Charging question

I have a 24v trolling motor, wired with 2 12v batteries to make 12v, trolling motor works fine, but when Im charging trough my 3 bank charger it never shows that the batteries are fully charged in the morning before I leave to fish. Usually says they are 1/2 to 3/4 charged. My charger is a 3 bank and I have it hooked to each battery (cranking, and to trolling motor) individually. Do I need to rig my charger differently? could this be a battery issue? should I just rewire my batteries to the charger to ensure it is not a connectivity issue?

2. Member
    How many amps is the charger? lower amp chargers take longer to fully charge batteries.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

3. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Hard to say without more specifics on charger, batteries and the voltage on the batteries after being on the charger for 24 hours.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcawthon View Post
    I have a 24v trolling motor, wired with 2 12v batteries to make 12v, trolling motor works fine, but when Im charging trough my 3 bank charger it never shows that the batteries are fully charged in the morning before I leave to fish. Usually says they are 1/2 to 3/4 charged. My charger is a 3 bank and I have it hooked to each battery (cranking, and to trolling motor) individually. Do I need to rig my charger differently? could this be a battery issue? should I just rewire my batteries to the charger to ensure it is not a connectivity issue?
    First, why do you wire two batteries to make 12V for a 24V trolling motor. Why aren't they wired in series for 24V. If they are wired in parallel for 12V, and you have each bank to one battery, this means you have two banks trying to charge one "large" 12V battery. The banks may be reading themselves and cutting out prematurely.
    John
    BBC Sponsor since 2006: (870) 773-3474
    Mon - Thrs 8am - 5pm Central
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    ASC for: Garmin, Lowrance, Minnkota, Humminbird, and Powerpole.
    [SIGPIC] http://www.jonestrollingmotor.com
    [/SIGPIC]

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonestrollingmotor View Post
    First, why do you wire two batteries to make 12V for a 24V trolling motor. Why aren't they wired in series for 24V. If they are wired in parallel for 12V, and you have each bank to one battery, this means you have two banks trying to charge one "large" 12V battery. The banks may be reading themselves and cutting out prematurely.
    John
    Egg zachary!! Did you perhaps make a mistake and type 12 volts and mean 24?

Surely a typo ?

7. Member
    Typo I have 2 12v batteries wired into a 12v system for a 12v trolling motor. My mistake.

8. Member
    Typo I have 2 12v batteries wired into a 12v system for a 12v trolling motor. My mistake.
    OK, with a charger lead on each of the 12V batteries, there is a chance that each lead is reading the batteries as one 12V battery. Sometimes in this case, the leads will cut back on charging based on the voltage/output each bank sees from the other set of leads. This can give false readings to the charger.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    Garmin Certified Dealer and Installers: Call us for all your Garmin Electronics needs!
    [/SIGPIC]

9. Member
    So should he put a cutoff switch in between the 2 batteries to separate them while charging?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigman78 View Post
    So should he put a cutoff switch in between the 2 batteries to separate them while charging?
    He could, or he could tape off one set of leads and see if one set will charge his batteries.
    Friday 8am-12pm
    [/SIGPIC]

11. Member
    With multiple charger outputs on the same battery (bank) the voltage at which they switch from one stage to the next will never be the same however the difference should be minor. So as battery voltage creeps toward a threshold, instead of all the charge switching to the next level at one time, just one will switch first leaving the other carrying the majority of the load until the second charger line reaches the threshold and switches. Overall the effect on charging time should be minor.

12. Member
    The lands of the former Republic of Texas
    I agree with Ann-Marie on this one....

during the important bulk (fill) phase, both banks will see the shared low battery voltages as one voltage and each bank working together will more quickly supply any needed high bulk amps to successfully bring voltages up to complete the bulk fill stage completion level........

After that, we care little, as a single charging bank will take the lead and and easily have the capacity to complete the remaining charging cycles while the other bank on also seeing the same applied voltages will be essentially' along for the ride' so to speak doing little or nothing of any additional charging.

No problem or consequences having two smart charging banks in parallel, at least that I have ever seen, only benefits.
    Last edited by Lou r Pitcher; 11-02-2018 at 06:28 PM.

13. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Ok, so this begs the question...why are his trolling motor batteries never showing that they’re fully charged if the charger should have no problem charging each bank when they’re wired in parallel?

op, have you checked the voltage of your TM batteries at “full charge”? Do they fall off after 24 hours?
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

14. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Casslaw View Post
    Ok, so this begs the question...why are his trolling motor batteries never showing that they’re fully charged if the charger should have no problem charging each bank when they’re wired in parallel?

op, have you checked the voltage of your TM batteries at “full charge”? Do they fall off after 24 hours?

As I said before

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Hard to say without more specifics on charger, batteries and the voltage on the batteries after being on the charger for 24 hours.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

15. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Yes, yes you did!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV