250 Pro XS fly wheel slight wobble at idle

I recently rebuilt the engine and during the disassembly phase, the fly wheel was difficult to remove. After several days of applied pressure, heat and lubricant, the flywheel still would not budge. I took it to the machine shop and the machinist utilized a custom made fixture and was able to remove the flywheel. Now the engine is completed, I was able to crank it and begin the break in process. I noticed a wobble in the fly wheel at idle. The engine idles and runs great with no miss fire or noticeable vibrations. I was able to put a dial indicator on the tapered end of the crankshaft and it runs true when inspecting the crankshaft. I believe it is the flange ring that is slightly bent. The starter engages fine and the crank sensor seems to be picking up the reluctor ring with no misfires. Just wonder if this is something to be concerned about or should I replace the flywheel. I don’t remember what it was like before. Hoping maybe Don could weigh in and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2007 Mercury Pro XS 250
    Serial # 1B492182
    Blazer 202 Pro V

2. Member
    I would replace the flywheel. The last thing you want is for it to come apart at 6000 RPM!

3. Member
    Its always better to be safe than sorry. I know it seams like a no brainer, but a new flywheel is like $600. Used ones on ebay are like $150. I will look into it and air on the safe side. I have a couple buddies with opti's and I can look at theirs for comparison. Thanks for the reply.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I agree- replace the flywheel. Sounds like someone utilized a non-standard puller type, which the flywheel's ring gear will not withstand.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Update: Replaced flywheel and no more wobble... $120 used on eBay.

6. Member
    Perfect!!!!

Good job!!
    "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."