Puddlepirate198

Live wells losing water

I have an 06 198. Never had any issues with my livewells. Recently noticed my screen over my drain hole in the livewell got knocked off. Since then I'm losing water into the bilge area. And every time I make a run when I stop I have to pump water back in. Has anyone had this issue and is there a way to replace this screen. It's got a rubber seal around the bottom but I didn't know if they were originally glued or how they were attached. Thanks

2. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Not sure the screen has the issue. Also do not know if they are glued in...

Check and see if your "open/closed" valve in the bilge is working properly. These rascals are frequently the issue when live wells drain un-asked...

3. Banned
    If you’re losing water into the bilge then you have either a cracked hose, cracked pump housing or a leak around the livewell fitting.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grout-scout View Post
    If you’re losing water into the bilge then you have either a cracked hose, cracked pump housing or a leak around the livewell fitting.
    Agree with grout.....

The live well screen is a push in/pull out fitting. You may have to slide a thin blade between the plug and live well to get it started out.

The fitting on the left is the newer live well fitting if you were to order it from Flow-Rite. The fitting on the right is the original Flow-rite from my 2006 198. Notice the 1/4" lip on the bottom of the new fitting, that's what causes the live wells in the newer boats to not drain completely. You have to manually pull the newer screen to get the live well to completely drain.

Ed R.

2006 ChampioN 198 225 Optimax

5. Puddlepirate198
    Thanks for the input. I'll replace the screen with a new one even though it sounds like there not as good of a setup if they leave a little water in the bottom. It maybe my manual valve because I don't notice it until I get on plane and shut back down. Maybe it's comin out when the drain hole is out of the water while runnin. Thanks

6. Banned
    Could be the valve, earlier you mentioned it was going into the bilge though.

7. Member
    Remove the panel covering the forward wall of the aft compartment. Close the live well valve and put water in the well with a water hose. See if that water is leaking from the recirculating pump mounted behind the livewell. In the 06 that pump should be a Rule with an o-ring between the 2 pieces that make the pump housing and they are bad about leaking.

8. Member
    Is your livewell water draining into your bilge. In my 05 198 my valve doesnt close completly and when i make a long run my well is empty and so is my bilge. That tells me it drained out into the lake while i was running. When i pull my boat out of the water if i dont open my valve it will still leak out of the drain hole at my transom. I think your valve is your problem i know its mine.
    05 198scx champion 225 merc pro XS
    95 202dcx elite champion 225 merc efi
    95 181dc champion 150 xr6blackmax merc

My money is on the valve. I recently pulled mine on my 198 and found it was in need of a rebuild (kit available). The local shop is rebuilding my valve, replacing my cable and going through all my pumps- it was time for a 12 year refresh on all of those things.