Question Low oil warning in G2, engine stays in safe mode!

In a tournament this weekend, my 2018 250 HO G2 showed a low oil alarm, Code 117 fault, upon launch and stayed in safe mode all day. The oil reservoir was filled right away, but the code persisted and the engine would not rev beyond 1100 rpms. I fished around the ramp and motored to various spots at idle until weighin. When I went to trailer the boat at the end of the tournament, no alarm went off and the motor ran fine. Somehow I knew that would happen!!

I am taking it in to check for any issues before using again. The previous owner said he had no problems like that or in previous G2’s he owned. This is my first G2 since the disaster Rude Ram I had on a previous Ranger and so far I like everything about this one until now. The dealer I am taking to said it may have gotten air in the line and had to dissipate. The day before this happened I ran 30 miles round trip with no problems or warnings that the oil was low.

Has anyone had similar problems where the safe mode persisted after refilling the oil reservoir? I was very fortunate it didn’t happen far from the ramp, and am concerned this could happen again. Hopefully the dealer will find something, but good and bad the error message is off now.

Any help is appreciated!

2. Member
    I would have it checked out by your dealer. Better safe than sorry.

3. Member
    I am. I just wondered if anyone else had this experience.

I’ve had the low oil alarm go off when tilting the motor if the oil reservoir is about 50%. I wonder if it triggers the code if you try to turn the ignition while the alarm is active?
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

5. Member
    Maybe it does, but that is a poor design and could leave you stranded. I haven’t received a manual yet for it and don’t know if it mentions that or how to override the code. The oil tank registered 100% on the 3.5 monitor too after filling.

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Critical LOW OIL detected
    X Internal sensor
    X SAFE Mode
    Oil
    No Oil
    immediate
    EMM counts 20,000 oil pump pulses after LOW OIL switch closes. Engine limited to 1200 RPM. Stop outboard and add oil to tank. Warning resets after three oil pump pulses.

It may be nothing or may just need a MAP upgrade. You should have gotten your Owners manual when you took delivery of the motor. Or as your dealer suggest just an air bubble in the line.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input!
    I just received the manual this afternoon. It mentions Low and No Oil Warning and said after adding oil you can go to winterize mode and repeat 2X to prime if the NO OIL is shown. My only warning was the Low Oil EMM Code 117, is this the same as the NO OIL alarm? Adding oil did not correct the problem until on its own it decided to run 8 hours later! Hopefully there is some update that needs to be done as it would be ridiculous for this to keep happening.

8. Member
    To follow up on my post, especially if this happens to someone else, I had this reply from a Facebook post on the Evinrude owners group. The oil level sensor, which runs the entire depth of the tank, was interfering with the low oil sensor. To correct the problem, the oil reservoir had to be drained and the oil level sensor had to be reseated. There is a small rubber grommet at the end of the sensor that fits into a fitting in the tank. In this case it wasn’t seated properly and pressed on the low oil sensor which caused the motor to think no oil when the tank was full. There were several replies experiencing the same issue. One was resolved with tilting the engine all the way up, letting it sit, and then back down and restart, another with powering everything off and then back up and restarting. Neither helped in my case. I will mention these when I take it in in 2 weeks.
    I hope this helps with others experiencing this problem.

9. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Remember, No oil means just that. No oil to the oil pump. Low oil is the level in the tank.

10. Member
    A tell tale symptom of a "stuck" low oil switch is the oil level will indicate 11% on the ICON gauge. So if you add oil and the level indicated stays at 11% then the switch may be stuck.

11. Member
    Oil level read 100% after filled, engine would still not reset.

12. Member
    I never had a NO OIL warning just LOW OIL, EMM Code 117.

13. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Spook View Post
    I never had a NO OIL warning just LOW OIL, EMM Code 117.
    Didn't say you did but you did ask if the NO OIL was the same as Low oil in post #7. Hopefully the dealer checks it out and it was a one time thing.

14. Member
    I found out from another owner there was a service bulletin issued concerning the grommet at the bottom of the oil reservoir tank. I will tell my dealer. I hope this doesn’t happen to someone else as you better look for a tow if your a good distance from the ramp.

15. Member
    Apparently there is a service bulletin concerning this problem, listing the grommet as not being seated properly. Hopefully it is covered under warranty.

Bulletin 2016-12(S) pertains to the grommet hanging up on the float switch. Make sure the trim limit calibration is performed also.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !

17. Member
    Thanks Seahorse! I will let my mechanic know.