Thread: Soon ?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Soon ?

1 The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,2 who testifies to everything he saw—that is, the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.3 Blessed is the one who reads aloud the words of this prophecy, and blessed are those who hear it and take to heart what is written in it, because the time is near.

There seems to be a lot of good fishermen here on BBC that know a lot about interpretation, Hermeneutics, Parsing Greek, inerrancy, Christian Orthodoxy ect. For those who are apart of this group I have highlighted a few words from the Prologue of the Book of Revelation.

1. Please define the word "Prologue"

2. Please define the orthodox definition of the word "revelation"

3. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "soon" in the N.T. How many times was it used by the N.T. writers ? What is the nature of its usage for each time it is found in the N.T. ?

4. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "near" in the N.T. What is the nature of its usage each time it is found in the N.T. ?

5. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "Time" in the N.T. How many times is it used ? What is the nature of its usage each time it used ?

Notice in vs. 1 ….... the usage of the phrase " what must " soon take place. If something "must" soon take place, it cant mean it "might".

If this forum is for "Increasin Our Faith"...………….and I think it is...………………………….Please do your due diligence in sharing your findings to the few questions I asked.

thanks for reading , look forward to reading your findings..…………………..it is a wonderful study
    Last edited by godsdozer; 10-30-2018 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks for some thought provoking questions. I haven't got thru all of your questions but so far ...

"revelation simply means a revealing of something or someone. It is to reveal what was before hidden. It’s like opening a curtain or a door and seeing what is behind it. "

Interesting read regarding the Orthodox Church's views of revelation. (not necessarily the orthodox definition of revelation") Keep in mind the Catholic/Orthodox (east/west) split of the church happened in the 11th century, almost 500 years prior to the reformation of the western church

https://oca.org/questions/scripture/book-of-revelation
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

3. Member
    Perhaps a wordsmith can help me verbalize 2 Peter 3: 8-9 where the phrase " With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like a day".

Since God is the creator of time, a short period of time and a long period of time may as well be the same. He is eternal and not constrained by our perception of time.

Psalm 90:4 For a thousand years in Your sight are like yesterday when it is past, and like a watch in the night.

This would compare a long period of time with a short period of time as we see it. The part " in Your sight " would indicate God is once again not constrained by our perception.

When I get to heaven I will understand and if you ( Gods Dozer) get there first you can ask Him.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Thanks for some thought provoking questions. I haven't got thru all of your questions but so far ...

"revelation simply means a revealing of something or someone. It is to reveal what was before hidden. It’s like opening a curtain or a door and seeing what is behind it. "

Interesting read regarding the Orthodox Church's views of revelation. (not necessarily the orthodox definition of revelation") Keep in mind the Catholic/Orthodox (east/west) split of the church happened in the 11th century, almost 500 years prior to the reformation of the western church

https://oca.org/questions/scripture/book-of-revelation
    SD, I appreciate your comments on question #2...…………….. I think I agree with the definition so far. The Revelation that was written by John on the isle of Patmos during his journey of exile by the Roman government was about a man, not an event, not a situation, n ot something that was to be hidden thousands of years later, but a man- the God man , Jesus the Christ. Fully God, yet fully man, the one and only theanphoropost. Please see Merriam dictionary. whatever revelation about Jesus which the apostle John was to write, was to happen "soon" and the "time, was near"

5. Member
    SD, my screen name is not capitalized...…… its godsdozer………………………..was suggested to me over 20 years ago by a pastor when the internet was new. I own a bulldozer company (godsdozer) and was suggested by my former pastor to use that "screen name " since that time...…………………………….no need to separate my screen unless you feel the need to do so. I do not deserve the Grace God has given me no more than anyone else on this forum.

6. Member
    Holeshot, thanks for your obvservation. Pleaese read closely what 2 Peter is saying. You have to understnd that 2 peter was written decades AFTER Jesus our Lord had accended. If you do not understand biblicall chronlogogy , we will allways have descrepancies.

7. Member
    SD. I apologize....................about the Gods Dozer.................I think the clearing up of muddy waters was meant for Holeshot.

8. Member
    Holeshot, I am not familiar with the word "wordsmith" ? is that a term used in "Orthodoxy" ? Please cite a source if it is. Thank you for your input.

9. Member
    Wordsmith refers to someone who has a better command of the English language than most and able to write and articulate their thoughts very well. Somewhat like a blacksmith making horse shoes compared to an amateur.

Almost everyone would be considered a wordsmith compared to me.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Holeshot View Post
    Wordsmith refers to someone who has a better command of the English language than most and able to write and articulate their thoughts very well. Somewhat like a blacksmith making horse shoes compared to an amateur.

Almost everyone would be considered a wordsmith compared to me.
    That would apply to me as well Holeshot. :( Im the worst

11. Member
    Who gets to define terms and meanings? God does, he wrote it. Yes, 2nd Peter was written decades after Christ and Psalm 90 with the same thought was written 10 centuries before Christ. Its almost as if the same person wrote them both.--

Holeshot-- you are correct in citing both passages. You understand that God and Scripture stand outside of time. God invented time so that our small minds could grasp better what has been done for us and not go bonkers. We know Christ lived a perfect life for us, died on the cross for us, and was resurrected for us--about 2000 years ago.

"The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." Is 40:8
    Last edited by msethsmile; 10-31-2018 at 09:29 AM.

12. Member
    So, let me see if I understand this from yalls perspective.

1. Gods Word (the bible?) is everlasting, inerrant, authoritative ect.

2. God is not constrained by time, He is eternal/everlasting ect.

3. God created time not for himself but for us

Do those statements accurately reflect what you believe ?

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    So, let me see if I understand this from yalls perspective.

1. Gods Word (the bible?) is everlasting, inerrant, authoritative ect.

2. God is not constrained by time, He is eternal/everlasting ect.

3. God created time not for himself but for us

Do those statements accurately reflect what you believe ?
    I will be your huckleberry. Wayne (cajunbass) once posted that once you believe Genesis 1, the rest falls in line.

1 In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth.

We are God's creation. I believe in the statement 1 God's word (scripture contained in the Bible) is inerrant and everlasting. Scripture confirms statement 2 that God is eternal (alpha and omega).
    Again would need to study further on statement 3. Agree that time was created by God (Genesis 1:4)
    Last edited by sdbrison; 11-01-2018 at 06:56 AM.
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson

14. Member
    When the cannonballs are fired at Christianity, many times they aim for Genesis--the foundation of Scripture.

We (my fellowship) believe, teach, and confess:

1. Scripture is divinely inspired and therefore inerrant and infallible. Scripture IS God's Word. Scripture is the sole norm by which all doctrines are judged. (Formal Principle)*
    2. God stands outside of time. He invented time for man. He has the authority to suspend rules of nature (time, place, etc) and has seldom done so.

We reject, condemn, and deny:

1. Scripture is just another history book. Or has errors, Or constrained by time.
    2.Scripture "contains" God's Word (leaving man to decide/edit)

*That doesn't mean man's reason is denied or set aside. Reason is a wonderful servant and a terrible master in the spiritual realm. God blessed us with reason to help understand Scripture. Reason is subservient to Scripture. (as are traditions, emotions, experience)

"God save us from the madness of theologians." --Phillip Malanchthon (Author-more or less- of the Unaltered Augsburg Confession 1530
    Last edited by msethsmile; 11-01-2018 at 09:25 AM.

15. Member
    I appreciate you guys helping me grow in my knowledge of the scripture.

Reading and understanding the Bible is both a privilege and a responsibility.

The term " priesthood of the believer" indicates that we must diligently study the Bible in order to avoid false teachings. Seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit is my way of trying to understand what I read.

Attending weekly Bible Studies is another way.

May God continue to bless you all.

16. Member
    Ms, you wrote : "
    Who gets to define terms and meanings? God does, he wrote it. Yes, 2nd Peter was written decades after Christ and Psalm 90 with the same thought was written 10 centuries before Christ. Its almost as if the same person wrote them both.--"

I couldn't agree with you more. That is one reason why I posted this Thread.

If God inspired John to write these words
    "to show His servants
    what must soon take place
    ...…………………..
    because the time is near
    "
    (words have meanings and definitions...…………...that's how we communicate and God did create languages to communicate to His creation and for his creation to communicate with one another. It behooves us to "search the scriptures intently" to find out how the inspired writers used specific words and language in its context. That is the reason I posted the other questions and not one person has addressed them yet. They are not difficult, any Google search or something like Logos bible software can immediately pull up EVERY VERSE where the Greek words were used by the inspired writers. This isn't a trick. If scripture truly interprets scripture, look up the usage of those two words. God used them, I didn't.

17. Member
    I appreciate you guys helping me grow in my knowledge of the scripture.

Reading and understanding the Bible is both a privilege and a responsibility.

The term " priesthood of the believer" indicates that we must diligently study the Bible in order to avoid false teachings. Seeking the guidance of the Holy Spirit is my way of trying to understand what I read.

Attending weekly Bible Studies is another way.

May God continue to bless you all.

May God bless all of you too.

I do not worship the bible, I honor it, adore it, respect it ect. I have spent 40 years searching , studying attempting to understand it because it reveals the only one worthy of our worship......…...….Our Father, His Son and The Holy Spirit.

18. Member
    godsdozer you may not have been familiar with the term "wordsmith" but I can see you are one. You do a good job of articulating your thoughts.

We frequent this forum to as the title says " increasing our faith".

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend

19. Member
    godsdozer you may not have been familiar with the term "wordsmith" but I can see you are one. You do a good job of articulating your thoughts.

We frequent this forum to as the title says " increasing our faith".

Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend

Holeshot, I appreciate that...………………..yes, Iron shapens Iron. I just wished I would have been a better student in school and at University. My grammar, spelling and sentence structure sucks. Its actually embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    Holeshot, I appreciate that...………………..yes, Iron shapens Iron. I just wished I would have been a better student in school and at University. My grammar, spelling and sentence structure sucks. Its actually embarrassing.
    You are very humble brother. You make yourself clear (articulate) better than most including myself. And you back your points with scripture which is also impressive. Whether I or others agree with you doesn't make the fact you can do that any less true. Thank you for your input here.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast