Thread: G2 battery

G2 battery

Have a 2015 G2 and needing a starting battery looking at Duracell agm 31 series from Sam's but reading some things that G2 and agm do not work good together anyone have any experience with this also looking to get 3 more of these for trolling any input would be appreciated
    2015 Stratos 201 XL Evolution
    2015 Evinrude 250 HO G2

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    No reason whatsoever for a G2 not to work with AGM cranking battery. I have one in my boat, and know of many others likewise. As to AGM trolling batteries, do as you wish, but the potential downside to AGM trollers (other than cost) is that when they lose charge, it’s all gone at once, so you could be trolling at full speed and next moment have nothing. Duracell AGMs are fine, as a brand.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    May just go with agm for cranking and 3 regular wet cell for trolling.....just checked lil bit ago Sam's has there Duracell 31 series on sale hope it last till Monday
    2015 Stratos 201 XL Evolution
    2015 Evinrude 250 HO G2

The Evinrude tech at a Costa tournament mentioned that Evinrude does not recommend lithium batteries for the G2. I haven't heard anything about AGM batteries.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    No reason whatsoever for a G2 not to work with AGM cranking battery. I have one in my boat, and know of many others likewise. As to AGM trolling batteries, do as you wish, but the potential downside to AGM trollers (other than cost) is that when they lose charge, it’s all gone at once, so you could be trolling at full speed and next moment have nothing. Duracell AGMs are fine, as a brand.
    Sure you aren't confusing Lithiums with AGM's? Lithiums will just die on you.

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Sure you aren't confusing Lithiums with AGM's? Lithiums will just die on you.
    Maybe my source was.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

No problem using AGM batteries with later model Evinrudes, just do not use Lithium type batteries.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

8. Member
    I used the Duracell AGM batteries from Sam's with my G2 and trolling motor before switching to an X2 AGM for the G2/main boat power and lithiums for the trolling motor and a separate electronics battery. The issue that I ran into was that I would loose power during the day when I was running the livewell pumps and multiple graphs (HDS12, and put them on standby or powered off too.). I never had an issue with using the Duracell AGMs for the trolling motor. I had other guys run the Duracell AGMs and they were happy with them. I would recommend the X2 AGM if you have bigger electronics as it has significantly more reserve power.
    Garry Woodruff
    2020 Ranger 522D / 250HO Evinrude G2 / SonarCards

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GarryW View Post
    I used the Duracell AGM batteries from Sam's with my G2 and trolling motor before switching to an X2 AGM for the G2/main boat power and lithiums for the trolling motor and a separate electronics battery. The issue that I ran into was that I would loose power during the day when I was running the livewell pumps and multiple graphs (HDS12, and put them on standby or powered off too.). I never had an issue with using the Duracell AGMs for the trolling motor. I had other guys run the Duracell AGMs and they were happy with them. I would recommend the X2 AGM if you have bigger electronics as it has significantly more reserve power.
    x2 on the X2! I think I could run the pumps on constant, leave the graphs, interior lights and nav lights on all day without starting the big motor and it would still start after 8hrs. I might be exaggerating a little bit but honestly you can’t kill them.
    2017 Ranger 518 w/ Evinrude 150HO G2

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SEAHORSE View Post
    No problem using AGM batteries with later model Evinrudes, just do not use Lithium type batteries.
    Curious as to why?
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

11. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar
    Post#5,,,

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

Quote Originally Posted by proptwister View Post
    Curious as to why?

February 16, 2017 No. 2017-02(D) Models: All Evinrude® Outboards

SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

American Boat and Yacht Council (ABYC) specifications state:
    “Lithium Ion Battery systems pose different risks from those encountered with lead acid batteries and should only be installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations." Failure to follow the battery manufacturer recommendations may cause the battery to fail, resulting in a fire or explosion, property damage, and serious injury or death.
    -----

13. Ohio Fishing Reports Moderator omcforever's Avatar

This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.

The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.

If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.

“Lithium Ion Battery systems pose different risks from those encountered with lead acid batteries and should only be installed and maintained in accordance with manufacturer's recommendations." Failure to follow the battery manufacturer recommendations may cause the battery to fail, resulting in a fire or explosion, property damage, and serious injury or death.
    Good to know info,,Thanks

Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill !!

14. Member
    how many cold cranking amps should the starting battery be?

Quote Originally Posted by ram rod View Post
    how many cold cranking amps should the starting battery be?
    800CCA minimum for all weather usage.

Keep in mind, this is only for the motor. If you have a lot of accessories and electronics that run off the one battery, install the highest capacity one that will fit and you can afford.

This is in your owners manual.
    -----

16. Member

Interesting. I've been watching mine closely but have had zero issues. Thank you for the info.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

17. Member
    I have been running a Relion lithium for two years now on my G2 250 with no issues. I was told they contacted Evinrude at the time and said it would be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash2 View Post
    I have been running a Relion lithium for two years now on my G2 250 with no issues. I was told they contacted Evinrude at the time and said it would be ok.
    Evinrude does not say that anything is OK. It has to be in writing, but the above literature from Evinrude says otherwise.
    -----

19. Member

Seahorse any idea of what that means, installation of additional equipment may be required by the battery manufacturer? I was never told I needed anything else to run the lithium battery.

My personal response would be to carry a rabbit's foot and keep your fingers crossed. My first course of action, if the boat were mine, would be to replace the battery with a traditional type.

This would be the scenario if the battery was connected to the motor.

If the bank of lithium batteries were dedicated to the trolling motor and charged with a lithium rated charger, then that would be OK.

-----