Thread: Eating Crappie

Eating Crappie

No bad way to fix em but last night we baked them. Put them in a lipped baking pan and poured melted butter over them then sprinkled Cajun seasoning over them. Into the oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Pulled them out and splashed lemon juice on them. Cole slaw and french fries finished em out. Gonna go again tomorrow and get some more for eatin!! Really good stuff, what's your favorite way to fix em? There is no wrong way i think!!

2. Member
    My favorite way is fried. Run them through and egg wash, then through Zatarain's or Louisiana New Orleans style breading mix and dunk into some 350 degree peanut oil until golden brown and delicious . I will bake them on occasion too. Lay them flat in a pyrex dish sprayed with nonstick spray, drizzle scampi sauce over them (I buy it in a bottle, I think it's McCormick brand if memory serves), sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on top and bake at 400 for about 15-17 mins. I've also blackened them a few times and then used the meat to make fish tacos. Let's hear some other recipes, I need to try some new things.

3. T Dub
    I developed a reaction to fish several years ago and can’t eat them anymore But I still cook them for the family. Rinsed fillets seasoned heavily in blackening seasoning tossed in yellow corn meal and fried in oil in a cast iron skillet

4. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    Im going to smoke some soon!

Newest way I have tried them is making crappie cakes. Just replace crab with crappie.
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Cedar Plank Crappie is as good as it gets

Soak your plank in water for an hour or more.
    Coat the plank in butter and lay a few filet's per person across the board.
    Lightly coat the fish in Olive Oil and sprinkle your favorite seasoning, I like Mrs. Dash and a little Old Bay.
    Put on the grill at 325-350 and set a timer for 6 minutes.
    Rotate the planks 90 degrees and set the next time for 6 minutes.
    Trade planks on the grill left to right and right to left and lay several canned asparagus spears across the fish... and set time for 6 minutes.
    Rotate the planks 90 degrees and coat them with grated Parmesan Cheese... set timer for 6 minutes.

Remove and rest for 2-3 minutes then devour

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by T Dub View Post
    I developed a reaction to fish several years ago and can’t eat them anymore But I still cook them for the family. Rinsed fillets seasoned heavily in blackening seasoning tossed in yellow corn meal and fried in oil in a cast iron skillet
    Yum yum!

8. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    I fry mine most of the time. I whisk 2 eggs and half a can of beer together. Mix 2 parts yellow cornmeal and 1 part flour. dip fish in egg/beer and roll in cornmeal/flour mix. heat oil to 360 (it drops to 350 when fish are dropped in) and fry till golden. For my wife, I spray each fillet with spray butter, salt, pepper and fry in a cast iron skillet flipping once.

Dale Sinclair original

9. Banned
    Deep frying some with Zatarans breading right now

10. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slonezp View Post
    Deep frying some with Zatarans breading right now
    The wind is blowing from the north here and I thought I got a big wiff of crappie frying.. Wait a minute, I'm frying some myself..

Dale Sinclair original