Merc 4 Stroke 60 HP Lower Unit Drain Pug Seal Recommended Replacement Interval

Yellow Gear Drain Seal 26-830749. How often should these be replaced? Assume if not replaced regularly these could be a source of water intrusion?

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Recommend replacement each time the plug is removed to change lube.

Yes... they "can" be re-used, but replacement is certainly a wise choice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Perfect. Thank you. Yeah, I’ve gotten two seasons out of these and when changing the LU oil, I saw some white streaking out. Just enough for me to think I need to replace these seals.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilermakerRT178 View Post
    Perfect. Thank you. Yeah, I’ve gotten two seasons out of these and when changing the LU oil, I saw some white streaking out. Just enough for me to think I need to replace these seals.
    I don't use the yellow seal more than twice (new plus one) and always keep spares on hand.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax