Pretty frustrating.

I have a Cabela's credit card and have quite a bit of points. Enough to get a pretty good hunting range finder with zero out of pocket cash. Is there any difference between ones published for golf vs. hunting? With the hunting one I am looking at, it has a slope compensator which actually could be pretty good for golf.

I know I can also get the kind that give you front, middle, back...but I have really been trying to work on my game where especially with yardage less than 120 yards, I can play multiple clubs to get to the distance. Maybe I am being too cute here but figure if I can hit the same club 80 and 100 and change the ball flight, its something I would like to try to do.

Appreciate any help guys.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

2. T Dub
    If I ever get one I'll probably try this one and hope it's as good a value as it seems

https://www.mggolf.com/gps-rangefinders/#MG600

I am no help on the differences, if any, between the range finders. However, I am a firm believer in accurate distances, not only to the pin, but to the back and front of the green. I am also a firm believer in slope compensation, either positve or negative. I use a bushnell range finder with slope compensaton, and my GPS watch gives me the distances to the front and back of the green.

I also do not think you are being to cute. I love my wedges, I carry four, and can hit each one multiple different distances while either increasing or decreasing the trajectory. I think it is important to my game. I can play a low flight and let it roll or send that baby into space and let it fall from the sky. Took me a while(18 months) of playing with ball position and opening and shutting the club face, but it does come in handy when needed. Now, if only my driver would play nice, sigh.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

4. Indiana Bass Club Moderator sc419795's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies.
    Steve
    2006 Sylvan Expedition Sport
    2006 Yamaha F150 TXR s/n 63P L 1041829

5. Member
    Bushnell has served me well for many years. No slope measuring in mine which is not permitted in tournament play if it matters.
    pinloc feature is nice as wiggling around or one handed would be a challenge without it. I assume all have this feature but you should make sure.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    I use a bushnell range finder with slope compensaton, and my GPS watch gives me the distances to the front and back of the green.
    when the pin is set in the middle of the green, how does the watch and range finder compare on yardage?

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    when the pin is set in the middle of the green, how does the watch and range finder compare on yardage?
    To my amazement, they are very close. My background is GPS surveying...and I figured the watch would be off at least 5 yards + or - compared to the range finder, but is not. Most of the time I get the same yardage, and there are times when I get one yard difference.
    What we cannot obtain from intelligence, we can learn from experience.

Quote Originally Posted by 200xp View Post
    To my amazement, they are very close. My background is GPS surveying...and I figured the watch would be off at least 5 yards + or - compared to the range finder, but is not. Most of the time I get the same yardage, and there are times when I get one yard difference.
    That's surprising. I have a Skycaddie with subscription and my brother has a watch(forget the model) and we are 3-5 yards difference if we stand next to each other. We compare the front, middle and back numbers.
    When shot with a range finder the Skycaddie was within a yard of the rangefinder. The watch still a couple yards or more off.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

9. Member
    Still using my old Bushnell rangefinder, it serves me well.

" A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

11. Member
    I prefer the Garmin watch or handheld GPS. Like has been mentioned it gives really good yardage to front, middle and back of green. I mainly rely on the front and back yardage more than the exact yardage to the pin.

SE Kansas grass grower

ROCK CHALK