Motorguide Xi5 Not Turning Off When Stowed

Hello. I have a Motorguide Xi5 that is not turning off when stowed. The GPS is also not acquiring a signal unless I cycle power when it is deployed. I think the issues are related. I looked for some type of switch or sensor to detect whether the motor is stowed or deployed and I am coming up empty. Does anyone know how it senses the motor position?

2. Member
    I am not in the shop today, but will be in the am. I will let you know what I think it is. I have to check service manual.

3. Member
    Sent you a PM

4. Member
    New to this forum! And looking for some help with my Xi5. I'm having the same issues as HeavyD01. Unit will not turn off when stowed and will not lock onto GPS? Any help would be appreciated.

5. Member
    An update on mine - I am planning on taking mine in for service under warranty. I was just waiting for the soft water fishing season to be done and I am just about there. I'll post back when I figure out what it was.

6. Member
    PM me your e-mail address and I will send the document IO received from Motor Guide. It is reladed to a magnet and sensor located on the side of the base near the steering module.

7. Member
    I had this problem too. Mine is linked to my Lowrance. Dont know the right fix but if I hit the M on my hand controler it shuts off otherwise it keeps trying to anchor.

8. Member

xi5

mine does the same called service they said gps will stay on must unplug or it will drain battery. no other way called mg they did not know about this.

9. Member
    Update - I had mine in for service and they replaced the control board under warranty. The shop said the problem is solved but it will be some time before I can verify as everything is currently frozen around here.

10. Member
    I have a new XI3 that is doing the very same thing. It will not shut off after being stowed. For now I can use the circuit breaker for the trolling motor to turn off the power, but being brand new, I should not have to. I called motorguide and they told me that they were not aware of this problem!!!! Any help will be appreciated.

11. Member
    Old questions but contacted motorguide. They said the xi3 doesn’t turn off when stowed.