Diesel Tractor mod - Will it cause any problems?

I have a three cylinder diesel tractor engine in a Mahindra max 28. The air filter for this thing is $40.00 and no more local dealer either. In an effort to increase the air filter life I have designed a pre-filter set up that uses a pod filter in front of the factory set up at the front of the intake tube. This pod filter is lightly oiled with a washable oil and after testing has trapped every bit of dirt that has come it's way. I wash it every 20 hours and it is working perfectly.

My question is this - Am I doing anything to this diesel engine that would harm it in the long run? The oil on the filter is staying put and not reaching any other components. Tractor is running normally

Thanks

Mike
    Mike

In Memory of Michael
    Fantastic Father and Loving Son
    A true man at 23 years old

"What was once a great country has been mortgaged and bankrupted by the egos and ethics of career politicians."

2. Banned
    An oil type filter (K&N) is not to be used on light diesel trucks because of the high compression of truck engines sucks the dirt straight through the oiled style filter.

I would say you're okay since you still have the other filter behind it. Anything to save a few bucks.

3. Member
    The filter I am using is a foam type filter made more or less for dirt bikes and is trapping all the dirt in the filter. I could not believe the dirt it trapped when I washed it.

Yes, the stock filter is checked and remains in the stock location.

Thanks for the info.
    Mike

In Memory of Michael

"What was once a great country has been mortgaged and bankrupted by the egos and ethics of career politicians."

4. Member
    What's the part# on the factory filter?

5. Member
    I believe a Napa Gold 6483 is what you need. My price is $15.77.

6. Member
    With the added filter I could see possibly where the added air restrictions may potentially cause an issue.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    What's the part# on the factory filter?
    The part # is 35460501800

The NAPA web page shows my model tractor in the application guide but only through 2011 - I have a 2013 but don't recall any changes in this model for many, many, years. Time to investigate.......

The Napa gold looks close but mine has foam rings on both ends not the rubber. I will however take a stock filter to Napa and check it out..Thanks
    Last edited by Sigma; 11-06-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    Mike

In Memory of Michael

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    With the added filter I could see possibly where the added air restrictions may potentially cause an issue.
    What issue, what do I watch for?
    Mike

In Memory of Michael

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc1992 View Post
    I was wrong, that number crosses to a Napa Gold 500402 and my cost is $32.

It's also Fleetguard AF26230 , BALDWIN PA4934 , WIX SA10402.

Your local parts house should be able to cross one of those numbers over to their number.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
    I was wrong, that number crosses to a Napa Gold 500402 and my cost is $32.

It's also Fleetguard AF26230 , BALDWIN PA4934 , WIX SA10402.

Your local parts house should be able to cross one of those numbers over to their number.

Thanks for the info Transamz9. I will do some shopping around for the future filter changes.
    Mike

In Memory of Michael