Thread: Tabs on a GT183

Tabs on a GT183

1990 GT183/ 1991 Yamaha 150 4 blade predator

Posting this because I had a hard time gathering info and had to pull the trigger with few trailblazers to chat with.

My Gambler was a slug in the hole, but additionally like most bass boats (every one I have owned) it comes off pad easy and suddenly during deceleration.

I like my boat, did a moderate restoration on it, and it catches fish so I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

What I wanted was a safer and faster hole shot.
    Played with props, jack plate ect..

Added tabs and it changed this boat.

First off the boat just "feels" better, everything about day to day running from spot A to spot B is way superior.
    Almost no bow rise (not kidding)
    Stays on pad at 16.5MPH (you can nurse it right at the edge and it will not jump off pad until you drop off the gas)
    Uses less throttle at low to mid speeds.
    Zero chine walk

Now for the bad part:

Deployed tabs cause a decrease in top end speed. The tabs I installed are the Bennett SLT on mid resistance setting, so they are always deployed with a resistance force determined by a stainless spring in the piston assembly.

Top speed GPS prior to tabs 72
    Top speed GPS after tabs 70

I do not particularly care for going 70, I generally run in the 40's, it should be noted that electric tabs can totally retract when running and will not notch your upper end.

This is my fist full season with the tabs and I am not going back.

If you do tabs I recommend Bennett, I bought the other brand and it was just trashy looking and feeling I just sent them back before drilling any holes (thankfully).
    Attached Images Attached Images