Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DonnieG View Post
    Roy, I wish you could have seen my Garmin with Panoptix when I had it...Go & look at some of LWinchester's images which are the best I have seen. Look real close before you jump and make sure this is what you want for our type of fishing even if HB comes out with the same type.....
    Don, I've looked at all the videos of the Livescope that I can find including those by LWinchester. So far most of what I've seen is not for me, hard for me to make much sense out of what I'm seeing as compared to the video images from their comericals. Now if I was fishing for tarpon or fish the size of humans maybe I could make sense of what I'm seeing, lol I'm sure HB will come out with something new before too long, have to if they want to stay competitive. I hope it's not too good, I've spent too much $$$$ already.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief Brody View Post
    So you say you want a HB version of Panoptix, huh?

Don't be surprised that, if you do get it, you spend more time staring at the screen instead of actually fishing
    Or totally frustrated those little (%(^&$ fish won't hit anything :-)

3. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Royt View Post
    Don, I've looked at all the videos of the Livescope that I can find including those by LWinchester. So far most of what I've seen is not for me, hard for me to make much sense out of what I'm seeing as compared to the video images from their comericals. Now if I was fishing for tarpon or fish the size of humans maybe I could make sense of what I'm seeing, lol I'm sure HB will come out with something new before too long, have to if they want to stay competitive. I hope it's not too good, I've spent too much $$$$ already.
    it's actually very easy to make sense of what you are seeing. It's like a live version of DI.

4. Member
    please tell me how I can buy a new humminbird and the newer minn kota without adding a divorce to the mix ?

5. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by muskyman73 View Post
    please tell me how I can buy a new humminbird and the newer minn kota without adding a divorce to the mix ?
    I personally do side contracting for fun money. My wife does the same thing.

I could retire BUT then the fin money would become income and I'm not sure that would work with all these new toys coming out :-)

6. Member
    I emailed HB today and asked this question after fishing with a friend this weekend that has the Panoptix. If HB is coming out with anything, they are tight lipped about it. The rep that emailed me back said they are not aware of anything coming

7. Member
    I don't get how this type of "live" technology remains beneficial on a TM with spot lock unless you're only using down imaging. I've seen videos where the guy is switching his spot lock on/off and then manually turning the TM to look a brush pile 25 yards out.

Shallow water and having poles/talons to hold your position ok. But water more than 15 ft and wind, it would appear having the live transducer mounted on a seperate shaft like a 360 is needed to constantly watch your target. Maybe the future will bring a live transducer mounted to a rotating shaft that also has spot lock is the answer then?

I'm intrigued with the new live technology just have to figure out if it's for me and if I can afford it.

8. Member
    I would be more interested in a reduced clutter/improved accuracy 2D/DI/SI sonar vs anything related to a "Live View" type of technology...
    2013 Skeeter MX1825 with Yammy F150 & Garmin Ultra 106sv & LVS34 Livescope

"My hotfoot pedal goes to 11"

Not a Garmin add here but showing how useful it is and that I hope HB is looking in to adding it.

I have the original basic Panoptix with a stand alone Garmin head unit next to my Helix. Deadly combo especially for schooling fish. Works fine on a standard cable MK.

This is with my old Raymarine. Turn TM till you find school Up to 75' or so). Drive over them or cast to them. If you dont have Spotlock (like me) you catch a fish and lose the school. Easy to find them again fast.

See a brushpile and easy to find it and stay on it.

Also exc for finding humps, ditches and creek channels
    Last edited by MonteSS; 11-06-2018 at 09:56 AM.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Kboater View Post
    I don't get how this type of "live" technology remains beneficial on a TM with spot lock unless you're only using down imaging. I've seen videos where the guy is switching his spot lock on/off and then manually turning the TM to look a brush pile 25 yards out.

Shallow water and having poles/talons to hold your position ok. But water more than 15 ft and wind, it would appear having the live transducer mounted on a seperate shaft like a 360 is needed to constantly watch your target. Maybe the future will bring a live transducer mounted to a rotating shaft that also has spot lock is the answer then?

I'm intrigued with the new live technology just have to figure out if it's for me and if I can afford it.
    completely agree
    Nitro z21

Quote Originally Posted by jasonG View Post
    completely agree
    Some use that technology on a manually turned pole instead of on the trolling motor so steering and searching are separate.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Member
    ^ thats how mine’s set up

I keep it out of the water while scanning with sideview, then deploy over something interesting looking to look for fish on the structure.

Very effective. except like i said earlier: all that screen watching eats up time.

13. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I think there's a reason NADA is listed about any G3N's with any of them having a 360 icon in the feature set shown....
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

14. Member
    Navico or garmin developed the live view technology

15. Member
    Garmin doesn’t own the technology either

16. Member
    Garmin bought the rights to use the technology from another company that’s why Navico had to wait so long to acquire it from the same company and they got the first edition and now getting the 2nd edition and garmin will be getting the 3 rd edition it’s exactly the same technology being bought from the same 3rd party company

17. Member
    I personally agree with skeetzx25.

Get me something that will make my Gen 3 units work correctly. I want a picture like Ott Defoe gets.

When Mega Live hits the street, I'm not sure I'll reach for my credit card unless I have a unit that works right before I spend another $1,500 or whatever it will cost.

18. Member
    I think I'll wait until it gets the Wayne seal of approval!

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ View Post
    Garmin bought the rights to use the technology from another company that’s why Navico had to wait so long to acquire it from the same company and they got the first edition and now getting the 2nd edition and garmin will be getting the 3 rd edition it’s exactly the same technology being bought from the same 3rd party company
    Where did you get this information?

The accounts on the web seem to paint a different picture. Many believe Garmin inherited the patents when they bought the company, Interphase in 2012. That was also when Garmin hired 6 of Lowrance's staff of 15 engineers and appears to mark Garmin's investment to develop and market Panoptix, announced in 2015. Parallelling this were all the patent lawsuits that often went against Garmin on first hearing, then later reversed in total or part on appeal. This seemed to come to a head in a Texas trial where Navico was awarded $38M in 2017. Garmin announced an appeal and the appeal was to be heard by the same federal judge that had previously ruled in Garmin's favor. Next thing we know in 2018 is Navico and Garmin both announce all is settled in a patent sharing deal which included "broad cross-licensing of patents and other intellectual property". That fact and the amazing similarities in appearance and function of the Lowance and Garmin products fuels the speculation as to where Lowrance came by this. Going on appearances alone of the Humminbird product to be released, it appears Humminbird made some sort of deal with the company making the Oculus sonar products.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

Now you’ve done it!

You got LWINCHESTER to post in the humminbird forum

Holy………

"The handicapped angler"

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast