Banned

Lost temp readout on all three transducers, anyone else have this occur with network

Hi, I have the following all connected to network.

1197 using Ulterra built in transducer
    1198 using dual beam glued in hull
    Helix12 2GN with XPTH 9 20 MSI T Plastic Thru Hull

This summer all the temps stopped working. Reset all to unit to defaults and disconnected each from the network, did not fix the problem. Checked system status and temp does not show up on all three units. Swapped our transducers on 1198 and Helix with other transducers I have and temps read out but do not still show up under system status. But swapped transducers do show up under network both 1198 and Helix can be switched. To me seems kind of strange that something may have blown out out three temp sensors in the transducers.

Any thoughts, similar problems?

2. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    That's going to be tough.
    Mixing new technology and a decade old unit could give weird results.

I'm not on my Windows PC but someone might be able to post the procedure for a network IP address reset I've posted before.

I don't mix and match temps between units and no longer have any "legacy" machines in the mix.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

3. Member
    I believe this is the one you are referring to Robert.

Post #5 in the below thread:

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....ighlight=reset
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Wes....
    That's the very 1st post about it, when I had an issue. ONCE.

Nice work Sir!!
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Did this happen after doing any updates on your old units ? If so let me know and I will look up how to get your temp back on your units, this happened to me before so I wrote down how to fix it so I would not forget

6. Banned
    I don't recall. But here is what I have tried for trouble shooting.

Reset all units to defaults - no temp readouts
    Disconnected units from network - no temp readouts
    Confirmed all units have latest updates - no temp readouts

Connected different XPTH 9 20 MSI transducer to Helix - now have temp readout but still does not show up in system status
    Connected SI transducer to 1198 - now have temp readout but still does not show up in system status

So appears to me that all the original transducers have there temp sensors blown out.

Has anyone ever had temp sense go out in a transducer?

7. Banned
    Update

After my 3rd discussion with HB on losing temp sense, I was informed yesterday that the XPTH 9 20 MSI T Plastic Thru Hull transducers have temp reading problems. HB is sending a replacement under warranty. Also learned yesterday that if the unit is set to demonstration visible then unit will check to see if there is a temp senor connected. If temp demonstration is off, then the unit will default to normal and just assume there is a temp sensor attached. A useful trouble shooting tip.

For those that have a glued in 2D shooting through the fiberglass hull, do you get temp readings? I would think you still would but lose some accuracy. I have two glued in and neither provide temp readings.

Mysteriously the trolling motor temp sensor started working yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by gfishin View Post
    Update

After my 3rd discussion with HB on losing temp sense, I was informed yesterday that the XPTH 9 20 MSI T Plastic Thru Hull transducers have temp reading problems. HB is sending a replacement under warranty. Also learned yesterday that if the unit is set to demonstration visible then unit will check to see if there is a temp senor connected. If temp demonstration is off, then the unit will default to normal and just assume there is a temp sensor attached. A useful trouble shooting tip.

For those that have a glued in 2D shooting through the fiberglass hull, do you get temp readings? I would think you still would but lose some accuracy. I have two glued in and neither provide temp readings.

Mysteriously the trolling motor temp sensor started working yesterday.
    There are two shoot-thru pucks.
    XP 9 20 used with a Y cable and another transducer that has the temp sensor.

XP 9 20 T used with Sonar-only units since it has a remote temp sensor to attach to the transom.

If you are using a Y cable it makes no difference which one you use, since there is no electrical circuit for the temp sensor. Temp comes from the primary transducer.
    Last edited by Wayne P.; 11-09-2018 at 04:51 PM.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    Turning off demonstration mode is one of the 1st things I recommend to do because it's been that way for years.

Depending on the software for different models it was off or on with v1.830/1.84 when I flashed my units.

Always use the unit's temp sensor and have never had one fail yet.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

10. Banned
    Wayne, thanks for the info. One of the glued in 2D connects directly to the 1198 without y-cable and the other is not used. I believe I checked both glued in transducers the other day and they had the center pin for the temp but I connected 5 different transducers that day so will verify the glued in transducers have temp pin.

Quote Originally Posted by gfishin View Post
    Wayne, thanks for the info. One of the glued in 2D connects directly to the 1198 without y-cable and the other is not used. I believe I checked both glued in transducers the other day and they had the center pin for the temp but I connected 5 different transducers that day so will verify the glued in transducers have temp pin.
    The center pin is not the Temp positive. It is the common negative for all the sensors.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Banned
    Wayne, thanks again. I guess I should have searched for the image, however the Humminbird CS person, (Matt) I am pretty certain informed me to look for the center pin on all my transducers and of course the sensor itself, but for the glue in not possible. I'll check for the correct pin tomorrow.