Vinyl or Carpet - Pros and Cons

So, in my search for a boat, I've had dealers telling me people are preferring the vinyl over carpet.

What are your likes and dislikes of either? Would you change your mind if you were to buy another boat?

Thanks
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

2. Banned
    vinyl:

*compartments have more of a tendency to leak
    *more boat noise
    *boat rash on reels/rods
    *slippery when wet

I'll take carpeted, unless I was a 100% saltwater guy, then it would be vinyl
    Last edited by PolarKraft195; 10-30-2018 at 05:39 PM.

3. Member
    I intentionally bought the RT with Rangers “Rawhide” interior this time. I didn’t want carpet again. It’s noisier in rough water & I need to remember to stow my reels so they don’t get rash when moving from spot to spot on the deck. IMO Everything else is a plus. I fished nasty matted grass this weekend. Normally I’d have to go clean the boat with carpet. A quick wipe down after a shower, not to mention I pulled it three hours in the rain and launched in a muddy area and it was still good for the return trip home in a few minutes.

I switched from the big glitter sled because I wanted simple.

4. Banned
    Personal preference really. I like carpet, but I have to say the tin boats I had in the past, tracker and crestliner used cheap lower grade carpet that looked like crap after a few years (and I took very good care of it). For some reason most of the tin manufacturers use the lower grade carpet like Lund and even ranger aluminum line. The carpet in the fiberglass line is way nicer and plusher. Looks good and lasts longer. Just my observations.

5. Member
    This is my first boat ever with vinyl. Fish blood cleans up easily. Spill your coffee, just wipe it up. No more vacuuming the carpet, the wind blows the dirt and sand out as you trailer home. I think it always looks newer and cleaner. Carpet is easier on your knees when kneeling down. Haven’t had it out in the rain, so I can’t comment on the dry or wet compartments.

Quote Originally Posted by jtracc View Post
    Personal preference really. I like carpet, but I have to say the tin boats I had in the past, tracker and crestliner used cheap lower grade carpet that looked like crap after a few years (and I took very good care of it). For some reason most of the tin manufacturers use the lower grade carpet like Lund and even ranger aluminum line. The carpet in the fiberglass line is way nicer and plusher. Looks good and lasts longer. Just my observations.
    +1!! My RT188 is 5 years old and the carpet is discolored like it was left out in the desert. I had my last Basscat for 15 years and the carpet looked new when I sold it.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

7. Member
    Vinyl. I have two tinnys. One has vinyl I installed myself. The other carpet. Any lures or fish with lures that get near the carpet are stuck immediately. It takes a pair of pliers and two hands to remove them.

I'll have vinyl in both boats soon.

8. Member
    I'd like carpet, but often launch from muddy slipways and the dogs charge around whenever let out for a comfort break, so They're always bringing mud into the boat. Carpet holds the mud and takes time to dry, so I went with vinyl. No regrets.

9. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    +1!! My RT188 is 5 years old and the carpet is discolored like it was left out in the desert. I had my last Basscat for 15 years and the carpet looked new when I sold it.
    basscat uses the best carpet at 24oz I think. My ranger glass has 20 I think it is and holds up great. My crestliner had like 12 or 15 oz and was junk. I'd complain to ranger maybe they can cover the cost for new carpet and you can upgrade to ranger glass carpet.

10. Banned
    basscat uses the best carpet at 24oz I think. My ranger glass has 20 I think it is and holds up great. My crestliner had like 12 or 15 oz and was junk. I'd complain to ranger maybe they can cover the cost for new carpet and you can upgrade to ranger glass carpet.
    Basscat does use some nice carpet. My puma had some thick stuff! My PolarKraft has 20oz, and is nice

Quote Originally Posted by OhioChamp183 View Post
    vinyl:

*compartments have more of a tendency to leak
    *more boat noise
    *boat rash on reels/rods
    *slippery when wet

I'll take carpeted, unless I was a 100% saltwater guy, then it would be vinyl
    This is the way I feel about it too for the same reasons. One thing I would add is that the vinyl is hotter on bare feet in the hot Florida sun. I have a couple of buddies in Florida with center console vinyl floored boats and I have been in them quite a bit. I can fish barefooted on carpet but can't on vinyl if the sun is out big-time. I also have fallen down in them in the rain and slipped off one in the parking lot. The vinyl just doesn't have the traction carpet has. When you get older, this is something you think about when stepping up and down from the deck or stepping off the boat to asphalt.

They both have pros and cons, but my buds in Florida would not have vinyl except that the boats are used in salt water too. They are a lot easier to clean though.

Different folks prioritize their wants differently. That's why they have an option list. I have thought about vinyl or the rawhide and it does have benefits, but after falling a couple of times last winter I decided to keep carpet.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

12. Member
    I still think a spray in finish with carpet “rugs” that could fasten down somehow would be the way to go.

13. Member
    I have vinyl, for some reasons stated above. Dries quick also. Stays looking nicer longer. Recently spilled jj's Magic on it, wiped right off.
    I haven't noticed it being slick when wet.
    If your compartments are leaking, with vinyl or carpet, it's other problems.
    It's not as nice to stand on all day, as compared to carpet. I put down two of these, https://www.menards.com/main/floorin...8420596395.htm , helped alot.
    I think the ultimate would be a spray on textured liner. Then you never have to worry about it fading, glue coming loose, etc.

14. Member
    If I were to go vinyl, it would be LineX.
    2015 Ranger RT188 DC; BassCat Storage Box; Mercury Optimax 115ProXS;
    19" Spitfire X7; Vessel View Mobile; Minn Kota Ultrex 80; GForce Handle;
    TM Eliminator; Helix 7 G2N SI Combo F/R; HydroWave KVD; BBT 4" Angled Bow Mount; Durasafe Locks for Electronics and Ultrex;
    Twist Step Boarding Ladder; EZEE Step ES1; BAC RAC Rod Storage; Motor Mate Transom Saver

15. Member
    Line X is a paint-on. I think the OP was asking about sheet vinyl. I got mine at Defender Industries.
    https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=23740

Installed BassCat carpet in my 363v 6yrs ago, very good carpet.
    Putting Ranger 24oz in my 520vx currently.
    Ranger switched to 24oz years ago as per Ranger when I ordered.
    2000 Ranger 520DVX 225hpdi

My Tracker had 16oz. It was ok except the color. On the rebuild I put 20oz in. Huge difference! Feel more like my glass boats I had. While my boat was dry docked. I fished a lot out of my son-in-laws basscat, and a 1650 aluminum boat. The cat had some great carpet in it, and the 1650 had a aftermarket spray lining. I like both, but I did put the plush carpet in my boat.

Have an adventure everyday !
    2006 PT 175 TX 60 HP.

18. Ya, I Live on Rainy Lake! basscla's Avatar
    My ProV has carpet on both decks and vinyl on the main floor. Gives a nice look and functional