Mid to late 2000’s Cat

My son and I have been looking at getting our first “bass” rig. We’ve been looking for quite some time. It keeps coming down to a Cat, Skeeter or Ranger. Leaning towards a Cat. As time goes on there’s always been discussions about certain issues with certain models. This hull had a chime issue, that hull had a porpoise concern or that year they did this to improve that, etc. So that being said, which years and models should we take a closer look at if we’re looking for a 19-20’ Cat with the “it” factor from 2002-2010 in that 18-26k range or so? Great stability and handling. Speed isn’t really a concern. Roomy for up to 3 people. And is a able to fish big water like Mille Lacs.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2. Member
    For fishing 3 people I’d be looking for a Pantera 4, Cougar or Puma in those years. All of them should handle Mille Lacs or if you could find an early 2000s Jaguar

3. Member
    Also if your budget is up to $26,000 you should be able to find a nice boat. How far are you willing to travel? The Sabre I bought a couple of years ago was 9 hours away but it didn’t disappoint. It’s a 2002 with the factory flipping deck installed and I’ve fished 3 grown men in it multiple times. Though if you’re fishing big water on a regular basis the models that I mentioned are what I’d be looking for

4. Member
    I would think you could certainly find a good 02-08 in that range. I would think a 2010 would sell higher than the 26k range especially in good shape. I would ask 29 for my 07. But that’s only because of recent blister repair and boat touch up, electronics upgrades, and other upgrades I have done When looking at mid 2000’s boats of any brand raise it up off the bunks and take a look.

5. Member
    You narrowed your choices down to 3 good boats. I currently own a Bass Cat and will never own another brand. I did own a Skeeter in the past. It was a nice boat overall. No chine walk, turned on a dime while on plane and was stable. I had 2 dislikes. There is a lot of plastic trim that fades and weather's and 2 Skeeters tend to porpoise at low speeds. You can learn to minimize it thru tirming all the way down before reducing speeds and a hydraulic jackplate helps. But they still porpoise. I've fished out of a ton of Rangers. They are nice, not as fast as a Cat and they also use a lot of plastic trim. Oh and they are expensive.

I've only owned my new Cat since March, but I can tell you this. My PII is fast, has an incredible holeshot even with a Talon. It is fun to drive and the build quality is second to none. NO CHEAP PLASTIC trim or dash panals to ever worry about. The trailer a Cat sits on is the best in the business as is Bass Cats customer service.

Good luck in your search. With a 26K budget you should be able to find a nice used Puma or Cougar from the time frame you are looking.
    Brad Krone

6. Member
    Call Jeff, he always has some nice rigs! https://bills-marine.com/
    2001 ChampioN 206 Yamaha 225

I bought a 2003 Cougar a few months ago and love the boat. I have had Rangers, Champion, Astro and been in loads more and the cat for me is the best.
    plus you wont get the family feel from any others like you will for a Bass Cat.
    my Cougar is fast turns on a dime rides great and is a ball to fish out of. mine has the flippin deck insert in it which makes the deck really big.
    I haven't found one single thing to not like about the boat yet

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by milligjg View Post
    Call Jeff, he always has some nice rigs! https://bills-marine.com/
    I second this! Jeff is the man.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    You should be able to find a Cougar or Puma in that price range. I've got a P2 and love it but fishing 3 out of it is a little tough.

Bills Marine will take care of you. Good folks.

https://www.facebook.com/therealbillsmarine/?ref=br_rs

I'm on my second Basscat, currently owned this one since 03. Only issue with mine, I had to replace the omega digital dash. The pantera 2 dash I was able to send it in and have it repaired but the company has went out of business. The dash on my Jag had to be replaced but the customer service at basscat was great and installation wasn't that hard. The 2001 and up models all have 100% fiberglass hulls. In my opinion, Basscat is the best brand made and which ever model you choose will be a good one.
    I BELIEVE!!!!

at that price point you should be able to find an early to mid 2000s Cougar or Puma that will satisfy all of your above listed needs and out-perform equivalent Skeeters and Rangers in terms of speed, handling and rough water prowess.....don't be afraid to travel for the right deal....Bass boat selection up here can be few and far between.
    "Any pizza is a personal pizza if you believe in yourself"

13. Member

2007 Puma

I've got a 2007 Puma in Longville MN I'm getting ready to sell. Chris at 641 799-8532.
    SGM Chief01 / Team Daiwa & Team Bass Cat
    God Bless the USA, it's Service Members and all the fine Patriots

14. Member
    Thanks guys for your input. The more I look at the Cats the more I like them. We we’re out with Feider on Mille Lacs a month ago. It was windy and I was completely impressed on how his Eyra handled. Smooth even in an occasional 3’er.
    Last edited by muskiejeff; 11-06-2018 at 10:45 PM.

I bought a 2003 Cougar FTD this Spring with a Mercury Racing 250 XS for $20k. It was in really nice shape and had low hours.
    The best part is that I knew the previous owner and how he took care of it. The Cougar FTD is a nice riding boat, and its a rocket with the
    250 XS. The ride is not quite as cushy as my previous ride which was the Champion 221. I am happy with the Cougar and would buy
    another Bass Cat when the time comes.

16. Member
    I highly recommend looking into a cougar ftd. I purchased a 2008 back in August and have no regrets. I captain for High school kids often so I run 3 people and lots of gear most of the time and the speed is there when I need it (74-75mph) but the ride quality is great. This past weekend I captained for a tournament on tenkiller and I ran in 2-3' rollers and it took it with no problem