Question First BOW purchase

Looking at getting into archery. Have only shot one bow for 20 minutes last fall. What your suggestions on a purchase of first bow? Difference in $300-$400 bows and $500-$700 bows and up?Are most bows good bows to start out with? Thanks

I should add I have almost $400 in gift cards for BPS/ Cabelas. What about Ready to Shoot or Hunt bows?
    Last edited by usabassin; 10-29-2018 at 04:06 PM.

2. Member
    Same as which truck is best!. Got to local bowshop and get a used bow. Have them measure your draw length and set up bow to your style. No need to get a 70 lb pull.55-65 will be more than enough.

3. Member
    I responded to your lounge post. Good luck and have fun.

I shot a ready to hunt bow for many years, it was a good bow never had any issues with it. Last year, I bought a used bow, it's amazing how much technology with bows changed in the last 10 years. This bow is light years ahead of my old one. There is nothing wrong with going with a lower end ready to hunt bow, they are all pretty good bows now. If you are looking at a higher end bow, I don't think I would ever buy new again, there are too many people that trade bows in every year just to get something new and you can get virtually a brand new bow for half price. I bought an Elite energy that was fully set up with drop away rest, sight, stabilizers, everything for half the price of a brand new bare bow. It was only 2 years old and you couldn't tell it wasn't brand new.

5. T Dub
    If you have money to blow and want something with all the bells and whistles get any of the new high end bows ($1,000+), but if you just want to kill deer any of the ready-to-shoot bows will be good and you can usually find a couple year old used high end bow for half price. I still use a 2005 model bowtech and have almost upgraded a couple times to get more speed, etc. but then I remember that some people still use recurves and long bows.

6. Panfish Forum Moderator SOONER*REDNECK's Avatar
    I have shot Matthews in the past and then got out of bow hunting and picked up a crossbow. Im fixing to buy another bow and get back into it. I will either buy a used hoyt or mathews or a new PSE or Bear. Dont want to spend a fortune. Good luck!

7. Member
    Use the 400 to buy a blackout intrigue. They are mid 300 and made by diamond. I have the exact bow and it is awesome

8. Member
    Go shoot them at archery shops and find what you want. THEN go on archery talk.com and look in the classified. You can find a year old bow for 1/3 the price! Archers are worse then bass fisherman about having the newest and greatest
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

9. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    Archerytalk is a great board! They have a sub-division for every topic imaginable.
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

10. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Not sure if you've bought one yet? Don't get caught up in all the hype this bow that bow etc... In reality at your stage you will not know the difference between any 2 bows.

What I suggest is go to a true bow pro shop and be fitted this is the most crucial part of being able to shoot good.

Learn the fundamentals.

A coach or mentor in the beginning will move you forward 3 years or better almost instantly. Learning correct is far easier than breaking bad habits.

Shoot a lot!

Once you start getting the feel you'll start understanding the differences in cams, limbs, risers, sights, releases, rests, arrows, etc...then you start upgrading to what you like and is comfortable to you not me or others.

Like said above there is a lot of good bows out there when time comes I would definitely look at used. A lot of guys get discounts or sponsors, shoot for a year or less sell cheap and buy new. I done this for a while until I cut some tendons that shut me down. I plan to start back shooting soon.

And warning it can become an obsession then you'll be buying new and selling every year!