Thread: Big O Question

Big O Question

Scott Driver Park to South Bay....how long of run is it? And how much wind would you consider not safe to make that run?

2. Member
    Are you wanting to run across the lake? There are alot of factors to consider to be able to answer your question. How big of a boat are you running and what is the top speed?
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

3. Member
    I've made that run on a morning where the winds out of Okeetantie were about 10MPH out of the north. About 20 years ago. Seemed fine to start. Worst mistake of my fishing career. About 1/2 there I knew we were screwed. Felt terrible for my co-angler. But couldn't turn around. 5 foot rollers by the time we got down south, to a muddy worthless south bay. Had to come back going alllllllll the way around the rim ditch. Burned about 80 gallons of gas that day.

Unless its calm or real damn close, I wouldn't consider it. Then you can always consider the situation that happened this past spring in FLW. We don't know what happened that day, and I'm not blaming the driver, but I will say it was a bad idea from personal experience, just like mine was.
    Current: 2014 Sportsman Masters 207/150 Yamaha
    9 previous Rangers

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flranger View Post
    I've made that run on a morning where the winds out of Okeetantie were about 10MPH out of the north. About 20 years ago. Seemed fine to start. Worst mistake of my fishing career. About 1/2 there I knew we were screwed. Felt terrible for my co-angler. But couldn't turn around. 5 foot rollers by the time we got down south, to a muddy worthless south bay. Had to come back going alllllllll the way around the rim ditch. Burned about 80 gallons of gas that day.

Unless its calm or real damn close, I wouldn't consider it. Then you can always consider the situation that happened this past spring in FLW. We don't know what happened that day, and I'm not blaming the driver, but I will say it was a bad idea from personal experience, just like mine was.
    Couldn't agree more Okeechobee can get ROUGH real quick!!!

5. Member
    If it’s 5 or greater run rim. Jmo

6. Member
    Thanks guys....21 ft. 250 merc.

7. Member
    well when in doubt always run the rim ditch. I usually do it is just alot safer. It takes a little longer but I know it keeps me safe!
    1998 Gambler Outlaw with a 2019 Suzuki 200SS, Ultrex Trolling motor with 360 imaging, two Helix 10's at the bow and two Helix 10's at the helm, and a custom Amera Trail trailer with Gator-Bak bunks on it!

8. Member
    To answer your question its roughly 31 miles straight down the lake, you can do the math figuring how fast you can fun. Done it quite a few times. As others have said wind is key. And just because its blowing 10 out of the north on the north end doesn't mean its not blowing 20 out of a different direction on the south end. The lake creates its own weather patterns. It takes a little longer to run over to the rim ditch but you will definitely enjoy that ride better, not to say getting to the rim ditch is always smooth sailing but the north shore line does cut down on alot of waves (given a north or west wind). Bottom line is I'd have to be on some really good fish to make the run and even then its a crap shoot.

9. Member
    Ive run straight across the lake once and it was a glass calm day. The waves can stack really quickly. As others have said, when in doubt run around. You will need to stop for gas at Rowlands marina either coming or going.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    Never stop believing and never stop chasing your dreams.
    Galatians 6:9

www.kgfishing.com

USCG Licensed and Insured Fishing Guide - Lake Murray and Clarks Hill

10. Member
    If breezy at all don't do it.
    Livin the dream
    2013 Legend 211
    250 Pro Xs

11. Member
    IMO, if im going to run that distance, I better have a sure thing lined up. I mean, a run like that better almost guarantee a touney win. Too much fishable water between Scott Driver and South Bay to make that huge run....

12. Member
    Nobody has mentioned the fact that if you go straight across and the water is below 13.5 you could end up sitting on top of rocky reef if you dont go the right path

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Nobody has mentioned the fact that if you go straight across and the water is below 13.5 you could end up sitting on top of rocky reef if you dont go the right path
    1996 Stratos 201 pro xl
    1996 Johnson Faststrike J150GLEDB

14. Member
    its not a hard run if the conditions are right. You have to know the wind and its effects on the lake.

15. Member
    You might get away with it in the morning with light wind, but keep your bailout options to the rim ditch open. boy scout. east wall, even uncle joe's cut if you pass Clewiston on the way back. Not sure that it would be in my plan to run out there till launch...
    2014 Z119c
    225 Pro X\S
    Lowrance
    Powerpoles

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gatorsin09 View Post
    Never been to the Big O and headed down for thanksgiving, planning on spending most of my time in the Harney and Kings bar. Once you're out on the lake are the hazards marked? Anything I should be worried about?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker907 View Post
    Never been to the Big O and headed down for thanksgiving, planning on spending most of my time in the Harney and Kings bar. Once you're out on the lake are the hazards marked? Anything I should be worried about?
    No you're good to go around there. Just set down well outside of the grass line and you won't have any problems. It saves your boat and the grass

18. Work hard fish harder SwampNinja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Basskicker907 View Post
    Rocky edges at mouth of Indian Prairie Canal
    Stratos 294 evo Etec 200 HO
    HydrillaGear.com IguanaGraphics.com