whats the difference between new pro xs 4 stroke and the nomral 4 stroke 150 hp

Is there much difference between the 2?

2. Banned
    Mounts are stiffer, gearing is better, low water intake, 200rpm higher rev limiter and 5hp more on the pro-XS which is what I'd recommend fwiw

3. Member
    When I ordered my V6 200 4stroke back in August, the 150 ProXS was an even longer wait. Probably still not much real life comparisons yet.

4. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    The standard 150 4-stroke is a bad ass little motor. Had one on my 2015 Bass Cat Margay. If my old Fast Strike dies, I'll have one on my old Ranger.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by willy13 View Post
    When I ordered my V6 200 4stroke back in August, the 150 ProXS was an even longer wait. Probably still not much real life comparisons yet.
    Post 10 has one...
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=935979

6. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    The standard 150 4-stroke is a bad ass little motor. Had one on my 2015 Bass Cat Margay. If my old Fast Strike dies, I'll have one on my old Ranger.
    The pro-XS was designed for bassboats and the regular 4-stroke for pontoon boats imho. What top speed did you see on the Margay?

7. Member
    I don’t have any experience with the regular 150 fs, but really like the 150 fs pro xs on my z18.
    2019 Nitro Z-18 DC
    Mercury 150 Pro-XS 4-Stroke 23 Fury

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelman View Post
    Good to see that for Mercury! These were announced back in Feb., so I was surprised when my local dealer new little about them back in Aug. He was up to speed on the V6 and V8 4S.

9. Member
    can we revisit this post. I am close to buying my first pontoon boat and as part of the deal I am negotiating they will upgrade the motor to a 225 Merc 4 stoke, not the ProXS version.
    Anyone see a problem with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    can we revisit this post. I am close to buying my first pontoon boat and as part of the deal I am negotiating they will upgrade the motor to a 225 Merc 4 stoke, not the ProXS version.
    For a pontoon I believe that is the preferred route to go.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kromer View Post
    This thread was about a 150hp I4. The 225hp models use the same motor mounts, the difference in the standard version and pro XS is the standard version is a 3.4L V6 and will be quieter with an extra muffler, the pro XS will be slightly heavier being a V8 and louder without the muffler though make a lot more torque. I'm no sure how heavy your pontoon is, if you plan to load it down or tow tubes etc then the V8 could be of benefit. If noise and fuel economy are more of a concern then go with the V6, hope that helps.

12. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    The pro-XS was designed for bassboats and the regular 4-stroke for pontoon boats imho. What top speed did you see on the Margay?
    It ran 67-68 gps with a 25P Tempest Plus...but there was a TON of chine walking. It was a handful to drive.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

13. Banned
    It ran 67-68 gps with a 25P Tempest Plus...but there was a TON of chine walking. It was a handful to drive.
    Nice, what's your PTP? At 3.25" I was on the limiter with a 24" Tempest at 65mph with my standard 150 4-stroke with taller gearing though lower limiter on Sabre FTD DC which equates to 5% slip, with your specs I come up with 2% at 67mph or 0% at 68mph.

according to the new carb reports the 150 Pro XS makes 13hp more at a peak rpm of 5500 vs 5400 for the standard 150hp 4-stroke. Mercury said only 5 hp more or 163hp peak and the document states 161hp, but only 148 for the standard 4-stroke and a peak of 180ftlbs for both at 3000rpm.
    Last edited by Wheelman; 11-13-2018 at 07:25 AM.

14. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Nice, what's your PTP? At 3.25" I was on the limiter with a 24" Tempest at 65mph with my standard 150 4-stroke with taller gearing though lower limiter on Sabre FTD DC which equates to 5% slip, with your specs I come up with 2% at 67mph or 0% at 68mph.

according to the new carb reports the 150 Pro XS makes 13hp more at a peak rpm of 5500 vs 5400 for the standard 150hp 4-stroke. Mercury said only 5 hp more or 163hp peak and the document states 161hp, but only 148 for the standard 4-stroke and a peak of 180ftlbs for both at 3000rpm.
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I believe p2p was between 3.25 and 3.5. The 25P Tempest I was running had a little bit of trailing edge cup added, so it turned like a 26P. When I took it to my local prop shop I asked for tip cup to improve lift, but that isn’t what I got. Lift was no better at low speed, but I gained 2 mph top end. It got me off of the rev limiter too (barely). It took me 6-7 months to learn to drive it. I learned a lot about “driving” with that boat. I honestly believe that motor was pushing the 165hp limit.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

15. Banned
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I believe p2p was between 3.25 and 3.5. The 25P Tempest I was running had a little bit of trailing edge cup added, so it turned like a 26P. When I took it to my local prop shop I asked for tip cup to improve lift, but that isn’t what I got. Lift was no better at low speed, but I gained 2 mph top end. It got me off of the rev limiter too (barely). It took me 6-7 months to learn to drive it. I learned a lot about “driving” with that boat. I honestly believe that motor was pushing the 165hp limit.
    CARB certification list it at 161hp@5400rpm actually the 148 is the SeaPro, regardless not sure what weather standard they use though I'm sure if you making winter passes it was making even more power. The stock mounts I realized are very soft and allow a lot of movement to help with nvh of a 4cylinder on aluminum boats I believe, which they get worse over time if you don't run a motor deep or in smooth water and why I paid to have the stiffer Pro XS mounts installed which helped. I've been curious to try a 25" to see if I can squeeze anymore out of it as I'm on the limiter with Fury I realized last time out, it's so soft it's hard to tell your up against it. Though I ran a high 5 prop for fun and could easily pin it. Did you happen to notice or remember a lot of wear on where your transom and steering bracket come together as that has been a concern of mine. Also curious what PVS plugs did you run in the Tempest?

https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/offroa...001-0476-1.pdf

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Wheelman- the information in those reports has to be taken with a grain of salt, as quite commonly those figures are based on a traditional 76 degree F standard, fresh engines, and propping isn't normally factored into the numbers at all (PSH).

Additionally, it's not uncommon to see engines do better as they get into the 40-50 hours of runtime range (due to simple mechanical wear-in of components).

There are still a few folks that had 200hp EFI's from back around 2004 that can remember this vividly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Wheelman- the information in those reports has to be taken with a grain of salt, as quite commonly those figures are based on a traditional 76 degree F standard, fresh engines, and propping isn't normally factored into the numbers at all (PSH).

Additionally, it's not uncommon to see engines do better as they get into the 40-50 hours of runtime range (due to simple mechanical wear-in of components).

There are still a few folks that had 200hp EFI's from back around 2004 that can remember this vividly.
    I understand that a motor will make a little more once broken in and loosened up, but wasn't sure what correction factor is used in the marine industry. So you're saying it's the same SAE J1349 used by the automotive industry (77-degrees F, 29.23inHg and dry, 0-percent humidity)?

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would need to do some research to verify- but it is my understanding (and belief from previous model info I viewed) that the figures are reported by the manufacturers, when they register the engine families.

Did a lot of reading on that subject back in 2011-2013 (have since flushed from my mental "buffer").

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor