Remington model 81 feed issues

Have a late 1950 model 81 .300 savage, non removable magazine in pretty good condition. The issue is with the feed. When loading, the cartridges will push the follower down but won’t feed correctly and bind in the magazine side springs. Anyone familiar with this rifle will be aware that the side springs are a nearly 2 flat spring steel with a curve on the top, left and right to retain and forward feed the cartridge. They slide onto the outside of magazine when disassembled or reinstalled. Any thoughts on troubleshooting?
    Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

2. Banned
    Maybe the springs have gotten weak?

3. Member
    Did you do a Youtube search? It's rare that someoen hasn't posted a vid on every issue with any weapon ever made.

Was thinking of replacing the spring but after disassembly I see where someone else had issues with the feed. Scratch marks on the magazine in the same place it requires to free the bound follower. The follower is getting caught on its end tang in the bottom of the magazine. May have to find another magazine if that’s even possible.

5. Banned

Have already surfed Numrich. Problem with that is that I’m not sure if the magazine that they’ve listed as used is right above the one specifically listed as 300 savage (not available) so I’m not sure if there is a different magazine than what was used on the other calibers.

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HaulinBass View Post
    Have already surfed Numrich. Problem with that is that I’m not sure if the magazine that they’ve listed as used is right above the one specifically listed as 300 savage (not available) so I’m not sure if there is a different magazine than what was used on the other calibers.
    Probably has a different follower in the mag for each caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    Probably has a different follower in the mag for each caliber.
    Found a gunsmith that owned an 81 in 35 rem. I’ll take it to him to look it over anyway before I drag it to the woods. Can’t wait to use this classic. When I was much much much younger, I witnessed first hand what the 81 in 300 sav could do. Have always had it on my list of rifles to own. Will update when resolved.

9. Member
    Larry-if you can't get it figured out, have you ever been on the 24 hr. campfire website? There is a lot of knowledge on there, even if you have to wade through a few egos and some BS. And you can run an ad in their buy and sell forum...not much you can't get on there. But, you will have to sign up, for free of course.

I’ll check it out. Thanks!