Thread: Soon ?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Good discussion. This tidbit from one of the commentaries convicted me harshly "We are more interested in other pursuits than in seeking God through His revealed words of life (John John 6:63, John 6:68). As is often the case where Scripture is concerned, our inability to understand is more a reflection of our lack of zeal than the difficulty which attends the interpretation of God’s Word. When the average person in our country spends multiple hours in front of a television (or any screen now) daily, but “just can’t find the time” to read God’s Word, the issue is not one of time management, but idolatry"
    "If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msethsmile View Post
    So, NT "added by man" is or is not divinely inspired?
    As I stated previously, you are always trying to tear down my view of inspiration. I will repeat one last time. I believe in the inspiration of the autographs. There are different views within orthodoxy on what inspiration means.

As I have stated in this thread, you do not address Gods use (inspiration) of specific Greek words and how He used them when He inspired men to write them. It is clear what they mean when you review their use throughout the NT. To try to change the meaning of those words when they are used to describe, determine the 2nd appearing of Jesus is simply not being honest.

Our current bible was NOT Canonized until the 4th century and its contents were determined by NON inspired men. Those are just facts.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 11-10-2018 at 11:54 AM.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdbrison View Post
    Good discussion. This tidbit from one of the commentaries convicted me harshly "We are more interested in other pursuits than in seeking God through His revealed words of life (John John 6:63, John 6:68). As is often the case where Scripture is concerned, our inability to understand is more a reflection of our lack of zeal than the difficulty which attends the interpretation of God’s Word. When the average person in our country spends multiple hours in front of a television (or any screen now) daily, but “just can’t find the time” to read God’s Word, the issue is not one of time management, but idolatry"
    Nice quote

4. Member
    Men much smarter than us and more qualified in the Greek language have labored for centuries to interpret those Greek words into our english language . Some translators (KJV, NKJV as a example) over the centuries have had to change the English word because when original translators did their work, they were influenced by tradition while translating.

When we see the English word "Soon", the translators used that word because it most accurately reflects what the Greek meant. Think about that.
    Last edited by godsdozer; 11-10-2018 at 08:35 PM.

5. Member
    The question, 'So, NT "added by man" is or is not divinely inspired?' is about as neutral as it gets. Just clarification.

I always understood 'divinely inspired' had pretty much one definition: HS wrote Scripture.(seat of doctrine)--

2 Pet 1:21, "For prophecy never had its origin in the human will, but prophets, though human, spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy spirit."

Dozer concludes, "Our current bible was NOT Canonized until the 4th century and its contents were determined by NON inspired men. Those are just facts."

--and thus introduces subjectivity into the conversation. Where is the certainty of salvation (Gospel) when Scripture is subjective? Answer: out the window.

Mark this: God wants certainty of salvation for His people. "I will not forget you! See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands." (Is 49:16)
    --God has carved your name on His hands! That's certainty! Please read Psalm 46. Certainty. Read 46 to someone on their deathbed. I have, more than once. I must have left out the subjective part---oops.
    Last edited by msethsmile; 11-12-2018 at 09:25 AM.

6. Member
    More certainty:
    "Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine." Is 43:1

'redeemed'--Christ

7. Member
    More certainty of salvation from God:

"While we were still sinners (Law), Christ died for us.(Gospel)" Rom 5:8 (my emphasis)

8. Member
    John 5:39-40 You study[a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

MS,

I have certainty because by Gods grace and mercy he raised me from the dead and gave me faith to believe.

I honor the bible, believe the autographs were inspired. But I do not place my hope in the scriptures as if they are God...……………….They simply point me to the one who can and does give eternal life.

9. Member
    MS , agian you still refuse to address post #1

10. Member
    More certainty of salvation from God (as found in Scripture):

"For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love that is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom 8:38

11. Member
    More certainty of salvation from God (as found in Scripture):

Jeremiah writes under the inspiration of the HS--therefore you may have confidence it is true--
    (Jerusalem was under total destruction. Mothers were eating their offspring due to lack of food. Into this darkness comes a shining light, some of the sweetest Gospel in all scripture; for them, you and me):

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
    23 They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness.
    24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my portion;
    therefore I will wait for him.” Lamentations 3:22-24

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godsdozer View Post
    John 5:39-40 You study[a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me,40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

MS,

I have certainty because by Gods grace and mercy he raised me from the dead and gave me faith to believe.

I honor the bible, believe the autographs were inspired. But I do not place my hope in the scriptures as if they are God...……………….They simply point me to the one who can and does give eternal life.

I dont have a total grasp on everything or even close to it but I have 2 questions. Are you saying that revalations has already happened? That may be way off, just a question though as I think that's what your saying. You say you dont believe the word is God, doesnt the bible say other wise? John 1:1 I'm just trying to understand what your saying.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    I dont have a total grasp on everything or even close to it but I have 2 questions. Are you saying that revalations has already happened? That may be way off, just a question though as I think that's what your saying. You say you dont believe the word is God, doesnt the bible say other wise? John 1:1 I'm just trying to understand what your saying.
    Kry29, I am sorry my thread seems confusing, its not but MS makes it seems that way because he can not respond to the original post.

I will answer your questions to the point.

#1 I do not expect you to have a total grasp on everything. I do not either and I have been studying and following Jesus since I was 12 years old.

#2 Yes, I do believe Revelation (revelations ?, there is a huge difference ) has been fulfilled, there is only one book , Revelation...………………………………….ONLY BECAUSE INSPRIRED WRITERS ALONG WITH JESUS said it would be fulfilled in a little while, shortly, at hand and even Jesus himself said many times in the book of Revelation (read the last chapter, in red letters) I am coming quickly. Many don't understand, many want to protect their doctrines and are simply afraid to let scripture define scripture (hermeneutics ).

#3 I HAVE NEVER SAID I DO NOT BELIEVE THE WORD OF GOD ( please quote anytime I have said that) ...…………………………. quite the contrary...………..those who cannot read the text and the words of God which He used have hard time believing the Word of God. Instead they hurl vicious assaults at my view of inspiration in a desperate attempt to malign me.

#4 I hope this clears up what I have said in any of my post here on BBC

14. Member
    If yall do a cursory review of the NT.................................you see the relgiouse people (those who attended the syngouges / churches of our day)................tried to malign Jesus and his followers at every step. same thing is happening here, and still MS doesn't respond to my original post #1

15. Member
    I have certainty of my salvation......................................... ................

16. Member
    For those who do not know, Salvation is tied to the second appearing of Jesus. I am trying to be patient with the relgious here on BBC who do not understand what is written in the bible about Salvation .....................and WHEN IT WOULD HAPPEN.

17. Member
    Here is a hint ………………...Romans 13:11 "And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed."

Romans was written in the late 50s- to early 60s of the first century. There had been thousands upon 10 thousands who had placed their trust in Jesus as recorded in the Book of Acts and the gospels ect. If they had received Salvation then upon belief...………………………...why did Paul record their salvation was near now then when they first believed many years after they had believed. LOL

If those reading this thread understood the term "time" kiros it may be of great help.

Don't let tradition get in the way of understanding scripture.

18. Member
    Because there has been so much smoke and mirro in my thread, Ill repeat post #1

1. Please define the word "Prologue"

2. Please define the orthodox definition of the word "revelation"

3. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "soon" in the N.T. How many times was it used by the N.T. writers ? What is the nature of its usage for each time it is found in the N.T. ?

4. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "near" in the N.T. What is the nature of its usage each time it is found in the N.T. ?

5. Please look up the Greek word which is translated "Time" in the N.T. How many times is it used ? What is the nature of its usage each time it used ?

Notice in vs. 1 ….... the usage of the phrase "
    what must
    "
    soon take place
    . If something "
    must
    " soon take place, it cant mean it "
    might
    ".

If this forum is for "Increasin Our Faith"...………….and I think it is...………………………….Please do your due diligence in sharing your findings to the few questions I asked.

thanks for reading , look forward to reading your findings..…………………..it is a wonderful study

19. Member
    σύντομα

20. Member
    κοντά

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast