2005 250 HPDI Starting Advise

Good afternoon,

New to me motor.. I've ran OMC my entire life

My outboard is starting to struggle starting in the am. I've recently replaced all the filters this past month and it was starting with no issue's. The last two trips out it's been a PITA

Here's how I start the day off...

Squeeze primer ball until firm
    Press and hold in the key and crank it over for 3-5 seconds, then repeat. (do I hold the key in and if so for how long)
    It usually takes 2-3 times to fire up but now taking 7-10 times and it struggles to stay at idle.

Once she kicks in then it runs great!

Thoughts?
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    1997 Johnson 175HP Fast Strike 25 Renegade
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

2. Member
    Pressing in the key is to activate a choke. Which the HPDI does not have. Therefore, pressing in the key or not pressing in the key has the same effect. NADA.\

No idea about the hard start issue.

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Pressing in the key is to activate a choke. Which the HPDI does not have. Therefore, pressing in the key or not pressing in the key has the same effect. NADA.\

No idea about the hard start issue.
    interesting..I can defenatly press the key in and your saying it does squat. How do you choke the motor for cold starts? My guess is there is no choke?
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

4. Member
    Its fuel injection, uses temp sensor to richen mixture on cold starts. Check lift pumps and fuel pressure along with temp sender. Cj
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by javelinbass View Post
    interesting..I can defenatly press the key in and your saying it does squat. How do you choke the motor for cold starts? My guess is there is no choke?
    Correct.

Only certain older Yamaha carbureted two and four strokes used chokes. I daresay that most Yams don't use chokes. They use what Yamaha refers to as Primestart. Automatic fuel enrichment when the motor is cold.

As CJ1 notes, HPDI's are fuel injected. All Yam two stroke and four stroke EFI modes use Primestart. But the key switch is designed for all Yamaha models. Therefore it has the press to choke function. Which is not even connected to the motor.

If you are new to the HPDI that you have, send me your email address and I will send you some literature about it. If you want to know more. And I will presume that it is the VZ250 model and not a Z250 model. A VZ being for a bass boat. The Z model is typically used on a deeper saltwater boat.

Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Correct.

Only certain older Yamaha carbureted two and four strokes used chokes. I daresay that most Yams don't use chokes. They use what Yamaha refers to as Primestart. Automatic fuel enrichment when the motor is cold.

As CJ1 notes, HPDI's are fuel injected. All Yam two stroke and four stroke EFI modes use Primestart. But the key switch is designed for all Yamaha models. Therefore it has the press to choke function. Which is not even connected to the motor.

If you are new to the HPDI that you have, send me your email address and I will send you some literature about it. If you want to know more. And I will presume that it is the VZ250 model and not a Z250 model. A VZ being for a bass boat. The Z model is typically used on a deeper saltwater boat.
    pm sent
    1997 Champion 186 Elite
    MinnKota Talon
    Lowrance Electonics

I have the same motor new to me, may I trouble you for the same literature? Pm sent. Thanks

8. Member
    I have a 05 225 hpdi and i nearly always have to give it some gas to start it cold. But works every time that way.

Seen where alot of folks start it right before it hits the water backing down the ramp and it will fire right up without giving it any gas. Weird.

I've replaced every filter on it (even mystery filters) and no change whatsoever.

9. Member
    I have a 250 HPDI and was told to never prime the bulb and raise your engine so that prop is barely under the water, works every time for me.

Lower pressure lift pumps need to be checked. Better yet just replace them. Easy job! You can change all the filters in the world and still have issues if your pumps don’t work or are weak. The pumps are a maintenance item.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,