Thread: tree stands

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

tree stands

Finally had a free weekend to hunt and with all the rain I only have one stand to get to so I get up this morning and something did not feel right so stayed home cooked breakfast and went grocery shopping with the wife. Well 2:30 rolls around and I head off for me 20min walk about fifty yards from the stand find a set of tracks not the four legged kind get to my tree and see someone took my stand down and put there's up in the same tree is a big oak. So my question what is the rule in Ohio for doing this going to call both farmers and ask if they given anyone else permission. If they did how do you settle it been hunting this same tree for 14 years or more. Am going to leave a note when I come back after church tomorrow stating please call and number that's it. had same probably last year walked back to same stand and had a young boy with a crossbow setting on the ground under it. I asked if he had permission and said yes I said that's great and he did not know who the land owner even was. O well I put it up which hurt my chances of seeing anything this evening bit looks like a nice sun set

That sucks........and I’d be pissed, but your handling it well. Stay cool, it will all get worked out.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

3. Member
    Did they take your stand?? If so, Take their stand and then find out who else has permission to be there. Pow Wow time with that dick head.

4. Member
    Why call two farmers? Is the farm a partnership? I'd call whoever owns the land. They might have a friend/relative hunting there and they might not have been told you had permission to be there too. Not a good idea to take down the stand of someone's nephew regardless of them being a jerk. Good luck with the note: people don't often call when they're in the wrong so if it's a trespasser you'll never hear anything. Maine has a law requiring ID on stands not placed on your own land which sounds great on paper but I bet we have way less than 50% compliance.

5. Member
    BP it is in the corner of a woods where a fence row is so you have one farmers field on one side and a different one on the one does not allow hunting and I talked to him and I am to call if something goes that way the other does not give permission since he knows I am back there and its a small lot of woods only 4-5 acers.
    Called both of them last night and no one is to be back here also called the warden and said that is the best to do is leave a note. I watched the guy tonight walk in on the side that let's no hunting so called the owner and told him where his truck is. So we shall see how this shakes out. Though he might walk over so we can talk but went a different way in the no hunt area at least my stand is still here and I got it back up to hunt

6. Member
    Hope it's resolved soon and hasn't messed up your hunting spot

This bs is why I quit deer hunting.. people got no respect. Hope it works out right

Quote Originally Posted by ridgerunner6901 View Post
    This bs is why I quit deer hunting.. people got no respect. Hope it works out right
    Bass fishing is the same. Arguments over spots and a-holes crying about you fishing their docks.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

9. Banned
    Hunting is a lot worse to the average hunter to me. Remain calm and contact the land owner and see if he retained hunting rights and who else has been given permission, contact the farmers and ask if they have given any permission. Had a few cases over the years where farmers were renting the hunting rights out to people and did not even have those rights in their lease contract which can be a real mess.

10. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Capw View Post
    Bass fishing is the same. Arguments over spots and a-holes crying about you fishing their docks.
    Not exactly...hunting you have property lines.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnfool38 View Post
    Not exactly...hunting you have property lines.
    Property lines mean nothing to the a-holes, especially in my area.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    BP it is in the corner of a woods where a fence row is so you have one farmers field on one side and a different one on the one does not allow hunting and I talked to him and I am to call if something goes that way the other does not give permission since he knows I am back there and its a small lot of woods only 4-5 acers.
    Called both of them last night and no one is to be back here also called the warden and said that is the best to do is leave a note. I watched the guy tonight walk in on the side that let's no hunting so called the owner and told him where his truck is. So we shall see how this shakes out. Though he might walk over so we can talk but went a different way in the no hunt area at least my stand is still here and I got it back up to hunt
    Any update? I am curious how this shook out. My parents have had a young 20ish yr old sneak on their property to shoot. My brother got some pictures on the trail cam of him in the woods.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KyLakeLunker View Post
    Any update? I am curious how this shook out. My parents have had a young 20ish yr old sneak on their property to shoot. My brother got some pictures on the trail cam of him in the woods.

no call yet his stand is still in the tree, I would really like to talk to him to see what he was thinking

14. Hunting & Gun Lodge Moderator Roddy's Avatar
    I confronted a guy trespassing yesterday. He said I have been hunting here 25 years. I said really, here is the land owners phone # let's ask and see if you have permission. He replies he doesn't give anyone permission. I said "he gave me permission, and you have been trespassing for 25 years I guess". The land owners son picked up 4 stands and a blind from trespassers today.
    SIMMONS CUSTOM BOATS
    Anderson Services LLC
    " Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Bring Back Gluten!!!

15. Banned
    This is why I have my own property, lease a place and mange it and the landowner will screw you over when you kill something of any size and he thinks he can make more money. Or the let friends come out and hunt your stands etc, I had enough years ago but didn't want to give up and quit so I bought, best investment I ever made.

16. Banned
    Absolutely the best way to go if you can afford. Know a guy who purchased a 300 acre farm after talking to 10 hunters he knew that would help form a club to hunt the land with a management plan and selective harvest. After 10 he years he had the loan he got to purchase the farm apaid off and dissolved the club= 10 X $1500= $15,000. $15,000 X 10 years =$150,00. He paid the loan off a year before the dissolved the club.

17. Member
    Hunting is tough for the average joe these days. Still beats shooting a farm raised deer at a high fenced farm where the deer are born via artificial fertilization.

Quote Originally Posted by dwmgg17 View Post
    Absolutely the best way to go if you can afford. Know a guy who purchased a 300 acre farm after talking to 10 hunters he knew that would help form a club to hunt the land with a management plan and selective harvest. After 10 he years he had the loan he got to purchase the farm apaid off and dissolved the club= 10 X $1500= $15,000. $15,000 X 10 years =$150,00. He paid the loan off a year before the dissolved the club.
    So this guy got a bunch of buddies to buy him a farm to hunt on then sent them packing?!

19. Banned
    Yes he did but from what i was told by a couple of the members they knew what he was doing before the end of the 1st season.

Wow... I'll keep hunting uncle Sam's place.... after all 190 million acres will take a while to cover. I grew up on a farm with excellent hunting on it, dad still owns it.. I no longer hunt there because of family members with atv's and trail cams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast