Banned

Hypothetically...

Yesterday I was out fishing on the river. One the way down the river there was a lot of debris floating, I slowed down and dodged the best I could but something got stuck in the thermostats. After fishing for a while I started up the engine and it would only warm to 95* (water temp was 58*). I idled to a few other spots hoping to clear whatever was causing the problem. After doing this for the next 2 hours I actually called the wife to get the truck and trailer and bring it to a closer ramp since I had about a 10 mile ride back to where I had launched. While giving her directions to the closest ramp the temp took off and rose to 125* so off I went...

Here's the hypothetical... If I would have just taken off and cause the engine to have a catastrophic failure would my insurance have covered it since I hit something causing the engine to fail... I did find small pieces of wood in the starboard thermostat... I'm pretty sure Mercury would've denied a warranty claim, right??? But what about insurance???...

I wish Mercury could come up with a better mouse trap because the last two lower units have been a magnet for small debris. I've cleaned out more thermostats in the last 5 years than I've done in the last 30+ years... Dan

That would depend on you insurance .. .
    I had a claim paid because of a small pebble the mechanic found still in the T-stat..
    they cancelled me soon after..

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Hypothetically, you would need a well qualified technician that inspected the engine, documented the "Black and White" Run History/Freeze Frame History, and utilized photographs or video to document the debris found, as well as any damage caused by it.

This hypothetical scenario has been a reality more than once... that I've personally witnessed and handled.

And you are correct- Warranty covers DEFECTS in materials or workmanship. Foreign debris in the cooling system is not covered.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I had a claim go through for a similar scenario and a helpful explanation of the cascade of issues caused by it from Don. In the end, it all came down to the fact that I took a tonne of pictures as we disassembled the engine, cataloging everything we saw and a small piece of debris from my strike was clearly visible in the 'stat. With the information I had, the scenario as it unfolded and my picture evidence, my claim was approved and there has been no repercussions from that 5 years later. Thanks to my dealer, my cheque was able to get me a new engine versus a rebuild of my old one.

In my opinion though, I think it helped too that I do not claim everything that happens, especially lower units, unless there was a lot of other issues pertaining to it, I just lump it and repair myself out of pocket. I save the insurance for the expensive and "do or die" situations, even with my vehicles. I never claim a windshield or tiny fender bender, rather not the headache over a more minor issue.