Hydrilla--Thanks to the people!!

Specifically, a Florida west coast aquarium dealer shipped live Hydrilla from Sri Lanka under the common name "Indian star-vine."[11] After these plants were considered unsatisfactory, they were dumped into a canal near Tampa Bay, where they flourished.[11] By 1955, the plants found their way from Tampa to Miami as they were transported for cultivation and pet trade sale.[11] It is believed that several undocumented cases of accidental or careless releases followed, as there was extensive spread of the Hydrilla throughout Florida and the southeastern U.S
    As an invasive species in Florida, Hydrilla has become the most serious aquatic weed problem for Florida and most of the U.S. Because it was such a threat as an invasive species, restrictions were placed to allow only a single type of chemical, fluridone, to be used as a herbicide. This was done to prevent the evolution of multiple mutants, and resulted in fluridone resistant Hydrilla. “As Hydrilla spread rapidly to lakes across the southern United States in the past, the expansion of resistant biotypes is likely to pose significant environmental challenges in the future.”[12]
    Hydrilla populations have caused economic, environmental, and ecological damage.[10] Hydrilla is known to be an aggressive and competitive plant, even out-competing and displacing native species, such as pondweedsand eelgrass.[11][13][14] Due to its competitive nature, Hydrilla has created monocultures, an area dominated by a singular species, rather than having a balance among many species, like in a normal ecosystem.[14]
    In Australia, Hydrilla can become invasive if the nutrient levels are raised in disturbed ecosystems, though is not generally known to be problematic.

Can we get some people to dump some in Okeechobee?.....

3. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Dump a few loads in the St. Johns while yer at it!! Just start down in Melbourne and work your way north!

4. Member
    So I should start harvesting when I see it and place it around after they spray. And that damn Kissimme grass that want to keep in check as well.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

5. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PASCOFISHBOY View Post
    So I should start harvesting when I see it and place it around after they spray. And that damn Kissimme grass that want to keep in check as well.
    Seems silly and is illegal, but if someone should happen to put up some instructions on how to properly harvest and preserve it, someone might be inclined to do just that! Not me of course, or you.. But someone!

6. Member
    aren't we invasive species?
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

7. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    So it was dumped in the barge canal to “see what would happen” and it spread throughout the water ecosystem of Florida....that is one thing they have said I could agree with. And us fisherman/boaters must’ve brought it north on our boats and trailers since water moves north to south, except for a few places like Jacksonville so we don’t get what Georgia throws in the river .
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    aren't we invasive species?

I do miss pitching hydrilla.

9. Banned
    Aqua Farming seems to be "doable" I saw a documentary where they farmed Kelp in Conn. that sold to the sushi restaurants in NY

http://gulfseafoodnews.com/2018/02/0...e-gulf-mexico/

10. Gar & Mudfish expert! :/ Mickstix's Avatar
    I'd imagine a basic minnow bucket/pump or even a shallow filled livewell would do a more than adequate job of transporting some fresh veggies from here to there? They say weeds just sticking to trailer rails, bunks etc. is how it's transferred to begin with? Don't let me back into a hydrilla/hyacinth matted ramp again.. At the very least, I'll do my best to wait till Im back in the St. Johns to "wash her off"... Let's make it a movement! #revegetate

Quote Originally Posted by LewStulePH.D. View Post
    Aqua Farming seems to be "doable" I saw a documentary where they farmed Kelp in Conn. that sold to the sushi restaurants in NY

http://gulfseafoodnews.com/2018/02/0...e-gulf-mexico/
    I saw that same documentary. Big money in that, and they were trying to market the business opportunity.

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickstix View Post
    I'd imagine a basic minnow bucket/pump or even a shallow filled livewell would do a more than adequate job of transporting some fresh veggies from here to there? They say weeds just sticking to trailer rails, bunks etc. is how it's transferred to begin with? Don't let me back into a hydrilla/hyacinth matted ramp again.. At the very least, I'll do my best to wait till Im back in the St. Johns to "wash her off"... Let's make it a movement! #revegetate
    im with you.

Rick Someillan
    Lacoochee, Florida
    2016 21 TRX
    250 Pro XS

13. Banned
    I will be dead and would've already had My Hindu funeral and been dust again when "They" find out that the poison they're spraying is just some RoundUp™ that "They" got on special because Bayer™ nee:Monsanto™ had to offload due to the FACT that all it is is sprayable CANCER.
    (Kinda like Katie Hepburn not writing an autobiography whilst Mr. Tracy's widow was still 'in-body')

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I did think about you Lew the first 10 times the RoundUp class action commercial came on!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Wishin' I was fishin'...

1990 Ranger 374v
    1996 175 HP Mariner - Magnum EFI
    25p Tempest - A45 model
    80 lb 24v MinnKota Maxxum
    Humminbird Helix 10
    Humminbird Helix 7
    Garmin EchoMap 106sv w/ LS
    Dual 8' Power Poles

16. Member
    What would happen if you loaded up the back of your truck from a retention pond and dumped it in Rodman? Asking for a friend.
    Stroker / 250xs
    Triton 180 / 175 pro xs

Quote Originally Posted by MARK R View Post
    What would happen if you loaded up the back of your truck from a retention pond and dumped it in Rodman? Asking for a friend.
    My friend has been known to fill up his livewells with hydrilla