Question about top cap and bottom being screwed together or gel coat it

you know how bass boats are screwed together (top cap to the bottom ) and there is a seam which needs to be sealed. What if to get the seam to never leak you could spray it with clear coat or clear gel coat and plug up that seam so its one now. Then add the rub rail over this. So my question is would this area FLEX when hitting a wave and start cracking the clear in that area and causing a stress crack or would it be strong enough with all the screws (150 of them) screwed in to the seams to keep the top and bottom from flexing. Im getting my boat restored and this issue came up. The whole boat is being re painted and I was wondering if this could be done or should we make a cut to impart a 1/8 th inch cut to avoid cracking along the seam line.

2. Member
    seal it with 3m 5200

Are you repainting with gel or an automotive product..?
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

4. Member
    we are using gel coat and clear coat for boats only. got the gel coat from ranger to match and got the metal flake from ranger. I have a guy who does this for a living. I was just wondering if the gel coat or clear coat was kinda bunched up in the seam of the top and bottom cap would it be a place that would crack it I hit a wave or two.

I think just gelcoat would crack from flexing. You'd need to reinforce the lap seam of the cap and hull with layers of fiberglass cloth and resin to really bond the two pieces together... which would make a pretty ugly seam and require a LOT of finish work. Better to use a good sealant to prevent water intrusion and be done with it.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger521znem View Post
    we are using gel coat and clear coat for boats only. got the gel coat from ranger to match and got the metal flake from ranger. I have a guy who does this for a living. I was just wondering if the gel coat or clear coat was kinda bunched up in the seam of the top and bottom cap would it be a place that would crack it I hit a wave or two.
    If the guy really knows what he's doing this question should have been already answered. All boats have a bonding agent between the cap and hull to provide water tight seal, bonding agent to help hold screws tight.