Thread: Buying a truck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Buying a truck

I'm considering a new truck. Is it really cheaper to drive to Houston or Dallas to pick one up? I hear stories of people saving thousands.

You can save money if you are willing to drive. The problem is when warranty or recall service is needed you will get in and out quicker if you have bought and have a relationship with the local dealer. Get your best price from a distant dealership, add travel cost, food, hotel room and give the local guy a chance to match or come close to the price.
    2019 G3 Sportsman 1810
    MK Ulterra
    Helix 10
    Helix 7
    SHO 115

3. Banned
    Trucks cost the dealers in Dallas and Houston the same as they do in Lafayette, LA. The trick is finding the dealers willing to compete for your business with the best price.

I try to buy local, but there again my Ford dealer has a one price strategy and is #1 in customer satisfaction in the U.S. I also know other brand dealers in a # of different states that will let me write my own deal. Price is not necessarily the best value after cost of going after a vehicle.

If you let us know what brand of truck you're looking for, someone on here will know a great dealer's name.

One great dealer is Akins Ford in Winder, GA who also sells Ram trucks--with 359 F150's, 98 SuperDuties and 324 Ram trucks in stock.

The company I work was recently looking for a service truck and has been holding off because of the prices. They had another employee look for it and he found the same truck in Texas to be about 12K less. It's on order!
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

My last three vehicles came from Houston. There are 3 families that own dealerships in the BR area and they work together to control prices. If you buy in Texas you can pay your sales tax there. There are a dozen dealerships in the Houston that compete against each other for business. The sales lady at the Dodge dealer told me that they were making so many out of state sales that Texas and La. set it up so you can pay everything up front just like buying here.None of the dealers in the BR area could come close to the deals I got in Houston. If you need warranty work they it will be taken care of here. Your warranty is through the manufacture not through the dealer.

Jeff

6. Member
    You can save buying in Houston. Pick out your truck on line, make the deal and require a “buyers order” in writing before you leave your driveway. Without this they will hook you for gimmicks when you get there.

7. Member
    No wonder they are cheaper. Just did a search on "Ford Houston" and 12 Ford dealers came up. That's plenty of competition.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BARRY J View Post
    No wonder they are cheaper. Just did a search on "Ford Houston" and 12 Ford dealers came up. That's plenty of competition.
    Yep and they are all going broke and can't offer a lower price and you have to buy today at this price and will only give you a buyers order if you buy now yada yada...............have fun with the hustle.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tdt91 View Post
    The company I work was recently looking for a service truck and has been holding off because of the prices. They had another employee look for it and he found the same truck in Texas to be about 12K less. It's on order!
    If your employer had checked AkinsFord.com, he would have found a bunch of utility bed truck beds already mounted and in stock. I honestly don't know how they sell so many vehicles.

If you are buying a ford, check with Bolton Ford in Lake Charles. They beat a few prices I had quoted in houston and glad they saved me the extra driving time.
    1991 Blazer VLX-150 / 2003 Mercury 150 XR6
    2015 Ranger 521C/ 2019 Mercury Racing 300R

11. Member
    There is a place up north that is cheap with the gmc’s. If you go that route let me know and I’ll get the name of the place from the guys at work
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

12. Member
    I get special pricing on the big 3 vehicles through my employer who makes auto parts for them.
    The only bad part is I have to go to a dealer in Ohio to get the deal and limited 1 vehicle a year.
    Last month I bought my father a new 4-door Chevy Colorado 4x4 V6 has leather seats for $22,995 out the door.
    I had to fly to Ohio, salesman picked me up at the airport, had they had the paperwork ready, and drove it back to Louisiana.

Just purchased a f150 cc fx4 max tow in baton rouge and the dealer came off over 13k. I thought it was a pretty good deal.

2004 Bullet 20XRD
    2008 Mercury 300XS
    SN: 1E003611

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SUSHII View Post
    There is a place up north that is cheap with the gmc’s. If you go that route let me know and I’ll get the name of the place from the guys at work
    Would that be Cooper GMC in Monroe? At one time they sold more trucks than anyone in the SE U.S. if I remember correctly. We looked at what they had at the time and decided not to buy anywhere, but the salesman told us GMC sent a rep down to see why they were selling so many trucks...seems the competitors were crying foul. But they found they were doing nothing wrong. Not sure about today, but wondering if that is who you were speaking about.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by preacher ed View Post
    Would that be Cooper GMC in Monroe? At one time they sold more trucks than anyone in the SE U.S. if I remember correctly. We looked at what they had at the time and decided not to buy anywhere, but the salesman told us GMC sent a rep down to see why they were selling so many trucks...seems the competitors were crying foul. But they found they were doing nothing wrong. Not sure about today, but wondering if that is who you were speaking about.
    No sir. It is way up the country somewhere.
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

That retirement money must be REAL nice !!!!!
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

17. Member
    I worked for Larry Cooper years ago in a retail business he owned selling guns hunting and outdoors stuff. He ran that place completely different - would never let his managers back off prices, ordered too much inventory and would just let it sit from season to season, any advertised sales had to be run through him first. Micromanaged that place into the ground. The trucks though - he sold on volume and kept it rolling.

18. Banned
    When they're talking about "up north," they mean St. Louis.
    Laura Buick GMC
    903 N Bluff Rd, Collinsville, MO ·
    (618) 623-4768
    You'd have to go far to beat the deals coming out of this dealership. And they have the finest reputation you've ever seen. People fly into St. Louis from all over the country to buy from them. Their buying process is quick and pain free I understand.

19. Member
    That’s it. Laura!!
    SUSHII
    21XRS/SHO

20. Member
    Cazenav Ford in Vacherie is usually pretty good on deals. Check them out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast