Thread: SA/DA Pistol

SA/DA Pistol

I'm thinking of a SA/DA pistol and the two that stand out are the Sig P226 9mm or the FNX9. Might would consider a 45 in P227 or FNX45 (not the tactical). What do you guys say? A G21 even though not a SA/DA is on my radar as well as I have a G19. I have a Sig P232SL and like the idea of a SA/DA trigger system as its almost like a safety because it will take a lot to pull the hammer back in SA when de-cocked.

2. Member
    I have a Springfield XD-E that is a real pleasure to shoot.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    I had a XD45 right when they came out and loved it but sold it for a 1911. I had no idea they made a SA/DA with a hammer these days. I'll have to see if I can check out out.

4. Banned
    The 226 with the srt is nice.

5. Member
    Sig builds a good gun but the ergonomics don’t seem to work for me. I also have a 232sl and that thing is sweet. Most other sigs feel weird to me. My favorite sa/da gun is the beretta 92. Fits my hand like a glove and flat out performs.

6. Member
    Wilson Combat or Langdon Tactical Beretta would be the way to go for a SA/DA pistol but you will pay for it ($1,100-$1,300). Or, you could get a H&K P30 and send it off for a nice trigger job but my first choice in a SA/DA would be the Wilson Centurion Beretta and I'd order it with a trigger job before it leaves Wilson's house for the extra $110. They can get the DA pull down to a super slick 5.5-6lbs which would be awesome. I played with a Sig Legion here recently. Sig really brags that gun up but I wasn't impressed. I thought their Tac Ops P320 was a nicer gun, polymer and all. If you want the best of both worlds get an STI 2011. Double stack high cap in a 1911 type pistol with a fantastic trigger, and great accuracy. I just got one and it's the nicest shooting pistol I've every put in my hand and I've had several mid level 1911s and I've shot several other high end 1911s that belong to friends such as Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson, etc. I just looked again and realized you are in Harrison. I'd for sure be getting the Wilson Beretta in that case, they are literally in your back yard! See below.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by spec View Post
    So a local shop had one and it was nice but a little to compact.

8. Member
    HK has interred my list , looked at a P30 today and although nice I think if I go HK it would be a USP unless someone can convince me otherwise because if it says HK it's got to be good right?

The only choice is Sig. take a look at the M11 A1 (aka 229)
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    HK has interred my list , looked at a P30 today and although nice I think if I go HK it would be a USP unless someone can convince me otherwise because if it says HK it's got to be good right?
    H&K makes good pistols, yeah it would be good. I had a USP 40, years ago. The P30 just give you much better ergonomics over the USP or if you want a longer barrel you can get the P30L. I think the best thing going at H&K right now is the VP9/VP40 but it's a striker fired pistol and I know you are talking about SA/DA guns.
    Last edited by Bass Junkie; 11-04-2018 at 07:00 PM.

11. Member
    I really like H&K pistols. If you are looking at a .45 ACP, you might try the HK45C. It is smaller than the USP, and still allows carry either cocked and locked, or de-cocked with safety. The USP is good, but kinda large.
    I recently replaced my Glock 19 carry gun with a VP9.

I have a USP 45, an HK45, HK45C, and a VP9. I used to own a Mark23 but ended up selling it.
    2018 Ranger Z185
    Yamaha 150 SHO w/ Tempest 23P
    Ultrex 80 Link
    Helix 10MDI & 12MSI G2N at console
    Helix 10 M+DI G4N w/ M360 and Garmin 93 w/ LiveScope at bow
    Atlas Jackplate
    12' Talons

12. Member
    How is the HK LEM trigger? I'm thinking about the P30L as a "nightstand" weapon and something to have fun at the range with dice my G19 is more for carry. I could go with the regular P30 for carry but that's another decision. Either way SA/DA compared to LEM? Theres a ton of info on the web just curious if anyone here has experience with both.

13. Member
    The only downfall to Sig is you will want more. I am assuming this is to carry so the real downfall is the weight due to being full metal. I love my Sigs and wouldn't trade for anything. But they are not as compact or light as some other guns. I bought into the Legion hype and do not see the benefit of it. I have a p220, p226, p229 and a p229 Legion. For the price difference in the 2 p229's I would go with standard and use the rest of the money for ammo.

14. Member
    It's a bit heavy, but I love my Smith and Wesson CS45. Great shooter.

15. Member
    I have both a FNX 9 and a Sig P226, my Sig is more accurate but both shoot well, recoil is a little less with the Sig, spare mags are priced about the same (Sig put sales on every few months),you can't go wrong with either.

16. Member
    Just kind of went through this myself, at least as far as the DA/SA. I already knew it was going to be another Sig. I have some P320's, and EDC a P320C RX. But I don't shoot it quite as well as the bigger P320's I have (full size and X-Five). So wanted more heft in my EDC. SAO is pretty much out of the picture for me as a carry gun. Cocked and locked is just not my thing.

I ended up with a P229 Legion RX, and really like it so far. Gives me the accuracy I was looking for. And since I have large hands, a lot of the Legion features are valuable to me, like the more aggressive checkering in front of the trigger guard, the trigger undercut and beaver tail. The short reset trigger is very nice for fast, accurate follow up shots too. And I like the safety of that heavier first pull. All my Sig's are 9mm.

Lots of good choices out there. Best of luck with your decision.
    John