Deep Rocky Lakes

I have a deep rocky lake nearest to me that most people only fish at night during summer. Very little in the way of humps, ledges or any kind of structure and very few points come out very far, mostly rounded points. Everyone I knows fish shallow but there has to be a way to catch deep schooling fish. Where would they go when not shallow? Someone that fishes another deep lake says they will school up on extremely steep banks anywhere from 15' to 25' deep. Do any of you guys fish these kinds of lakes and where do you find them in summer?

Thanks

Your electronics are your friend when patterning deep lakes. The fact that there is not much structure makes what structure there is more important. I would begin by studying the topo maps for the lake. set waypoints where there are sudden structure changes. Then go out and start on those waypoints and idle and graph the areas. The game fish will show up on your graph and they are usually somewhere near where you see baitfish. The depth you find them and the weather will determine which baits will be most effective to get them to bite.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

3. Banned
    What is the water clarity like?

4. Member
    It's semi clear to stained. It never gets crystal clear. Usually can see lure down a couple feet sometimes a little deeper.

If it's just rocky without vegetation, graphing schools of fish or even individual fish should be very straightforward. I agree with the advice to pick out some spots on the map and go graph them. As Ranger also mentions, pay attention to depth where you mark bait and fish. It's weird, but if you see fish suspended at a given depth, finding a point that runs through that depth or otherwise focusing on that depth will often let you find fish at the same depth but positioned on the bottom where they're easier to catch.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

6. Banned
    Typically in a summer pattern fish should be suspended just of the shallow areas. I'd find some sand transitions and drag those areas with tubes first to find some fish. The water clarity you describe really isn't very clear, if the water isn't very warm there is little reason for the fish to move deep imo.

I agree with others, use your electronics. This will help locate the deeper fish faster. What is the forage base in the lake? Figure that out and you should be able to find the schooling fish.

7. Member
    I see you are located in KY. Sounds like you are describing Herrington Lake?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 58LesPaul View Post
    I have a deep rocky lake nearest to me that most people only fish at night during summer. Very little in the way of humps, ledges or any kind of structure and very few points come out very far, mostly rounded points. Everyone I knows fish shallow but there has to be a way to catch deep schooling fish. Where would they go when not shallow? Someone that fishes another deep lake says they will school up on extremely steep banks anywhere from 15' to 25' deep. Do any of you guys fish these kinds of lakes and where do you find them in summer?

Thanks
    Cumberland or Green ?

9. Member
    No, Rough and Nolin

10. Member
    Try deeper diving jerkbaits and rip it hard and fast in the summer. Sometimes they’ll even come up to the surface if you work a top water or soft jerkbait.