Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Decent rod/reel combo recommendations

I have recently bought my first bass boat. I have my own fishing gear that I continue to upgrade as I learn. I would like to purchase enough rods and reels so that when I take someone fishing, there will be enough decent gear for them to fish as well. To supply this with higher end gear would get costly to say the least. I was wondering what combo's would be most recommended? Looking for both casting rigs and spinning rigs.
    Thank you any advice you can provide!

2. Member
    For rods i'd stick with dobyns fury, excellent value. For reels i'd stick with daiwa (best you can afford).

3. Member
    Call Alex of ALX Rods. Best rods on the market and he has one at every price point.

4. Member
    The Curado K matches well with the Curado rod. I have a combo for Wiggle Wart and Rock Krawlers.

5. Member
    Casting rods I’d say go with Kistler, ALX, or St Croix and for spinning rods St Croix or Fenwick elite techs. I’m not really brand loyal and always try a a little bit of everything to see what I like and don’t, always come back to St Croix for most everything though.

For casting reels I really like Lews but they don’t seem to last as long as Shimano or Daiwa but are more affordable and have a smaller profile. Spinning reels would be Pflueger. The president is the best bang for your buck reel but the supreme is really where they start to shine and not as bulky as the president

6. Member
    My opinions would be call alx and see about a package deal or the new tatula rods are pretty nice and sensitive.. reels I would go with tatula cts for baitcasting and either bugs or tatula for spinning reels
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

7. Member
    For reels I'd go with the Daiwa Fuego Ct. They retail for $100 but can be had for $65 on Ebay. I'd also go with the Daiwa spinning reels in your price range. For rods, I personally think almost every manufacturer makes a nice $100 rod. Find some that feel comfortable and go with it.

8. Member
    Depends on budget. Every time I hear budget what people mean by this vary. For reels I would pick some Daiwa Tatulas. Probably get the best deal on some CT models. For spinning reels I would get the Shimano Nasci or Saros. Great reels for the money.

For your rods look at the Phenix Feather series but know they are about 1/2 power under rated. Use these for feel baits and get some Dobyns Fury series rods for everything else

9. Member
    Thanks for all the information so far! So was looking at some different things and really liked the Daiwa Tatula CT (for the money) and a St. Croix Mojo bass series (the newer series I was told). Since this will be the first time I have specific rods for crankbaits, pitching, etc. would this be a good combo to consider?

10. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I have a few of the Tatula Type Rs and they are great reels. While I don’t personally like the feel of the Mojo Bass rods I can’t say to that end but I’m an outlier with that opinion. I’m sure it will be a good combo. Just pay attention to how it’s rated...don’t go flipping with a medium/moderate, or throwing a topwater with a heavy/x-fast...now backwards it would work perfect.

I believe you have to feel what fits your hand and style the best then get one rod/reel combo for each technique you do. Some will overlap which is good, some will be close. I throw a squarebill on a medium/moderate but a jerk bait on a medium/fast. Not a huge difference and can use those two rigs for other things like each could be a topwater rod depending on the bait.

Id go one technique at a time, nail it down and move to the next. That way while you’re feeling rods you may come across one that might not be right for pitching, but may be a perfect chatterbait rod.

Best of luck
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc15 View Post
    Thanks for all the information so far! So was looking at some different things and really liked the Daiwa Tatula CT (for the money) and a St. Croix Mojo bass series (the newer series I was told). Since this will be the first time I have specific rods for crankbaits, pitching, etc. would this be a good combo to consider?
    I owned multiple mojo (new gen) rods and didn't personally care for them. For the money, irod fiber and dobyns fury to me were great value rods compared to the mojo.

12. Banned

13. Member
    A Daiwa Tatula or Fuego reel paired with a Dobyn's Fury or a Powell Inferno rod would make a really nice affordable combo.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DogDoc15 View Post
    When I first started expanding I bought a good amount of Mojo bass rods, to be honest I now have rods up into the $300 price range and still fish some of the mojo’s right with them (The 6’10” target cranker for square bills and 7’4” cranker for medium size cranks are actually very good rods in my opinion.) Also the frog rod does the job pretty darn good for the price... I feel the spinning rods can be improved on and are a little tip heavy...but I still fish every one of the casting rods I’ve bought at times and my ride alongs always seem impressed to use them.
    Baitcasting reels pick the brand that fits your hand comfortably, I’ve had great luck with 13 fishing concept A, lews, diawa, and shimano...pick your price point but I’d try for the mid $100 range if you can.
    Spinning reels hard to beat Pflueger for basic/starter spinning set ups.

Good luck, have fun, tight lines!

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    With the 13 Fishing I got a Concept A reel and a 7’ Fate Chrome Black Medium/Fast out of the for sale section...it’s a great combo for squarebills and other smaller cranks, topwater, jerkbaits, chatterbaits, etc and between the 2 I have less than $175 in that combo.

Both pieces, bought from different sellers were purchased in the same week, the rod still had the tags on it and the reel was perfect! Our For Sale Section can be a great resource.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

16. Member
    I think I am going to pick up a Mojo bass and Dobyns fury for 2 rods to try and then Daiwa CT reels to start. I have never handled a Dobyns fury but it seems to be highly recommended!

17. Member
    You'll like the Fury and Tatula combo...highly recommended

18. Member
    Happy with my Fury and it had the best packaging of any rod I have received

19. Member
    I do fish light squarebill cranks quite a bit. From what I have been reading, a medium action rod with moderate fast action is ideal. It appears Dobyns has a med/heavy with a moderate fast action 7' rod.
    Do you guys feel this would work well for light cranks? I think I have all the others figured out(flipping pitching, spinner baits, lipless cranks, etc). The light squarebill rod is the only one I'm not quite sure on.

20. Member
    705 cb Fury for squarebills

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast