Jaguar or Lynx....?

I’m looking to get some unbiased feedback and options from your guys. I’m coming out of a Legend V-20 which was an awesome boat but I sold it to recently to fund my 8 month road trip I’m on with the family. I’m going to be getting a new boat next summer and I think I have narrowed it down to BassCat, and probably these two models. I’ve been in or owned many other brands but this will be my first BassCat and have not had a chance to ride in any newer ones. I’ve got a little priority list of things that are important to me personally. Let me know what you think. Thank you for your input. Let me know if there is anything I’ve forgotten good or bad.

•Rough Water Ride

•Durability(things not falling apart)

•Front Deck Stability with 2 people

•Storage and Layout

•Speed and Handeling

•Tracking when on the trolling motor

2. Member
    I'm sure there will someone along soon to give some input.
    FYI, BCB is redesigning the Jag. I have no idea when this will be completed and ready for production. Its something you should be aware of.
    From my understanding the new Jag will be close to 22 feet.
    2016 BassCat Pantera II
    Mercury 200 ProXs

3. Member
    durability NEVER an issue on a CAT!!!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

I run a Jag. Rough water ride is the best in the fleet. All BCB are durable. Front deck stability is a non issue. Storage is massive in both boats, layout is personal preference. 350 verado upper 75-77 loaded. Handling is amazing for such a big boat. Tracking on the troller is amazing again for such a big boat. Additionally, I am always amazed how shallow it will fish. I like the lynx but would not sell my Jag for that hull. Now for the new 22 being designed

5. Member
    I think it comes down to your personal preference on the layout. Both are top quality and will serve you well for many years.

Love my Lynx!
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

6. Member
    What kind of speeds do you guys think both models would get with a new Mercury 250?

7. Member
    They are both big boats, especially the Jaguar. I'm sorry I don't have any numbers for a Jaguar but I'm thinking it would be best with at least a 300.

I don't fish a lot of organized tournaments so I went with the 300 on my Lynx. It will run 72-73 all day with two "beefy" men and full tournament load. 75-76 by myself. Easy cruise is 65.
    2018 BassCat Lynx
    Mercury 300R

Beautiful Grand Lake
    Grove Oklahoma

8. Member
    Craig.... I traded my V 20 in for a Lynx. With the motor back order, I probably won't have the boat until February / March. I heard the Lynx will run mid 70's pretty easy with the new Mercury. I'll provide some numbers for everyone after I take delivery.

9. Member
    I have a 2017 Jaguar/350 Verado and LOVE the boat. I run very lite and have an Ultrex up from which am sure robs some speed. Best I have run is 79.5 mph at 1200-1300 ft of elevation with a 4-blade 26" Bravo FS, but am all over the rev-limiter. I am ordering a 26" Fury 3 blade that will be reworked by Ronnie Gilbert. I like the layout of my Jaguar. I sat in the new Lynx at the 2017 Classic and that layout might take some getting used to for me. Keep in mind I don't like change in general. I like my net scabbard over the Lynx. The Lynx you have to open a larger compartment to get to it(not a big deal though). One thing I don't like about my Jaguar is the bump on the lid that is the spare trolling motor compartment. I asked Rick if I could have a flat lid made when I ordered the boat and he said not at that time. I am used to it now and doesn't bother me, but always worried my passenger may trip on it. Wondering if that is going away for the retooling of the Jag ??

I also would suggest a minimum of 300 hp on either boat. This 350 does not seem overpowered at all, both are big boats !!!

Bass Cat is the best company anyone could wish for in trying to make the best boat they can and taking care of their customers. This is undoubtedly a result of Rick Pierce and his leadership. You will not regret entering into the "Family" !!!

Good luck Craig !!! Bill

I've got a 250 SHO powered Lynx, I get mid 70s at sea level and 73 or so at 2400 feet altitude. The Lynx is a big boat, not as big as the Jag, but it keeps a good tournament loaded speed with a 250. It is fast to respond to the trolling motor and I have grown to love the storage setup. If you're fishing tournaments where you can't go over 250hp, I would go with the Lynx vs. the Jaguar

Sounds like you are limited to a 250 HP due to fishing tournaments that have restrictions. If so, I think the Lynx would be the better of the two from a top end speed perspective. The Jag is a HUGE boat, but like all BassCats, it will run and handle. Quality and durability are not something to be concerned about on a BassCat, regardless of model. You'll never go back...

Of course, there's a caveat...and that is what the new design is going to be and if BCB does some tweaking to the hull so it will run faster with a 250...you never know.
    BassCat '17 Sabre DC FTD Advantage Elite
    175 Yamaha SHO
    MK Fortrex 80

12. Member
    Thanks for the information guys! I am really curious to see what they do with the new Jaguar in the future. However, I am leaning towards the Lynx. I can’t wait to take a ride in one. I need to find a dealer with a demo somewhere between Tennessee and Florida in the next couple months. My family and I are in the midst of a RV trip around the country until May. Once I get home it’s time to start picking out colors and place an order. Let me know if anyone else is in one and runs into some rough water and let me know the results. Thanks!

The decision on a Lynx or Jaguar has a few thoughts you need decisions on.

1.> What horsepower and engine brand are you leaning to?

2.> What are your thoughts on preparing for the season, ASAP this spring or just so you get what you are best suited with?

3.> Last here is the size question and how long you intend to keep a rig. That is where Best affordability for your uses comes in, not your budget obviously though what affordably fits your needs best.
    Last edited by Bass Cat Boats; 11-06-2018 at 07:36 AM.