8' or 10' Powerpole Blades

I am getting Powerpoles in the spring and cant decide which size to get, I have a 20'
    Bass Cat Cougar with a 250hp Yamaha. What are your opinions?

2. Member
    Depends on where ya fish. I fish mississippi pools 11 & 12 mostly, and 8ft do fine in backwaters. But main channel points and such 10ft might help. But honestly, if you fishin main channel, you're probably holdin your boat in deeper than 10ft. So for me i use 8's. But if you fishin lakes or reservoirs that you are on an edge, you may want 10s.

3. Member
    I fish pool 8-11 a lot so couldn't decide if I would have an edge running 10s and storage wouldn't be an issue so I cant decide.

Are you prepared to lose 2-4 mph, double your holeshot time and invest in new lower pitch props, An Ultrex in most cases is the better way to go and water depth is not a factor and the guy in the back does not have to deal with poles in his way. I can not think even one time that I felt poles would have been better for me
    Thank You Leon Pugh

5. Member
    Only thing is we fish a ton of shallow water slop and backwater stuff that an ultrex would hurt and I already hit 80.5-81mph so a couple mph loss wont be too bad. I will be getting an Ultrex soon though.

6. Member
    I went with 8's due to looks and wish I had 10's.... Not a big deal, but the extra 2 ft would be nice.

7. Member
    If you’re going to end up getting an Ultrex I’d go with the 8’ poles. Those should be plenty for most of the backwater fishing on the upper Mississippi

8. Indiana Bass Club Moderator billius's Avatar
    I'd get the 10' poles. I have the 8 footers, for where I fish, they are pretty much worthless. They were on the boat when I bought it, I surely wouldn't have spent the money to have them put on.
    Bill Gard
    Richmond, Indiana
    2015 BassCat Caracal/225ProXs
    TEAM SHERM'S MARINE
    Of course I talk to myself...sometimes I need expert advice.

9. Member
    Well if storage isnt an issue, and you up by lansing hittin smallies on rock piles, id go with 10s. But, like i said, the 8s do fine as well. Especially back in pads, grass, and frog water.

10. Member
    Talons come in 8, 10, 12, &15

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cestratton View Post
    Talons come in 8, 10, 12, &15
    Just got a Pro Deal by Powerpole so Talons are not an option, Powerpoles are better in current anyways

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Are you prepared to lose 2-4 mph, double your holeshot time and invest in new lower pitch props, An Ultrex in most cases is the better way to go and water depth is not a factor and the guy in the back does not have to deal with poles in his way. I can not think even one time that I felt poles would have been better for me
    Agreed, until you get in the thick hydrilla here in the shallow Florida lakes. Then Talons or Poles have the advantage. I will be adding an Ultrex soon, but have seen first hand the advantages of having both shallow water anchors and an Ultrex.
    Brad Krone

I have tens and anchor in 9' a lot. But my next set will more then likely be 8'ers. Looks size speed weight ultrex
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

14. Member
    I also have a cougar with dual 8' poles and have noticed not loss in speed or hole shot. Loaded right with 2 people I'm seeing high 70's to low 80s. Hole shot is about 2.5-3 seconds

I loose about 1-2 mph on top end from Poles.  Guessing the diff between 8s and 10s ain't much.

My 8s won't go in to my primary garage without deploying first, my world HQ garage is a 10 ft door, so no issue there.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

16. Member
    I had one 10’ on my last boat and when I boat my current boat I went with two 8’s. If had it to do over I’d have went with two 10’s.