Thread: Electric smoker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Electric smoker

Looking for some feedback, I’m thinking about an electric smoker simply for the “set it and forget it” ease of use.

I see Masterbuilt makes a big smoker, 40”. Reading the reviews, they tend to be mixed, some people have problems with the circuit board. Looks like a lot of electrics are 30”, I’m thinking the 40” just to have more room for bigger crowds.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    Buy a pellet grill...way more versital

Steve Dyer
    Mt. Pleasant, NC

3. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    I started with an electric and now have a Weber Smokey Mountain. No comparison, the charcoal makes the BBQ better and it's easy to use.

4. Banned
    I'd say either a WSM or pellet. Same thing but you'll like the outcome better.

5. Member
    I have a masterbuilt. You will have problems with the electronics if you let them get wet. Thats the only complaint I have with them. Otherwise its exactly what you said.. .set it and forget it.

Some prefer the pellet smokers but you are also gonna pay for it. Not sure there would be a difference IMO smoke is smoke.

6. Banned
    I have had an electric Mastercraft a couple of years--no problems. It's easy to use, however it really doesn't have my preferred smoke taste.

Next up, I'm going to go ahead a build a UDS--Ugly Damn Smoker--out of a 55 gallon food drum. The plans are online and at Popular Mechanics.

There's just no taste like the smoke being rendered directly on smoldering hardwood coals. And the UDS after some practice can do a whole cooking with no refueling.

7. Member
    Set it and forget it as the heat goes, but as for the smoke... not so much... I'm always checking on it ever 30 minutes or so... 9nce the smoke quits and the temps is low I always have to crank it back up to get the chips to start smoking
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

8. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. Gives me a few things to think about

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    Set it and forget it as the heat goes, but as for the smoke... not so much... I'm always checking on it ever 30 minutes or so... 9nce the smoke quits and the temps is low I always have to crank it back up to get the chips to start smoking
    What kind of smoker do you have? I dont have that issue with my masterbuilt. Heck it will maintain temp in the winter.

10. Member
    I use to have a Master Built and it was good. Bought a Rec Tec 680 and I am never looking back. You will never get a smoke ring with the other.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Axkiker View Post
    What kind of smoker do you have? I dont have that issue with my masterbuilt. Heck it will maintain temp in the winter.
    It's a digital master built. The heat works great. It's the smoke that I have issues with. I usually fill the chip box, doesn't hold alot btw. Crank it all the way up till it's starts to smoke pretty good then I lower the temp. Then I place the meat in the smoker. I have issues with keeping it smoking, I gotta check it at least every 30 min to keep it going. But if the smoke stops then I have to crank the heat back up to re-ignite the chips. I have put a couple of bricks of charcoal in the wood tray to keep a fire coal going and that seems to help.. my experience is it's not a set it and forget it as much as I thought..
    Ranger 205dvs 225opti

12. Banned
    Can you put a pellet tube in a electric smoker? If so you could do that. At least you could get about 6 hours of smoke on each load using pellets. I use mine every time in my pellet smoker for extra smoke.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07C3...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by Clif Kincaid; 11-05-2018 at 08:51 PM.

I use my MES 40 quite often. Made ribs a couple days ago. It's always done a good job. Wood chips are cheap and I can throw in a couple small sticks in the tray if I run out. Adjust the upper vent to keep the element heating more often.

An hour before I plan to cook I heat it up. Food goes in, dump in some chips. Check it a couple times for if I'm around. I don't do compti-q so smoke rings and bark aren't high on my list. It puts out decent food with a minimum of effort.

I also store it inside and use it under my front porch to keep rain and wind off it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keystonekiller View Post
    It's a digital master built. The heat works great. It's the smoke that I have issues with. I usually fill the chip box, doesn't hold alot btw. Crank it all the way up till it's starts to smoke pretty good then I lower the temp. Then I place the meat in the smoker. I have issues with keeping it smoking, I gotta check it at least every 30 min to keep it going. But if the smoke stops then I have to crank the heat back up to re-ignite the chips. I have put a couple of bricks of charcoal in the wood tray to keep a fire coal going and that seems to help.. my experience is it's not a set it and forget it as much as I thought..
    I guess its a taste preference thing then. When I cook say ribs ill put them in with the tray full of chips and thats all I add. I dont fully cook in the smoker as ill pull out around 140 and wrap in foil. Then into the oven they go to almost finish. Then I flash them in the grill with sauce.

I feel like I get plenty of smoke this way. Ive added chips over and over and at times felt like it was too smoky. Ribs especially to me get bitter with too much smoke.

But hey thats just me.

15. Member
    My wife did not like the taste of smoked pork from my MES 30, however she really likes everything that I have done on the Green Mountain Grill. There is a difference in taste, I think the electric smokers can make certain meats taste bitter. Seems like every Thursday the wife has gotten something out of the freezer and says this is what I want you to smoke this weekend.
    John the Garage Doorman

16. Member
    I have a Masterbuilt 40. It's what I started with. It now sits in the corner collecting dust since I bought my stick burner/offset smoker. It does make a great storage cabinet for cooking utensils, thermometers, etc. There is no substitute for a stick burner. You simply cannot get that flavor in an electric oven (smoker).
    2008 Triton TR-196 - Mercury Optimax 200 - 25p Tempest prop

I have the bluetooth MES 30. It can get a little tight with a long rack of ribs. I use the A-MAZE-N smoke tray that will burn for 8-12 hours so I dont have to keep reloading my wood tray. I do keep it covered when not in use so it doesnt get wet. I have heard of a few having circuit board issues, but there is an online DIY fix for this, but Masterbuilt is really good with the warranties. Its a great starter smoker
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by turfy49431 View Post
    I have the bluetooth MES 30. It can get a little tight with a long rack of ribs. I use the A-MAZE-N smoke tray that will burn for 8-12 hours so I dont have to keep reloading my wood tray. I do keep it covered when not in use so it doesnt get wet. I have heard of a few having circuit board issues, but there is an online DIY fix for this, but Masterbuilt is really good with the warranties. Its a great starter smoker
    Do you have a link to the DIY fix. Im about to spend 100 on a new board for a smoker thats a little over 200 I think new. I googled but didnt see anything which would fix the board.

Going forward im putting it in the garage. I have an old coal stove which doesnt get used out there and a chimney. Im going to pipe the smoker into the chimney once I remove the old stove. Wont take up any more space than the stove and it will never get wet again.

19. Member
    I live my Bradley smoker, just load the picks and go fishing when I get home it's done. It's the only way to go

20. Member
    If you are looking for a long term option for an electric smoker, Look at Cookshack, not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast