Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar

Question Enable/Disable Sonar????

Two EC+ 93, bow/console networked thru the GCV 20 (UHD) box.....

Each unit is set to read its own ducer.....When i move from one spot to another, i'll disable sonar on the bow unit, when get to the driver seat, i have to go in and enable sonar there cause it disables ALL ducers (front and back), that's the GT52, PS22, GT34 and GT15......in that scenario above, i only want the GT52/PS22 disabled on bow, not ducers on transom..

Is there some setting i'm not seeing to turn on/off or is this how it operates?? Wishing it would disable only the ducer connected to the unit....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

2. Member
    I wish I could help, but haven't even been able to get on the water yet with my new install.
    Just curious after playing in the garage...What if you just shut down the station? I believe that is what it shows. When you hit the power button it gives the option of shutting down just the station I believe vs the whole system. Would this prevent shutting down all transducers?

Also goes Garmin not have a standby mode?

3. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    yes, if you just shut down one unit without disabling sonar its fine.....

Here is something else.....i was leaving a spot, disabled sonar at bow, left console unit OFF while moving....then when i did turn on the console unit, it booted up with both transom ducers disabled.

At least for my EC+ units, there is not "Power button" on the screen, its the manual button on side......there is no standby mode that i found, just disable/enable sonar....

4. Member
    There is an additional option. On each unit, in your sonar menu, is a Transmit On/Off. That applies to a specifc transducer and to all elements in that transducer. For example, at the bow, suppose you have a combo screen showing 2d, SideVu and Panoptix PS22 Forward. When you press MENU choose 2d and turn transmit off. That will turn off all the elements in the GT52. Now repeat for the Panoptix panel. That will turn the PS22 off. Your other transducers will keep transmitting. I would much prefer a different arrangement and have requested it, but we don't have it. I want a screen that shows all the transducers, sorted by unit and by element and beside each of them On/Off with additional choices at the bottom to turn all off on a particular unit as well as all off on all units.

Now for the units that do have an option for Standby mode. I would have to give the Standby mode as well as the options to Power on and off individual units in a network a very POOR grade. Its possible this is user errror on my part but if so it shouldn't be so complicated. No matter what I do, if I choose Power Off with networked units they ALL power off. If I choose Standby Mode, they ALL go into Standby mode. May be some simple setting somewhere that I'm missing. If so, I patiently await being properly informed as to the correct operation or a software update to improve the operation.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Leonard, when i "disable" sonar, i HAD to use the "transmit sonar" option to turn it back on.....so i am aware of that, and at this point, i'll use the "transmit sonar" option to turn things on and off as needed....

Its just tricky/odd where you have 2 different "options"/"places" to turn off sonar but each does something different...thats just me.....

6. Member
    Can a newbie ask why you're turning them off when moving? Is your networked situation the sticking point here? I won't have that problem - not an option for me.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm physically turning the unit completely off, i'm just disabling sonar on TM since the ducers are not in the water.....if they were not networked, i'd still be doing the same thing.....infact i did it with my lowrance units.....now if i know i'll be fishing in an area for a while without cranking the big motor, i'll shut down the console unit cause i'm not looking at it and to help conserve the battery......

8. Member
    Is that just a concern due to the networking? None of my manuals mentioned needing to worry about the 'ducers when they're out of the water. I will say that Garmin's owners & installation manuals don't do a great job of having a "Getting to know & use your device" type of section like a lot of other products do.

9. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    No, just a habit......its just a simple push of two buttons.....

Now if one would put out the question of, "does it hurt to run transducer outside of the water?", i'd say you will get the majority saying no.....as for the panoptix transducer, i have read (i think on here) that it can overheat and if so transducer will shut off automatically.

Quote Originally Posted by LWINCHESTER2 View Post
    Now for the units that do have an option for Standby mode. I would have to give the Standby mode as well as the options to Power on and off individual units in a network a very POOR grade. Its possible this is user errror on my part but if so it shouldn't be so complicated. No matter what I do, if I choose Power Off with networked units they ALL power off. If I choose Standby Mode, they ALL go into Standby mode. May be some simple setting somewhere that I'm missing. If so, I patiently await being properly informed as to the correct operation or a software update to improve the operation.
    Standby mode functions by stations. For example, I run 4 7610s, and have 3 established stations. At the console, I have both units set under a single Console station. At the bow, I run one unit dedicated to LiveScope, and the other unit running mapping and sonar, with each of these units under their own separate station. When I cut the engine and move to the bow to fish, I select Standby at the console (only these two units go in Standby). At the bow, there are instances where I may not want to power and run LiveScope. Since I have this unit on a completely separate Station, when I select Standby, only this unit is affected.

Seems like you have all your units set under one Station?
    Garmin Pro Team

11. Member
    User error! Nothing like it. I should have caught the terminology on screen "this station". In my mind I thought "this unit". So the very Poor grade has to go to me for not reading the manual. Another case of if the shoe fits.........

Thank you Todd for the instructions.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

12. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    User error! Nothing like it. I should have caught the terminology on screen "this station". In my mind I thought "this unit". So the very Poor grade has to go to me for not reading the manual. Another case of if the shoe fits.........

Thank you Todd for the instructions.
    You know Len, the more complicated these critters get - the more we set ourselves up by enabling the more advanced features!

It's a good thing you have the option to hit up Todd for help, we ALL can use a little bit now and then, including myself.

Problem solved is a good thing.

13. Member
    Just curious about something. I initially had thought that when I put a station in standby, this would also disable the sonar that connects to that station. However after putting my bow unit in standby which has a GT52 transducer and Livescope transducer, I worry the sonar's were still pinging. I say this because I have a combo screen at the console which has livescope as one option. This was still functioning at the console, even though the bow unit was in standby. Any thoughts on why this would be? Is it simply when have activate a screen with the transducer it turns on due to the network? Or does standby mode not really stop the sonars from remaining active?
    Any thoughts?

14. Member
    At one time the standby mode only turned off the screen. There was some talk about this might change in a future update. I'll try to remember to check it tomorrow. Just turning the screen off saves quite a bit of energy. In a network situation you might not want the sonar to stop. Another unit might be reading from this unit.

15. Member
    At one time the standby mode only turned off the screen. There was some talk about this might change in a future update. I'll try to remember to check it tomorrow. Just turning the screen off saves quite a bit of energy. In a network situation you might not want the sonar to stop. Another unit might be reading from this unit.
    I was mainly concerned with the Livescope transducer still running( I guess the trolling motor GT52 as well). Simply from the thought of overheating. I really wouldn't want those sonar units running when I am moving to another location. Only ideally would need my in hull transducer.

16. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Update.....after this last fishing trip this week, i "figured" it out.....a little "user error" on my part but their is the pause/play button in the lower left hand corner of screen. All i needed to do is hit the pause button and it stops sonar pinging on that unit......so no need to go into the meun to pause it......this is the EC+9sv unit....

17. Member
    I’m lost. Could someone draw a picture and show us:

What’s standby mode? In this mode, what’s working and what is not working?

What’s sleeping mode? In this mode, what’s working and what is not working?

What’s “disable sonar”?

What’s “pause sonar”?

What’s “Transmit on/off”?

I do see they become complicated when there are several units and networked together. But, can we hide some options if they are not applicable? For a stand-alone unit.
    Last edited by BassTracker175; 11-13-2019 at 12:39 PM.

Very interesting thread..More input please..I guess everything is different with the Ultra units..

Ultra at the Console with the UHD transducer connected..
    Ultra at the Bow with the LVS32 connected...
    Both units are Networked.
    When scanning the Bow unit settings are:: Transmit "Off" & Unit is in the "Sleep" mode
    When moving to the Bow the Console unit settings are::: Transmit "Off" and Unit is put in the 'Sleep" mode. The Bow unit is in the Transmit "On" mode..

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

19. Member
    I'll start an answer and maybe Todd will see this and give a more complete answer.
    Sleep mode = standby mode is primarily to save battery life by darkening the screen.
    Disable Sonar is an option found by pressing the power button. It stops all pinging of all transducers.
    Transmit on/off is found under the menu options for whatever type sonar you are looking at the menu for. It turns pinging off for one transducer.

I'll start an answer and maybe Todd will see this and give a more complete answer.
    Sleep mode = standby mode is primarily to save battery life by darkening the screen.
    Disable Sonar is an option found by pressing the power button. It stops all pinging of all transducers.
    Transmit on/off is found under the menu options for whatever type sonar you are looking at the menu for. It turns pinging off for one transducer.
    Exactly how my Ultra units work...

USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Anti Submarine Warfare Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast