Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jarhead175 View Post
    Do yourself a favor and stay where your at or go somewhere other then DFW.
    That's funny. Nothing at all wrong with this area but traffic.

2. Member
    Welcome to the DFW area.
    I live in the middle of the Dallas Fort Worth area and I fish year round while storing my boat outside. The only things I do to winterize my outboard are:
    1. lower the motor so that rain water does not pool in the lower unit.
    2. Insure I do not have any water in the actual lower unit gear oil.
    3. Keep my gas tank full and add some Stabil or other fuel additive.
    Joe B

2017 Tracker PT 190 TX
    2017 Mercury 115 Pro XS
    Mercury Spitfire X7 19” prop
    51 mph @ 6240 rpms (RPMs from Vessel View Mobile) : full fuel tank and fishing load by myself
    4.2 second Hole Shot (measured using Vessel View Mobile)
    Engine mounted in 3rd hole
    Minn Kota Ulterra-Link w/built in MDI 80 lb thrust 60” shaft
    Humminbird Helix 12si Gen1 chirp on console
    Humminbird Helix 15si Gen4 cho on bow
    Humminbird Mega360

Dotline two step transom boarding ladder
    Tracker trailer bow boarding step

3. Member
    It can get cold enough to do so in va but I try to fish all year round for the most part. I have a heated and cooled detached building I keep mine in. I just drop the motor all way down and keep the batteries up. Treat whatever fuel I keep in it. If I end up not being able to fish I just pull it out and run on the hose for a bit to keep it going.

Winterize? Not needed for the temps here. However, you may consider doing it anyway depending on how long it will be in storage. I relocated from NC to DFW this spring and still have not put the boat in the water.
    99' 201 Pro Elite
    08' Evinrude 225 HO

5. Member
    The next guy always has a bigger dog! OP, the winters are typically mild here. It is not uncommon to need antifreeze in your cars radiator to prevent freezing once or twice a year though. If you keep the boat inside you should be fine with the minimal precautions weather wise.

6. Banned
    I never stop fishing long enough.....

I grew up in Dallas and I don't remember a snow fall deeper than the tops of my penny loafers. I live 200 miles north in the OKC area now and I have never winterized my boat. Unless we have an unusually cold winter, I'll probably fish through most of December. January and early February just depending on weather...sometimes we will get a 50 or 60 degree day.

The only winterizing I do, is lower my motor all the way down and drain it while I'm at the ramp before I put on the Motormate. I keep my boat in an un-heated attached garage. I have a thermometer out there and even on the coldest nights it doesn't get down lower than the upper 20's.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

I lived in Texas most my life. No need to do that. I am stationed at FLW in Missouri right now and i do not winterize my boat. Heated Garage. Most if not all do not winterize up here. Fishing is good in the winter.
    2018 Phoenix 919, Mercury 225 Pro XS
    2016 Triton 179TrX, Mercury 115 4s
    1995 Bass Tracker 175Pro, 40hp Force
    1985 Bass Tracker 1800 Johnson 150 (I called it the lead sled)

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avidbasser View Post
    Nope....my boat will be in a garage attached to the house or in a detached garage on my property. I will never store my boat outside.
    right on
    TrackerUser

Winterize?! Its fishing time in Texas..from now until July!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Nope. Winter is some of the best fishing of the year here.

Welcome to the area and you can't throw a rock without hitting a big decent to great lake. Fork is just up the road and Rayburn/Toledo are 4 hours away. Pretty well bass fishing paradise. Great local and regional trails, tons of tackle stores and lots if people ate up with bass fishing. More importantly you are coming to an area full of friendly people. Feel free to hop in my boat and I will show you a couple of lakes.
    That's very generous of you...You're welcome in my boat anytime Mark. Heck any of you for that matter.

I'm going to miss CA weather, but not the many other things that had me wanting to run from this state.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    I winterize my boat. I also fallize, springize, and summerize it too.
    This is funny right there!

13. Member
    I live in north east md and it gets pretty cold here had some zero deree days in the past few winters and severa single digit days. I never winterize but I do keep the motor down all the way and keep it covered and plugged in so batts dont get drained. I had it 15 years and still runs like a beast. i have never disconnected the water gauge though never had an issue. I am a firm believer to run it at least once a month though to keep the juices flowing.

14. Member
    I live in south Arkansas and the only precaution i take is changing my lower unit oil every November. Last year it probably saved my lower unit. It was full of water and we had several days of record single and low double digit nights. I feel sure my lower unit would have froze cracked if i had not found that water as i keep it in a unheated carport.

15. Member
    if you're planning on storing the boat for a long period of time it's good to treat your fuel, add an oz. of oil into the spark plug hole and change out the lower unit oil. Don't matter where you live
    2004 Stratos 295 Pro XL
    2004 Mercury 3.0 L EFI 200 HP SN: 0T908560
    Standard/Servicemaster Lower 859399T13

Can’t imagine living in an area that you would need to winterize a boat. I guess California does have some benefit. My winterizing consists of removing my frogs and throwing a sweatshirt in.

Quote Originally Posted by suck my wake View Post
    Can’t imagine living in an area that you would need to winterize a boat. I guess California does have some benefit. My winterizing consists of removing my frogs and throwing a sweatshirt in.
    Yep, and tying a spinnerbait on

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

18. Member
    I'm in DFW. I don't make any changes at all for winters other than trimming the motor down if it is forecast to get below freezing. Boat stays outside under a cover and doesn't sit long enough to worry with special gas treatment. With the power plant lakes ~2 hrs away you don't even need to take your topwaters out of the boat.

I've only been here about a year. Fishing is great here btw. The amount and variety of lakes within 100 miles of dfw is crazy. I've fished I think 12 different new lakes this year and have a list of new ones for next year. In spring I went about 10 trips in a row with a 5lb+. Pretty much every lake has DD bass swimming in it, and you can pick how you want to fish most of the year.
    Skeeter ZX250
    Yamaha 250 HPDI

Quote Originally Posted by kyle31 View Post
    I'm in DFW. I don't make any changes at all for winters other than trimming the motor down if it is forecast to get below freezing. Boat stays outside under a cover and doesn't sit long enough to worry with special gas treatment. With the power plant lakes ~2 hrs away you don't even need to take your topwaters out of the boat.

I've only been here about a year. Fishing is great here btw. The amount and variety of lakes within 100 miles of dfw is crazy. I've fished I think 12 different new lakes this year and have a list of new ones for next year. In spring I went about 10 trips in a row with a 5lb+. Pretty much every lake has DD bass swimming in it, and you can pick how you want to fish most of the year.
    Thank you man. You guys / gals in Texas are very generous with responses. Looking forward to sharing the water with you all.

Quote Originally Posted by pops slowdog View Post
    I am 100 miles of the middle of the DFW metroplex.
    I bet I'm one of a very few on here who knows where Crow, TX is.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast