New FICHT Computer ?

My BIL has a 1998 ( I believe ) Evinrude 175HP FICHT motor . He put it in the shop a few weeks ago because the motor just wasn't running good . The local shop diagnosed his problem to be a computer problem and sent the computer off to some company in another state that diagnosed it as un fixable . The local shop then quoted my BIL some outrageous price on a new computer and he just aint gonna sink that kind of money into a 20 yr old boat that needs a little work . What do all of yall recommend ? Is there a cheaper option , does anyone know of a good place for me to start looking for a used computer that will fit his motor ? Are there any other year models or HP that will still work on his 98 model 175 ? Thanks for the help guys !!!!
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team
    If you aint first , your last !!!
    All fat girls welcomed !!!!!

2. Scraps
    DFI Technologies used to be the place. Had the same motor and same issue. The deal was you send them the bad computer and they send you a good one. Was like $700. Shouldn't be much more than that for the dealer.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    DFI Technologies used to be the place. Had the same motor and same issue. The deal was you send them the bad computer and they send you a good one. Was like $700. Shouldn't be much more than that for the dealer.
    Thanks for the quick response .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

The problem I had was my technician was authorized by Evinrude so he would only install OEM parts. With DFI being a independent source he would not install a computer rebuilt by them. This was several years ago and he has since retired and no longer turns wrenches. At the time it took the cost from something like a few hundred $ to a tad over $1000 if me memory is correct. I don't even know if Evinrude still offers a computer for sale on Ficht's because a lot of parts are very hard to find for certain motors in the time of what you have. If they do it will more than likely be priced so high it would be hard to sink that kida of $ into a 20 year old motor. That's pretty much the reason I re-powered. I sunk a little over a grand in my motor when it was 5-6 years old for a new computer. Then 7-8 years later the start assist circuit in the computer starts acting up. By this point in time I am at 900+ hours and needing a second computer. In reality my motor was worth more in parts because some things were hard to find for it. I found a dealer with a leftover E-TECH 150 HO that would take mine on trade in and the rest is history.

DFI Technologies were know to fix them for a decent price. If DFI cant fix the computer then your options went from expensive to very expensive.

5. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    If you strike out with either DFI or Marine computer supply try calling Mike (Pennman here formerly) at 770-912-8866 he is a parts recycler and specializes in older OMC Ficht parts. Good thing about the ECU is the injectors aren't compensated so the ECU should be a plug and play.

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    If you strike out with either DFI or Marine computer supply try calling Mike (Pennman here formerly) at 770-912-8866 he is a parts recycler and specializes in older OMC Ficht parts. Good thing about the ECU is the injectors aren't compensated so the ECU should be a plug and play.
    Thanks ChampioNman !
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

7. Scraps
    I used to say I was "Fucht" with that motor. Though honestly it ended up being a reliable motor after all the updates and only suffered from operator error.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    I used to say I was "Fucht" with that motor. Though honestly it ended up being a reliable motor after all the updates and only suffered from operator error.
    My BIL's has been a pretty good motor . I mean , its only 20yrs old now ! LOL
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

9. Member
    I just got my computer back from CDI ! My capacitor went south, tripped the re-settable fuse, and lost the part of the program to run the injectors ! This is according to CDI ! They check whole thing out ! $614 to my door ! Also they said that if the comp. was junk, but the main chip? was still good, they could move another , same ecu, install original chip, reprogram, and you would good to go !

10. Member
    I have a computer for a ficht engine. i have all the fuel system. and all the electronice . i got all this in a warehouse i bought out. $300.00 for everything

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by challengersrt8 View Post
    I have a computer for a ficht engine. i have all the fuel system. and all the electronice . i got all this in a warehouse i bought out. $300.00 for everything
    You can't use just any computer from any ficht engine. The 1997, 1998 and 1999 are one off ECU's meaning they will only work on that specific engine. That is a good offer though.

12. Member
    I went and looked at mine. It is for a 4 cylinder. It only has 4 fuel injectors. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by challengersrt8 View Post
    Can you give me the part # off of the ECU you have ? Do you know what year it is ?
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

14. Member
    https://www.boats.net/product/evinru...c3563dd3d162ee this is the one I have fits all v6 1999 models
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

Quote Originally Posted by TOONABASSER View Post
    https://www.boats.net/product/evinru...c3563dd3d162ee this is the one I have fits all v6 1999 models
    Thanks
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

16. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Gonna be a lot easier for you and the BIL to find one if you have the model number.

17. Member
    the box was marked 586441. I don't know what year it is. I have the wiring harness stator fuel pump fuel injectors coils oil pump. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by ChampioNman View Post
    Gonna be a lot easier for you and the BIL to find one if you have the model number.
    BIL is out of town now on a hunting trip , Im waiting on the shop to call me so I can go pick up his boat for him and talk with them to see WHERE they sent his computer off to and try and get all of the details and then Ill be able to plan accordingly and try and start to find something or see if WE can actually get his fixed .
    BassCat-illac
    FastCat Fishin Team

19. Member
    Hi! Do you have any pic of your ecm? I think that I have one of those and was fixed from DFI, we junk the motor by a blown gear case. My motor is 1999.