Ultrex shaft length on a RT198P Ranger

I’m thinking about buying a Minn Kota Ultrex to replace the 42 in shaft Fortex. Presently the Fortex motor is only 12 inches below water line with motor all the way down. Too shallow for rough water. Not sure if I should go to the 48 or 52 inch shaft. Curious to know what other went to.

2. Member
    I got the 48" on mine. been on some rough water with no problems.
    if you fish the great lakes you may want the 52"

3. Member
    Big water/waves. Shallow calm stuff 48

4. Member
    I just checked the MK site and it reports 45", 50" and 60" lengths.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

5. Member
    45 should work fine. A longer shaft would be a pain when stowed.

6. Member
    Ive seen a bunch of people speculate and say oh its going to stick way up when in the water or its going to hang wayyyyy too far off the side of the boat when stowed but I actually have the 52” model on my 198 and dont have any of those issues.
    2018 Ranger rt198p
    Evinrude E-TEC G2 150
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80
    Lowrance Elite Ti 12” - bow
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 12” - console

Quote Originally Posted by Stevee k View Post
    Ive seen a bunch of people speculate and say oh its going to stick way up when in the water or its going to hang wayyyyy too far off the side of the boat when stowed but I actually have the 52” model on my 198 and dont have any of those issues.
    good to hear. I’m thinking that 90% of my fishing a 45 in shaft would be fine but now and then I do fish some rough water where the 42 in shaft motor on my fortex is constantly coming out of the water. I would really like to get the 52 inch shaft. Based on what you said that makes my decision a little easier. Thanks

Having a 42 inch Fortex on my rig was a mistake on my behalf when I purchase my rig. I regret not replacing the stock trolling motor with a 48 inch or a 50 inch. I would definitly upgrade to a 48 or 52 inch Sir!! Good Luck - Glenn

9. Member
    I have an ultrex on my 188 with 45 inch shaft which is good in most cases . The one thing that happens when you fish in the wind the bow is in the wind so if you fish in the back of the boat .the motor will come out of the water a little .

When I change my trolling motor out int he near future I will be putting 60 inch on. I spend a lot of time on Lake St. Clair. So great lakes are my play ground at times