Tempest plus Question

The boat is slow to get on plane and revs high with 3 large plugs in. What plugs should I try. 21.6 cobra with a 225 Yamaha Tempest 25 68Mph at 5900 RPMs

Do u mean revs high as it breaks over onto plane? Cuz 5900 is not revving high at top speed.

If its slow to come out of the hole, it doesnt make sense that it would rev high then. Those plugs do nothing for your top rpms, they only allow the prop to vent to help the holeshot
    Ranger R81VS, Mercury 175EFI w/ 25 Tempest

3. Banned
    Take 1 large out and stick a solid in its place, run again & test.

4. Member
    It revs high as it breaks over onto plane.

5. Member
    Two ways to do it, buy four solid plugs and drill them out larger each time until it's right or buy three of all the different sizes until you find the right combo and the plugs don't all have to be the same size.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Liplander View Post
    It revs high as it breaks over onto plane.
    That's common for a Tempest Plus, just feather the throttle slightly on break over.

...The tach just suddely cuts loose and jumps up? smaller plugs should solve the problem.

Mississippi River Pool 13
    Ranger R93 / Merc 200

8. Member
    PVS plugs won't cure break-over blowout on a Tempest Plus. Adjust PVS plugs for around 3500RPM at the hit of the throttle, and feather the throttle during break-over......its not hard to do.

Motor to high ? you have 15% prop slip assuming a 1.75 gear. Correct the excessive slip first
    Do you have poles and or a very heavy load
    Tempest on that boat should only require one large plug if the prop is in good shape and p to p is set correctly. As mentioned above you will need to lift a little as it noses over
    Thank You Leon Pugh

10. Member
    May I ask a question about the break over revs?
    I have a Tempest Plus 19pitch It seems to rev a little as I plane out, is that normal?
    The outfit is a Alumacraft 20ft modified V bottom with a mercury 115 4 stroke command thrust tacks out at 6000 rpm
    I thought maybe I should have the prop cupped a little maybe to about a 20pitch to drop rpm down a little and correct any slip?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks Steve

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile1 View Post
    May I ask a question about the break over revs?
    I have a Tempest Plus 19pitch It seems to rev a little as I plane out, is that normal?
    The outfit is a Alumacraft 20ft modified V bottom with a mercury 115 4 stroke command thrust tacks out at 6000 rpm
    I thought maybe I should have the prop cupped a little maybe to about a 20pitch to drop rpm down a little and correct any slip?
    Any ideas?
    Thanks Steve
    It IS a common occurrence.

12. Member
    A few have already mentioned it. Try two solid plugs (opposite side of each other), and two of the smallest vented plugs (opposite side of each other). Yamaha's run well with that prop once you figure the right plug combination out. It wont give you the hole shot other Yamaha props may; however, it is an overall well performing prop. Remember though, how you drive it may be very different than the next 100 drivers. Jack plate height, trim, weight distribution, live wells full or empty are all things to consider, just test it with the same load and settings each time until you find what your looking for.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked247 View Post
    A few have already mentioned it. Try two solid plugs (opposite side of each other), and two of the smallest vented plugs (opposite side of each other). Yamaha's run well with that prop once you figure the right plug combination out. It wont give you the hole shot other Yamaha props may; however, it is an overall well performing prop. Remember though, how you drive it may be very different than the next 100 drivers. Jack plate height, trim, weight distribution, live wells full or empty are all things to consider, just test it with the same load and settings each time until you find what your looking for.
    2 solid plugs and 2 small plugs would be hard to do. A Tempest Plus is a 3 blade prop and only had 3 PVS holes.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

Well you could drill another hole so you would be able to plug it...…. Don't be offended, just funnin with you
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Collis View Post
    2 solid plugs and 2 small plugs would be hard to do. A Tempest Plus is a 3 blade prop and only had 3 PVS holes.
    That's right, I had 4 blade on my brain. Sorry for any confusion. No worries, I have a great sense of humor....