Thread: Keel Protection

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Keel Protection

Can you put a Hamby's or Keel Shield on these? I wouldn't want to run these up on gravel shore and gouge the aluminum or scratch the paint.

2. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Currently we are not recommending a keel protection strip for our aluminum boats, in testing we have found they do not stick as well as on fiberglass,
    we are working with a third party manufacturer to improve a keel protector that we can recommend . .

3. Member
    Aren't gravel banks a big reason for going aluminum to start with?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    That's what I thought Running it up on the bank, bouncing off trees, getting hung up on stumps. Like many have said, the boat is just a tool. I use mine to get where fancy fiberglass posers won't go.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
    That's what I thought Running it up on the bank, bouncing off trees, getting hung up on stumps. Like many have said, the boat is just a tool. I use mine to get where fancy fiberglass posers won't go.
    That's true to a point but the newer tin boats, in particular the Vexus are not a traditional "tin rig" When you start throwing around prices in the 40k to 50k range, people are going to want to protect their rig, it's just human nature. These boats are really more a a hybrid rig than tin or fiberglass.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

6. Member
    I want it kept looking like new like all my previous rigs and treat them all with kid gloves as much as possible.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Currently we are not recommending a keel protection strip for our aluminum boats, in testing we have found they do not stick as well as on fiberglass,
    we are working with a third party manufacturer to improve a keel protector that we can recommend . .
    Sclark,
    Would this be something a dealer could install after the fact or only factory install.
    Any idea when you might know?
    Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post
    That's true to a point but the newer tin boats, in particular the Vexus are not a traditional "tin rig" When you start throwing around prices in the 40k to 50k range, people are going to want to protect their rig, it's just human nature. These boats are really more a a hybrid rig than tin or fiberglass.
    I couldn't bring myself to spend 40k to 50k on a tin rig especially if I can get something in fiberglass for that price. What makes it a hybrid, fiberglass storage boxes, live wells and console?

9. Member
    I couldn't bring myself to spend 40k to 50k on a tin rig especially if I can get something in fiberglass for that price. What makes it a hybrid, fiberglass storage boxes, live wells and console?
    I think all those items make it a hybrid including the price. I'm not talking about a hybrid hull design or anything like that. My first rig was one of the original Bass Trackers in 1977 and we beat the snot out of that boat and didn't care. It was an inexpensive way to get to the fish in tough spots and battle scars were just fine. I just don't see the Vexus in this category.

I agree with your take on the price and I'm still a little confused regarding what niche of the market these rigs are really targeted at. Once I'm seeing prices over 30k, I'm going fiberglass all day long and I say that with respect as the Vexus rigs are obviously very high quality and well thought out. I don't mean anything disparaging at all. They've obviously studied the market know what their target customers want and how much they're wiling to pay.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS

10. Member
    The boat itself might be aluminum with all of the fiberglass parts you mentioned, but its more than that. The boat rides and fishes like a glass boat. You wont believe it unless you get in one and put it through the paces but I, and many others, believe it to be true. My 2017 Ranger is for sale because I ordered an AVX2080. After driving and fishing in one I feel like I just bought a 20' rig that will run 65, ride and fish like a glass boat, for about 20k less than I could buy a glass rig of similar length. Thats my .02
    VC Marine
    Cashion Rods
    Lew's
    Vexus Boats

2022 Vexus VX21, 250 ProXS

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Danbleume View Post
    Most aluminum boats come with painted bottoms now. I kind of like the boats that aren't painted for this reason!

12. Member
    Its obvious you have not ridden in one

Quote Originally Posted by FiremanKen View Post
    Its obvious you have not ridden in one
    It's obvious there are no dealers in NJ/NY/PA or I would.

14. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    Connecticut Dealer ?

https://www.reynoldsboats.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sclark View Post
    Thanks for the info sclark but NJ to Connecticut is a HORRIBLE drive no matter what time of the day you do it. I do hear a lot of good things about those guys.

You really need a tri-state dealer if you have to capacity to handle the extra volume of orders

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ericm View Post

Agreed these pricey tin rigs kind eliminate the appeal of a tin boat to me. I just re-powered a 2007 War eagle and cry every time I scratch the cowl lol

17. Moderator Vexus Boats sclark's Avatar
    i understand Grizzly, best i can do right now,
    always new dealers coming online.

18. Member
    Make the drive on a weekend, aint that bad if u really wanna see it. If you wanna see a Vexus thats your only option unless you wait for some winter boat shows. In some circles Tri State is CT, NJ and NY - guess it depends on where u r in jersey

19. Member
    Put a keel protector on my xpress x19. Has been on for almost 4 years now. They did not recommend I install one either, but it worked perfect. It all depends on the prep work.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

20. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Siuebass0 View Post
    After driving and fishing in one I feel like I just bought a 20' rig that will run 65, ride and fish like a glass boat, for about 20k less than I could buy a glass rig of similar length. Thats my .02
    Just wondering what you paid???... Ballpark, is good enough... Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast