Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar

Hunting with cows and feeding?

Those of you allowed to feed who also have cows on your place what do you do? I have seen people build a small area with panels around the feeders where deer can jump but cows cant get to. Any thoughts on this?

2. Official Lip Ripper' haftafish22's Avatar
    Hey sooner,

it it works just fine. I have found most places with cows are not the greatest hunting areas. With that being said, soon you will have to do it anyway just to stop the hogs... might as well get some practice.

3. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haftafish22 View Post
    Hey sooner,

it it works just fine. I have found most places with cows are not the greatest hunting areas. With that being said, soon you will have to do it anyway just to stop the hogs... might as well get some practice.
    I have a couple of pieces of land and your right this one is not all that great but its super close as opposed to my other spot over an hour away. This place that has cows on it backs up to a bunch of public land that is really good though and the deer to cross the spot now. It gets a lot of deer traffic but they dont stick around long. However with the public land receiving pressure it does run them to me quite often. lol

4. Member
    Man, hunting out west is so much different than here in the northeast. Cows, hogs, feeders, feral dogs.......never dealt with any of those.

5. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    Man, hunting out west is so much different than here in the northeast. Cows, hogs, feeders, feral dogs.......never dealt with any of those.
    Funny Story about hunting with cows. A few years back I was Bow Hunting from My API grand slam Climbing stand. I had a rope tied to the top part of my stand that had my bow on the end of it for when I got up to where I wanted I could pull it up to me safely. I got up in the tree about 15 feet and about an hour later here comes a cow. She just so happened to look up at me and come directly towards the tree I was in. I sat there and watched here trying not to move hoping she would just move on. She ends up finding the rope I had dangling down and grabbing onto it with her mouth and started shaking her head like a dog playing tug a war. I thought for sure she was going to pull me and the stand out of the tree. Scared me to death!!

We use 8 hog panels, I believe they're 34" high. Tie them together in a circle around the feeder then drive about 6-8 T post to keep it in place. Takes about 1 hour to set one up.

7. Banned
    That was funny about the cow pulling on your rope!!! Back in the early 80's they use to make a little orange colored bag with dried apple bit in it and smelled really strong of apple scent. Tied it to my bow pull up cord and lowered it close to the ground to have a small 6 point come up about a hour later and tried to eat it and pull it off for nearly 45 minutes.

Have cows on the place we hunt & they are a big pain. Our food plots are fenced in. But they sure seem to screw up a lot of hunts.
    Darrall Dougherty

9. Banned
    I fenced out about 1/2 area food plot and put corn out also in one corner. It keeps the cows out and the deer don't mind jumping the fence.

I have had some run in with cows hunting in WV. The first one was a whole group of them must have thought I was the guy bringing the feed because when I come up over the meadow hill at daylight the all come running at me, but I was able to sneak into the woods and the stooped. The second one was a little cow that kept following me on a high open ridge and would not stop and even followed me down in the woods until I sat behind a tree and did not move for awhile then it left. Luckily the cows are removed before hunting season now but I will say that the deer we hunt are not bothered them at all. I have seen them run right threw a heard in an open field.