How do I determine wheel size?

Hello,

I am a complete newb here obviously and I tried searching and could not find this exact answer im looking for. I have recently picked up a new(to me) boat and trailer. The trailer currently only has two wheels, and my nervous disposition will not let that stand. I am in search of a spare and want to make sure i get a wheel that matches size/backspacing etc. I know its a 14 inch wheel, and i can look at the dimensions on the tire, but how do I determine the exact wheel size to order? Thanks in advance

What type of boat is it? Trailer wheels are 0”of offset. If you look at trailer specific wheels they will all be the same. Common axle on boat trailers has a 5 lug on 4 1/2” bolt circle which is likely what you have.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    What type of boat is it? Trailer wheels are 0”of offset. If you look at trailer specific wheels they will all be the same. Common axle on boat trailers has a 5 lug on 4 1/2” bolt circle which is likely what you have.
    Thanks for responding..its an older glasstream bass boat, on a hardline trailer. It is definitely a 5 lug, how would i determine 4 1/2 inch bolt circle what am i measuring? sorry completely new to this

Don’t mean to cut in on BTO, but just happened to see this post This link shows how to measure the bolt circle.
    https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx
    you mentioned that you could read the numbers on the tires so you probably know this but just in case:
    The first three numbers on the tire size is the width in millimeters, for example:
    185/80R13 is 185mm X .039 = 7.2 inches wide

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Don’t mean to cut in on BTO, but just happened to see this post This link shows how to measure the bolt circle.
    https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wheel-bolt-pattern.aspx
    you mentioned that you could read the numbers on the tires so you probably know this but just in case:
    The first three numbers on the tire size is the width in millimeters, for example:
    185/80R13 is 185mm X .039 = 7.2 inches wide
    Thanks for the E-Trailer link...going out to measure now, then to order a new wheel/tire and spare tire carrier

6. Member
    I find if you measure from the edge of the rim to the opposite edge, a wheel will be about 1&1/2" larger in this dimension than the tire size.
    14 inch wheels usually are 15&1/2 inches in diameter.