Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Z8 Bow Electronics Mounting Question

Hey Guys,

New nitro owner here!

I just got a 2012 Nitro Z8 that didn't come with any electronics in the front. I'm planning on moving the Helix 12 that's at the dash up to the bow and have been trying to think about the best place to mount it.

I like the Dek-It mounts that go across the front of the trolling motor pedal tray. However, I don't think that's going to work since the Ultrex pedal is too wide to slide all the way to the back of the TM tray. So there wouldn't be enough clearance between the pedal and the electronics bracket.

My question is, can I mount a unit that size on the front panel above the TM pedal, next to the trim switch? I wouldn't be able to flush mount it, but that's fine. My concern is that the panel might be too flimsy to hold a unit that size, especially when I'm fishing the great lakes. See the pic for reference.

Has anyone here mounted electronics like that, on the front panel? Would I just be better off getting a RAM mount and bolting it to the deck? Or should I just go crazy and install a new TM tray to give me enough clearance for the Dek-It?

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    I have the same boat and have my HDS 9 mounted on the Precision Sonar mount and I think it would be worth it to get the new trolling motor tray. Another potential option would be to have a customized mount built similar to the Precision Sonar bow mount that would be high enough to allow room for the pedal. It is not a complicated concept and I know a few guys who have made their own, I'm just not sure how high the mount would have to stick up or whether that could be a realistic option. I wouldn't mount it to the panel, especially a graph of that size in rough water.

That panel could not survive my hds9, however I saw a custom panel that was flat and make out of starboard could be aluminum if you wanted, that would hold a 12" also trimming the heel of your footwell can get the pedal back and a option like you said would work. I have a 111u 3.68" ram ball mount on the glass in front of the flimsy panel. Holds great
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

4. Member
    You could also put spacers under the Dek-It mount to raise it up higher to give you clearance between the pedal and the mount. I had clearance issues on my 929 and made two nylon spacers to raise my Dek-It mount up by approx. 2".

5. Member
    These are some solid ideas guys, thanks. Where did you find the Nylon spacers, just Ace Hardware or something and get some longer screws?

I considered trimming the the heel of the footwell like Fishysam suggested, but wasn't sure if there'd be gaps in the floor and sides of the footwell from the areas I cut out.

6. Member
    I cut in a trolling motor tray and used the wave tamer (over the pedal) mount and couldn't be happier. It looks super clean, and the front graph never moves and is out of the way.

Before that I had a ram and hated it in rough water. I have a buddy with the same boat and he went with a "solid arm" style mount and seems to be happy. It's just off to the side of the pedal. I never did like how shallow the factory trolling motor tray was anyways so it was a win, win for me.
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natrix19 View Post
    These are some solid ideas guys, thanks. Where did you find the Nylon spacers, just Ace Hardware or something and get some longer screws?

I considered trimming the the heel of the footwell like Fishysam suggested, but wasn't sure if there'd be gaps in the floor and sides of the footwell from the areas I cut out.
    We just happened to have a few sheets of Nylon at work that I trimmed and used for the spacers. I painted them black before I installed them. You should be able to pickup Nylon at McMaster Carr or maybe a hardware store. I did use longer bolts then and bolted it directly yo my deck. It was very solid. It held my 1198 very well.

Here are a few pics

I just did this job on my footwell a couple of months ago. I filled the holes with Marine Tex. Here's the whole story... http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....842&highlight=

I used the RAM 109H with the extension arm to mount my Helix 10. I like the flexibility it gives me for moving it out of my way if necessary. It is rock solid even in the roughest water I've ever encountered. This picture was taken before I did the modification to the well.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

9. Member
    I made a custom panel out of ABS plastic.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S
    12" Atlas Hydraulic
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    Solix 15, Solix 12, Solix 10
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 Ipilot Link

10. Member
    Natrix - I had my Lowrance HDS8Gen2 mounted on the front panel with an aluminum backer and top plate - but ended up breaking a couple of the actual mounting points (screws in top corners) on the front panel during some pretty rough water on KY/Barkley - while I would NOT recommend this setup I did run it this way for several years. I run a bridge over the pedal with a Lowrance Gen2 12 now but I am thinking about the Ultrex install as well trying to maximize space and pedal room...which I really like BigFishMike's replacement panel...

BigFishMike - that is a sweet setup - did you happen to do a thread on that build? Or could you share any info - materials? How did you shape it? Did you bend it? How thick of an ABS Panel? Again it looks very cool and something I am going to explore this winter for sure...looks WAY better than my current beat up front panel. The ABS Materials don't seem too pricey so will probably give it a shot.

Thanks.

-Jonathan
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

11. Member
    I ordered a sheet of 1/4" ABS off ebay. To build it I made a cardboard template and then copied it over to the plastic. I then cut it out using various tools. Believe it or not a bench grinder worked the best to not melt it and allow me to shape it. I then smoothed out the edges with sandpaper and then used a heat gun to bend the front panel down. Just go slow and be careful with the heat. Then just drill holes for mounting. I was surprised how strong the ABS is.
    2020 Nitro Z21 Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S
    12" Atlas Hydraulic
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blades
    Solix 15, Solix 12, Solix 10
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 Ipilot Link

12. Member
    1/4" ABS is some pretty stout stuff....esp after you shape it and add that bend. Nice job!

13. Member
    Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm kind of leaning towards putting in a new tray, to get that extra depth and keep a nice clean look.

Will I have any issues installing the new tray given that the current tray butts all the way up to that front panel?

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm kind of leaning towards putting in a new tray, to get that extra depth and keep a nice clean look.

Will I have any issues installing the new tray given that the current tray butts all the way up to that front panel?
    I think that is the issue. That's why I choose to just cut mine out and retain the factory TM well.

There is one guy on the Nitro forum that had a TM well custom fabricated to drop down to the same level as the bottom of the bow panel. Didn't seem like it cost much more that the ones you can buy from TW. Do a search and locate it...it might help you.

Otherwise, the the standard trays that are available, will have the top edge unsupported and just sort of hanging there next to the bow panel. I have not seen one of the prefab TM footwells installed in a Nitro, I'm just looking at it and thinking that's a problem.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Member
    There was quite a few of us who cut trays in last year to our boats. Had to get custom fabricated trays to do it. Think it costed around $150 for the powder coated tray.

I can try to find the emails with all the details and the drawings of the tray with dimensions if you're interested. Also have pics of the install but can't figure out how to post them.

I was really happy with how it came out!
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

16. Member
    That would be awesome if you could do that Sparky!
    I did a quick search and found this thread, that I'm assuming is the custom tray from FishOn Fabrications?

http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread....+trolling+tray

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky292 View Post
    There was quite a few of us who cut trays in last year to our boats. Had to get custom fabricated trays to do it. Think it costed around $150 for the powder coated tray.

I can try to find the emails with all the details and the drawings of the tray with dimensions if you're interested. Also have pics of the install but can't figure out how to post them.

I was really happy with how it came out!
    E them to me and I'll resize them and post them. I'd like to see them too.

soonerfan591@gmail.com
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

18. Member
    That is the forum and pics but myself and another changed some measurements before getting them made. And if you don't want it to "taper" down to 9" and make it a rectangle it's only around 80 bucks I think.

I'll email you sooner, thanks!
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL

19. Member
    Awesome guys, can't wait to see it!

Pictures of Sparkys custom installation.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast