Thread: Spinner baits

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Spinner baits

Who makes a good 1/2 oz spinner bait. I am wanting to start fishing one a little more but it seems after one or two days of throwing them the blades stop spinning or the rubber band on the skirt falls off. I don't mind paying good money for a bait but I want it to work until I lose it. What do you recommend?

2. Member
    War Eagle
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

3. Member
    Honestly I just stick with my Nichols but tie the skirts on myself with braided line after trimming them. Few baits are perfectly ready out of the package. Takes 2 minutes of prep and they last for a long time.

4. Member
    Love me some war eagle, but the heads seem to wallow out pretty quickly. Still work and will fish them till the skirts come apart. Save these for important days

But for everyday use, pepper custom baits. Work great, durable.

Ag
    I am the real Scubby McScruberson!

5. Scraps
    I agree with the War Eagles. They catch fish, though spinnerbaits have fallen out of favor around here to shallow cranking.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

War eagles are good,but fragile,Ive moved on to River 2 sea..so far so good

7. Member
    Strike King

8. Member
    hawg caller

9. Member
    War Eagle or Terminator T1
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

I've fished War Eagle for years but the last few batch's I've got have wallowed out really quick. Some even had a slight wallow out of the package. Still haven't found a replacement but I'm liking the R2S one's pretty good.

I used to be a War Eagle or bust guy, but just got tired of them breaking so often. You guys that like War Eagle should contact Paul at ACT Lures and have him make you a few and try them out. They've got all of the attributes I love with War Eagle - namely the wire with the perfect blend of flex and snag resistance (he uses piano wire) and a good ball-bearing swivel that gives that easy start-up inertia so you're not having to jerk it to get the blades moving - but they don't wallow out inside the head the first time you hook a smallmouth, pike, bowfin, etc. Being able to get whatever color combination you want with whatever blades you want is a bonus, and it's a true custom job complete with a hand tied skirt for about the same cost as the War Eagle. Being in MN where the only places we have shad is on the river, I tend to prefer spinnerbaits in patterns like black and blue or green pumpkin. War Eagle really doesn't offer those colors.

ACT Lures is a BBC sponsor and Paul's username is paulpus. Seriously, you won't be disappointed.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    I used to be a War Eagle or bust guy, but just got tired of them breaking so often. You guys that like War Eagle should contact Paul at ACT Lures and have him make you a few and try them out. They've got all of the attributes I love with War Eagle - namely the wire with the perfect blend of flex and snag resistance (he uses piano wire) and a good ball-bearing swivel that gives that easy start-up inertia so you're not having to jerk it to get the blades moving - but they don't wallow out inside the head the first time you hook a smallmouth, pike, bowfin, etc. Being able to get whatever color combination you want with whatever blades you want is a bonus, and it's a true custom job complete with a hand tied skirt for about the same cost as the War Eagle. Being in MN where the only places we have shad is on the river, I tend to prefer spinnerbaits in patterns like black and blue or green pumpkin. War Eagle really doesn't offer those colors.

ACT Lures is a BBC sponsor and Paul's username is paulpus. Seriously, you won't be disappointed.
    Does he have a website?

ACTLures.com, but doesn't have spinnerbaits listed due to the eCommerce service he uses limiting to the number of products he can list on his page. Shooting a private message to paulpus is the best way to order them.

Just looked back through my PayPal history to confirm cost of my last order of them: $39.50 for 5 completely custom spinnerbaits shipped which would put them at $7 a piece plus $4.50 shipping. That was current as of April 20th.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

14. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    I use a lot of the Titanium Terminator spinnerbaits and Strike King. The Terminators hold the skirt well and have been my go to since they came out. I do NOT like the non titanium models. The Strike King come with a good Colorado/Indiana hybrid that I prefer to fish over the dual willow leaf designs.

I hear a lot lot of people saying that they don’t throw spinnerbaits, that’s fine for me...they still catch fish! This little girl hit a 1/2oz Strike King in August...I’ll keep throwing them.

I am waiting patiently for the new Z-Man SlingBladez to come out...ordered them a couple months ago and it now says they will ship 11/17. I’m hoping these will be a good bait. They look good from the pictures I’ve seen.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

15. Member
    For the last fifteen years War Eagle nickel spinnerbait double willow silver/gold 3/8 - 1/2 oz. in Sexy shad. Flat catch fish anywhere. Problem is you never know if it will break on fish #1 or #21. Hoping these new Zman baits catch them as well without the breaking part.

16. Member
    I did not know that Paul ( ACT Lures) made spinner baits, that is good to know. I have been having Paul custom make baits for me for a while, matter fact I have him working on a couple projects this week. I went and ordered War Eagle spinnerbaits from TW earlier today, but I will surely get with Paul and see what he can do for me. Thanks for the info that all have shared.

I can confirm the Z-Man SlingBladeZ catch fish. Spent 4 days on Lake of the Ozarks throwing the same 3/8 oz tandem chart/white.
    Tough bite so I still haven't been able to break it. 5-6 bass a day, and a number of white bass. No sign of the head wallowing. I'm thoroughly impressed with them.
    BTW, they are in stock on the Z-Man website now.

18. Better Lucky Than Good! Casslaw's Avatar
    They’re in stock? I ordered from Tacklewarehouse because they were brought up in a thread on here and I liked the design so much I ordered them because of that thread...I believe iCast was going on at the time. I figured TW was a good place to order from...I guess I can look at the pics on the Z-man website! Thanks for the update, I’m sure they’re going to catch fish...they didn’t reinvent the wheel or anything but I like the subtle changes they made that will wear less on parts and keep slimy weeds off.

Cant wait to try them out!
    2006 Triton SP-185, 2006 Evinrude Etec 90, PowerTech NRS3, Garmin Echomap Plus 73CV & 93SV

Quote Originally Posted by eyra_kid View Post
    I can confirm the Z-Man SlingBladeZ catch fish. Spent 4 days on Lake of the Ozarks throwing the same 3/8 oz tandem chart/white.
    Tough bite so I still haven't been able to break it. 5-6 bass a day, and a number of white bass. No sign of the head wallowing. I'm thoroughly impressed with them.
    BTW, they are in stock on the Z-Man website now.
    Get them into any vegetation to see how they do there compared to others? Clearly some innovative design and otherwise high-quality craftsmanship across the board, but the way they look like they shed weeds was the thing that caught my eye most about them.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"

Casslaw, I don't know about anywhere else. I'd bet Tackle Warehouse will have them very shortly.

Drew, not much vegetation there. Bit of reeds or waterwillows around the backs of a few pockets. Came through that stuff just fine. FYI, I did see a bluegill color for you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast